“A tale of two cities” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 7,378 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Italian, International
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Description: Authentic and Seasonal Italian Food. Antipasti Station, Espresso Bar, Dessert Counter, Wine Cellar and Wine Club, Al Fresco Dining, Private Dining.
Cincinnati, Ohio
“A tale of two cities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Disclaimer: I am Italian, so high standards for authenticity.

This restaurant is a tale of two cities. The buffet is good. Stay away from the overly complicated stuff where many favors get mixed and stick to the simple ingredients. Then it will be an excellent experience. The fresh cheeses, the Parma ham, the mortadella, the olives are very, very good. I suspect most of these ingredient are flown in directly. I found the Parmesan somewhat plasticky and the pizza bread not crisp.

The dishes in the a la carte menu are "international Italian". I suggest to pass. There are no favors from home. I have been three times a my colleagues at work like this restaurant so my sample base is now large enough. Better stick with the buffet.

The dessert bar looks attractive. I found the sfogliatelle not very fresh. They must have been two or three days old.

Finally, the wine compartment is very disappointing. The wine list is short and of three wines I asked only one was available. The red wine was brought in chilled. This is quite common in most of Asia but one would think that a place that styles itself as Italian would know and do better.

The service is attentive, eager, but poorly trained in what they are serving.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Basilico_Managament, Manager at Basilico, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Mr. Maurizio,
Thank you very much for your recent review on our Basilico Restaurant at Regent Singapore. Your feedback is much appreciated, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our extensive buffet but I would like to apologize that some of the wines were not available on the night and would love to learn from you little more about your dissapointment with our main course selection.
It is my responsibility to ensure the satisfaction of all guests, and to ensure every guest experiences the very highest level of products and services. I would appreciate it if you could advise your email address or telephone number so I can personally contact you for further details.

Best regards,

Martin Dell
Director of Food & Beverage
Phone (65) 6725 3200 (direct)
Email: martin.dell@fourseasons.com

• Indonesian first
Hong Kong, China
“A Italian Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was invited to Basilico at the Regent hotel from a old friend for a Italian dinner, and it was Incredible. The restaurant (one of the best Italian I can remember, even better than in Italy itself), is stunning with a center buffet of freshly prepared Italian antipasti, sea food cheeses, Parma ham, salami. You just can’t stop.
The bread selection is very good too, particularly the squid ink and anchovy bread.
The main course is plated and you can choice from the menu a la carte, I went for the seabass which was perfectly cooked, juicy and flavorful.
The head chef Ciccone brought us some special pizza stuffed with truffle cheese, which was to die for.
By the end we didn’t have any space to delight into the dessert buffet and we settle for some good home made ice cream.
Very good service too.
I wish we had a restaurant like this in Hong kong.

• Visited January 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“buffet lunch for 90SGD - fantastic starters, ok main and delicious deserts & cheese”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I love their mozzarella, carpaccio, ham & melon...mniam. seafood starters not so good. main dishes choice is not as great though panfried foie-gras or pork belly was good. the finish was fantastic with choice from over 30 cheeses and delicious deserts. now, it is a pricy place. family of 4 with drinks needs to count more than 300SGD for lunch (kids pay half).

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, Singapore
“Buffet lunch .... Do it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

If you like Italian food then this is heaven.
Cold cuts, loads of mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, olive bread, artichoke ..... And this is just the salad bar. Loads of great ravioli pitons, pizza, beef roast, ribs etc etc ....then there are the freshly made desserts. Ricotta cheese cake is a must....
For cheat days only.

• Visited December 2012
somerset
“Excellent Italian Biffet at Basilico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We met for a Girls' Club Lunch. The Italian buffet at Basilico was amazing. The anti-pasta, flavoured olive oils, balsamics, hams, olives, and hors d'oeuvres were so gorgeous I couldn't quite fit in some of the wonderful looking pasta and meat dishes. I did manage a helping (or two) of the amazing desserts though ...... the tiramisu is to die for!

The staff were so friendly and welcoming. We were there just before Christmas and I loved the decorations and gingerbread candy houses in the foyer so much too, that I returned a few days later with my daughter and husband and we had their festive afternoon tea. Which was also brilliant.
Thanks Regent.