“Absinthe” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Absinthe

Absinthe
72 Boat Quay, Singapore 049860, Singapore (The Quays)
+65 6222 9068
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #72 of 7,262 Restaurants in Singapore
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French, Seafood, Wine Bar, Oyster Bar
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Quays
Description: Contemporary French Cuisine in a historical building with a view of Singapore River and landscape. Led by rising star Chef Nicolas Reynard and General Manager Vincent Jaureguiberry, Absinthe is best known for serving classic French cuisine complemented with signature Absinthe hospitality and extremely well- --priced wines in a convivial environment, right in the heart of Singapore's business district.
“Absinthe”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Unfortunately, Absinthe turned out to be as average as the 3 people I polled before going said it would be. Having read mixed reviews and noting that it was moving to a new venue I assumed that it must be OK. In short - it was a poor choice to go with friends who appreciate good food and was in the whole, a pretty unmemorable experience.

On arrival, it took 10 minutes to be asked if we wanted a drink. The vodka-martini was bland and had too much water in it. The rest of the group had champagne before we started on the wine list. I can't recall what I had as an entree - I think it was smoked eel... pretty bland. friends had soup and foie gras which was OK. My main was belly pork which was well cooked and full of flavour. The lamb was also pretty good.

We had two bottles of french wine with dinner - around about $160 a bottle. Like the food, it was OK but only memorable for the somewhat inept service - our conversation was repeatedly interrupted by the waiter.

Atmosphere/ambience was lacking - a comment made to me by others who have visited this restaurant.

Would I go back ? - probably not. Osso, Gunther's, Valentino's all offer a better experience for both food and atmosphere at a higher cost for the food but a similar mark up on the wine. Would I recommend it? - No, sorry

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Recommended. Should be better than ever in new location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Like many others, my wife and I had difficulty finding Absinthe because we did not realize that the Outram Park MRT station is a sprawling grotto with many exits, not a single point as shown on the map in the website. We are grateful that Absinthe will move to a new location at Boat Quay at the end of April because it should be quite easy to find. We were shown to a table for two near the back, next to the wine cellar and next to a large table for 10 people. Service was polite, helpful, and attentive. The candlelight atmosphere was pleasant and romantic until the table for 10 started filling up. We ordered cream of mushroom soup. When we asked why it was so delicious, I think the waiter said they put truffle oil in it. We shared an order of Kurobota pork belly with potatoes. It was also delicious and very well prepared, but we would have enjoyed it with more potatoes. We are partial to sweet wines, and they provided a Domaine de Souche Juracon sweet wine by the glass that had a very fruity taste without being too sweet. We would go back just for another glass of that delightful wine. The waiter explained that Domaine de Souche is in the southwestern part of France neat the Spanish border. We had lavender crème brulee with peach sorbet for dessert. It was good but we ate it hurriedly and paid the bill at the front as the birthday party heated up. We look forward to trying a more private couples table and the veal filet if it is on the menu at the new location.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012 via mobile

Lived here for a few years. Tried most good places. This is the best. The actual food was perfectly cooked and quality was the best.

Go there.

Singapore, Singapore
“Finest Parisian French Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

If you don't want to go to Paris for lunch, then you should go here.

Visited May 2011
Berlin
“yes we love it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

visited this great restaurant with friend mid of March I had to come back with my wife - and here we go - same great service, food, wine.
I am happy to give 5 points to a place which really is a high quality place - especially in all three points I mentioned - service (friendly and promt), food (fantastic) and wine (yes wine is expensive in Singapore - but here you get best value for your pocket).
Happy as soon as possible!

• Visited April 2012