“Decent hotel, good location and price” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel 81 - Heritage
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   71 Jalan Sultan, Singapore 198985 , Singapore   |
Ranked #147 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
London, United Kingdom
“Decent hotel, good location and price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I had a late flight to Singapore and was taking an early coach out the next morning, so I just spent a quick night at this hotel. The staff were very polite and friendly. The room is quite basic. The bathroom is a combination toilet/basin/shower room, but it is very small. I don't think I'd have been able to comfortably shower in there, and the toilet would have been soaked if I'd taken a shower. As mentioned by others, the bed has a vinyl cover on it, which is fine by me, though they've used a flat sheet rather than fitted, so it slides off during the night.

Those things were just sort of odd, but I don't want them to reflect negatively on the hotel. It suited my needs just fine and if you're looking for a no-frills, friendly, relatively inexpensive place to stay in Singapore, I think you'd be very happy with this hotel. It's also incredibly conveniently located if you have a coach departing from Keypoint, which is right across the street,

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Geel, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Had a booking for 2 days in this hotel. The rooms aren't that big en the shower and toilet are toghether. The rooms aren't really clean either. Location is good because there are a lot local restaurants around. Distance to the nearest subway is around 7 minutes.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Singapore isn't one of the cheapest cities to stay so when looking for accommodation for a family of five we found this hotel did the job just fine. We booked two rooms which were both clean, airconditioned and in a cute area of Singapore with interesting architecture. Close to some great restaurants and funky bars.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Staff here generally quite nice and friendly enough. They stay polite and non-smirky even when you ask for an 'ahem' transit room. They have an odd policy of not allowing you to check into a transit room on your own though - as in you have to wait for your friend to arrive. Which kinda defeats the real purpose of a transit room? Always wondered. But anyway.

Left behind some (non expensive) earrings once. Staff managed to and hold them for me even though I only discovered them missing after half a day.

Cons is that if you stay here overnight, the noise on the first floor is horrible. You can hear everything and like EVERYTHING - from phones ringing in other rooms, people walking around in corridor, traffic from outside, er.. conversation from room next door even. BUT, if you get a deluxe room on the higher floors, it magically becomes a decent enough, basic budget hotel that's quiet enough, spacious (ok maybe 'spacious' is a bit of a stretch..) enough.

Amenities are very basic. The cable channels have always seemed to work for me though.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with children or like your parents, get the rooms on the higher floors. Real...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

++ rooms are clean
++ receptionists don't meddle our business, even we got guests coming to our room..

-- room is SMALL, we had room w/ triple bed, we barely had space for our luggage...
-- bed sheets have some HOLES..
-- they only gave big towels, NO small towels ..
-- Inside bathroom there is NO mat, the floor is very slippery after bath without it..
-- we stayed for 2 nights, new toiletries are also NOT GIVEN on the 2nd day...
-- TV channels only singapore shows & almost all in chinese..
-- we were charged 10% more for service that we think we did not get!!

I was totally schocked, I did not suspect to find such hotel like this in Singapore, I think my expectation is a little bit too high for hotels in a city like Singapore...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

The place was very clean, and located in the Arab Street area (one of Singapore main attractions), in-between two subway stops. Close to restaurants and shops. Walk to subway is nice. Easy to get to and from airport.
Friendly efficient staff, big thanks for allowing to check in early and keeping our luggage beyond check-out up to our departure time.
Clean, modern, small but we don't spend time at a hotel, so we don't care about the room size. Bathroom size is decent. Fresh Towels. Queen bed, TV, desk, small closet (again, we don't care about the size). I am very picky about cleanliness, and this place was absolutely clean. They even have mattress covers to avoid bedbugs, for which I'm thankful as we had an experience with bedbugs at a different place before, and trust me, you do NOT want to deal with that, so I would most rather sleep on the covered mattress and know I'm safe.
From our stay at Singapore we noticed that generally Singapore people are not too friendly, you are not likely to hear any laughter on subway etc., generally quite reserved and quiet (note for female travellers - do not wear low cut tops, or even medium if you have full bust - you will be stared at, this is not the norm there).
This is why I'd like to address any prior feedback about any staff unfriendliness - they are quite fine, you have to understand this is a different culture all together. The staff is very helpful and treat visitors with outmost respect, in a courteous manner. That is all I think is necessary.
I would definitely recommend staying at Hotel 81- Heritage.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Traralgon, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Good value hotel in a good location.
The staff here are very friendly and helpful, and the hotel is clean and cosy.
My room was small but well appointed and all I needed for 2 nights.
The hotel is surrounded by convenience stores, cafes, restaurants and massage outlets... Sultan's Kitchen across the road offers good, cheap food and drinks, and during the day is very popular with locals.
And a few minutes walk away is Arab St and numerous more eating and drinking options.
Best of all, the wonderful MRT is a stroll away, with Lavender and Bugis on the East West line and a short, comfortable ride to Changi Airport when the time comes.
Thanks again to the staff for everything.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel 81 - Heritage? Share your experiences!