“Won't be back” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #208 of 290 hotels in Singapore
Surabaya, Indonesia
“Won't be back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

It is not recommeded for the cleanliness and many aspects that needed improvement

We were travelling as family of four. Me, husband and daughter (12 years old) and son (3 years old). I was surprised when we checked in. Because I have to pay SGD 18 more for my son without any extra facility (no 'extra bed'), he even used our existing bed. And we also asked to paid deposit that needs to be paid on arrival. So make sure you have spare cash.

The fridge is dirty and very full. I am gonna find another hostel for my next visit to Singapore

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

ABC hostel was the first hostel I stay during my first visit to Singapore. My first impression was, "it was okay!". For me, it's not recommended for the cleanliness, but the place it's very strategist. It's behind Arab Street and Haji Lane, which is a famous hipster street in Singapore.
Overall, I'm enjoying my stay at ABC Hostel but I think I'm gonna find another hostel for my second visit to Singapore.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

ABC was the cheapest hostel that we could find in Singapore, which was great. Unfortunately, there were many aspects that needed improvement.

There is a deposit that needs to be paid on arrival, that was nowhere in our Agoda booking, so make sure you have spare cash.

The beds are like boxes, which is ok if you only wish to sleep. However, the hostel allows guests 24hours-a-day, so the 16 Japanese tourists who checked in - along with flash photography and much locker banging - at 3am, a process repeated from 6am til 8am when they checked out the same morning, could have been avoided by the owners.

The showers, toilets and Internet access were adequate, but nothing special - I guess you get what you pay for.

Some of the staff were very helpful and the laundry service was OK.

recommended if budget conquers comfortability.

Room Tip: Maybe try the smaller dorm by reception if you want a good nights sleep
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

i would give 5 star for this hostel, every went to Singapore, i would like to back to stay to this hostel, it very clean, and cheap, all the room and especiality bathroom is clean for my standar. and i really like the environment in here. if your minded just need a place to sleep, you can get more than that. Free to use internet in computer they already give, have a free breakfast, and free to use all their fasility like wasing machine, refrigerator, microwave if you need to cook some thing.
The loacation is very strategic, near MRT station, near Bugis Junction where you can buy a very cheap thing, like a souvenir or any else. but for me, the most important is near fastfood subway (my favorite place for breakfast).
and in behind of this hostel, you can find a many restaurant, especially arabian food. cool!!!!
And i have very please that they provide me many brochure in front desk for us, as an tourist, it really help me so.
and since there are many guest from Indonesia stay at there, we can very easy to book and put downpayment since they have an bank account of Indonesia local bank.

that thing make all thing feel so completely.

Room Tip: since this hostel always full, i suggest you to book it earlier from your trip day.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights from March 24. The hostel was really well known among Indonesian backpackers, so we decided to try. We booked a room for two (with common shower and toilet) and paid for about 60 SGD/pax. The rate includes blanket and towel. The room was about 2x3 m, with bunk bed and locker. I think the room was also functioned as a storage since our room has a small space. It was packed with old mattresses.

Since our room is next to the receptionist, it is quite noisy. I'm so shocked to find some baby cockroaches running easily in our room. The common bathroom near the basin/ironing area was very small. It was hard to close the door with ease. My suggestion, use the bathroom near the pantry. It is bigger. The jet spray in all toilets lost its head. And one of my discomfort was the stinky toilet. I wish they would pay attention to the cleanliness.

I got my laundry done with 10 SGD/3 kgs. It was only for washing. It is quite new experience for me since in Indonesia, doing laundry means we got our clothes ironed as well.

Despite all the experience, the hostel located perfectly in a busy yet serene area of jl. Kubor. I prefer to use buses everywhere instead of MRT since it was quite far (about 15 minutes to walk). There were nice cafes, minimart and spa around the hostel. The receptionist lady was really helpful too. It was ok, but i'm not interested to go back again. Might try another hostel next time.

Room Tip: for common shower, use the one next to the pantry. do mind that the jet spray is not working well in...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Pekanbaru, Indonesia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I was booking the hostel thru email; and booked for a room for three with bathroom attached to the room. I was specifically say that we will travel of 2 adults and one child of 5 year old. They've explain the room charges; and I've paid down payment for 2 nights stay (March 27th - 29th, 2013).

When we checking in, they just realize that my daughter is indeed 5 years old! and request me to pay for an extra charges for her! When I showed the receptionist the confirmation email; along with the detail of all the guests; they say "ooopsss...I guess they (who?) made a mistake". Anyway, I paid the additional charges.
But the torture wasn't end there.

When we enter the room; you can sense the humidity in the air. When you step on the room floor; it leave watermark as the room had been wet all day long. You can sniff the smell of "bad" air just by walk into the room. The ceiling left traces of leakage. The attached bathroom wasn't equip with proper exhaust; and there's no ventilation. I guess the humidity from the bathroom come right into the room; that causing the bad air.

The bad air finally caught our daughter; she barely can breath that night; and finally able to fall a sleep at 2 AM; after throwing up and let all the mucus blocking her respiratory. The bad air just gave her a severe allergic reaction that causing her body to produce mucus that blocking her respiratory.

I come to the receptionist in morning; and explain the situation. They didn't offer me a room change; so I assume all rooms are as humid as the one we occupied. So I was cancelling my reservation for the other one night; that I had paid up in front (along with additional charges the made for my daughter; that they forget to tell). However; they say no refund can be made; as they are non refundable - no matter what the circumstance.

So we end up paying Sing $ 92 for un-used one night stay; I hope the hostel can make a good use of our money; and invest it into an exhaust fan! On for that amount of money; you can find a lot more better place in Singapore.

So we leave the hostel that morning; and stroll our bag for another place to stay; which is quite hard to find; as we came in Easter weekend to Singapore. But I'd rather strolling around Singapore finding another place to stay; rather than staying one more night in ABS Hostel.

Room Tip: Don't Stay Here!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sanur, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

The hostel is okay, I suppose. The plus would be its location,cause it's close to the Bugis MRT and near a bus stop so if you're tored of walking you can just hop on the bus for a short distance ( i got a singapore tourist pass so i just took the bus from thestation to here to avoid walking and using the pass as much as i could ). They provide complete facilities from hair dryer to iron ( so you can definitely handle that crumple on your dress like I did) which was great for me. The owner and the staff were really helpful. I tried to get the doubleroom but theyare all booked already soI stayed in the 6-bed dorm which was okay except for a caseof wet towel cause there was nowhere to hang it. Don't forget to bring your own lock so you can use the locker under the bed, or the bigger one outside to store your stuff and keep them safe. The breakfast is average just bread and toast with jam and butter plus coffee or tea, i mean with 20 bucks per night, i suppose they're acceptable. But there's a fridge that you can keep your stuff in as long as you put your lable on it. My advice is to just book it online first so you know your option

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to ABC Hostel? Share your experiences!