“Hostel or student's dormitory ?” 1 of 5 stars

ABC Hostel
3 Jalan Kubor, Singapore 19920, Singapore (Rochor)   |
Ranked #204 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Surabaya
“Hostel or student's dormitory ?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I don't really think that this place is a hostel, since when I stay there, there was some Singaporean that stay at this hostel for 1 month or more.It looks like a student's dormitory.
I was staying at the female dormitory, but unfortunately the room already occupied by 2 Singaporean that have stayed there for a month or more, so when I arrived there the room was full of that 2 people's things. They used all of the lockers and almost all of the room space. One of them was not friendly too.

Room Tip: If you still want to stay at this hostel, choose the private room with shower room inside, because t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Indonesian first
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

when arrived in this hostel, warm welcome from the receptionist. But the owner not that friendly. They got angry with the aircon-man who repair the aircon in my room, they screaming and using bad words. How they talk just makes me shock. The washing machine cannot be used by customers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Surabaya, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

It is not recommeded for the cleanliness and many aspects that needed improvement

We were travelling as family of four. Me, husband and daughter (12 years old) and son (3 years old). I was surprised when we checked in. Because I have to pay SGD 18 more for my son without any extra facility (no 'extra bed'), he even used our existing bed. And we also asked to paid deposit that needs to be paid on arrival. So make sure you have spare cash.

The fridge is dirty and very full. I am gonna find another hostel for my next visit to Singapore

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

ABC hostel was the first hostel I stay during my first visit to Singapore. My first impression was, "it was okay!". For me, it's not recommended for the cleanliness, but the place it's very strategist. It's behind Arab Street and Haji Lane, which is a famous hipster street in Singapore.
Overall, I'm enjoying my stay at ABC Hostel but I think I'm gonna find another hostel for my second visit to Singapore.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

ABC was the cheapest hostel that we could find in Singapore, which was great. Unfortunately, there were many aspects that needed improvement.

There is a deposit that needs to be paid on arrival, that was nowhere in our Agoda booking, so make sure you have spare cash.

The beds are like boxes, which is ok if you only wish to sleep. However, the hostel allows guests 24hours-a-day, so the 16 Japanese tourists who checked in - along with flash photography and much locker banging - at 3am, a process repeated from 6am til 8am when they checked out the same morning, could have been avoided by the owners.

The showers, toilets and Internet access were adequate, but nothing special - I guess you get what you pay for.

Some of the staff were very helpful and the laundry service was OK.

recommended if budget conquers comfortability.

Room Tip: Maybe try the smaller dorm by reception if you want a good nights sleep
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

i would give 5 star for this hostel, every went to Singapore, i would like to back to stay to this hostel, it very clean, and cheap, all the room and especiality bathroom is clean for my standar. and i really like the environment in here. if your minded just need a place to sleep, you can get more than that. Free to use internet in computer they already give, have a free breakfast, and free to use all their fasility like wasing machine, refrigerator, microwave if you need to cook some thing.
The loacation is very strategic, near MRT station, near Bugis Junction where you can buy a very cheap thing, like a souvenir or any else. but for me, the most important is near fastfood subway (my favorite place for breakfast).
and in behind of this hostel, you can find a many restaurant, especially arabian food. cool!!!!
And i have very please that they provide me many brochure in front desk for us, as an tourist, it really help me so.
and since there are many guest from Indonesia stay at there, we can very easy to book and put downpayment since they have an bank account of Indonesia local bank.

that thing make all thing feel so completely.

Room Tip: since this hostel always full, i suggest you to book it earlier from your trip day.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights from March 24. The hostel was really well known among Indonesian backpackers, so we decided to try. We booked a room for two (with common shower and toilet) and paid for about 60 SGD/pax. The rate includes blanket and towel. The room was about 2x3 m, with bunk bed and locker. I think the room was also functioned as a storage since our room has a small space. It was packed with old mattresses.

Since our room is next to the receptionist, it is quite noisy. I'm so shocked to find some baby cockroaches running easily in our room. The common bathroom near the basin/ironing area was very small. It was hard to close the door with ease. My suggestion, use the bathroom near the pantry. It is bigger. The jet spray in all toilets lost its head. And one of my discomfort was the stinky toilet. I wish they would pay attention to the cleanliness.

I got my laundry done with 10 SGD/3 kgs. It was only for washing. It is quite new experience for me since in Indonesia, doing laundry means we got our clothes ironed as well.

Despite all the experience, the hostel located perfectly in a busy yet serene area of jl. Kubor. I prefer to use buses everywhere instead of MRT since it was quite far (about 15 minutes to walk). There were nice cafes, minimart and spa around the hostel. The receptionist lady was really helpful too. It was ok, but i'm not interested to go back again. Might try another hostel next time.

Room Tip: for common shower, use the one next to the pantry. do mind that the jet spray is not working well in...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to ABC Hostel? Share your experiences!