“cozy hostel but too many beds in dorm” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rucksack Inn @ Temple Street

You added Rucksack Inn @ Temple Street to your Saves list
Rucksack Inn @ Temple Street
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   52 Temple Street, Singapore 059672, Singapore (Chinatown)   |
Ranked #25 of 189 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“cozy hostel but too many beds in dorm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

Very clean hostel, lovely staff great you at the reception. You keep your shoes in a little box outside. The dorm rooms had 28 beds in them, it was hard to sleep when 4 people were snoring loudly! you get a locker in the room which is great for laptops etc. the free breakfast and internet was good too. Great location to get to places, I would recommend this hostel for budget travellers but remember to take earplugs.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Cebu Island, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

After reading several reviews and selecting from among dozens of hostels in Singapore, I found Rucksack Inn to be the most convenient and I was definitely right! My stay in the place was comfortable and very convenient. It's near the MRT plus the place is clean and cozy. It was my first time (and my friends, as well) to stay in a hostel, but we didn't have trouble adjusting to the arrangement. :) The staff was also friendly, especially the one who received us. They also host a free tour in Chinatown on Sundays which was a huge bonus! I'd stay there again when I visit the lovely Singapura!

Room Tip: Go for a private room if you can :)
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

I stayed at the Ruck Sack Inn 2 for one night. The staff are incredibly friendly - it's the really small things like being given a glass of cold water upon arrival made it ultra special.

The location was brilliant. A short walk to Clarke Quay and MRT station. The only downsides of the stay was the karaoke night in the bar right next door was very audible from my room. Also I would have preferred to have a duvet quilt to lie under rather than a very thin (but pretty) sheet. The Wi-fi was a little unstable during my stay which wasn't a major issue, only a minor inconvenience at times.

Otherwise good value for money and I would consider staying again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for 1 night as our previous hostel was booked up and we had to move next door to Ruck Sack Inn 2. The service was brilliant although a little confusion in the language barrier as the lady said our reservation we had made the previous day wasn't actually in the system but we eventually got in. Incredibly clean, infact that is all the staff did. Communal areas we great too with a nice lounge area and a good selection of Lonely Planet guides to take anyones fancy. Also a 5 minute walk to one of two MRT stations - Clarke Quay and ChinaTown. Overall we had a great experience and would recommend to anyone visiting Singapore.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

I stayed in both ruscksack inn 1 and 2 in private room. The space for both was really small, and i think a bit overpriced for the size of the room.. but again, it's singapore! don't expect anything cheap! Great ambiance in the living room, spotlessly clean bathrooms. They even provide shampoo and shower gel! I am not used to share bathrooms but this was not a problem at all at Rucksack! I looooooved the staff they were really helpful and nice and just looked happy to do their jobs :) The use for coffee/tea and toast through the day is really nice for those who return for a quick break to the hotel. I recommend Rucksack for those travelling with friends or alone as it is the best backpacker experience ever!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

This was our first stop on our 2 month travels away from New Zealand, mum travelling with 2 teenage girls. We found Rucksack Inn's website and book direct, 2 nights in triple room, which was a double bed & a set of bunk beds with air conditioning for sig$198, breakfast included, shared bathroom.

Check in was easy & quick, although I did take a copy of my booking email to present. Our room was of a decent size, enough to hold 3 large suitcases & 3 carryon backpacks. We found the airconditioning VERY good & free wifi kept the girls happy, there was also by memory 4 desktops also available in lobby area, free. Bathrooms were always clean, although a couple of times we did have to wait, but not more than 10mins.

Word of warning, hostel is up 2 massive steep flights of stairs, and travelling with 2 teenage daughters with all their luggage, this indeed was very difficult for us to manage, but if you are all good carring up your bags, then for the price, I think it serves the purpose well.

The MRT is very close, under 5 min walk, and we used that to travel everywhere that we needed to go to. Chinatown is about at 15mins walk which we found to be where we purchased our bits & pieces from, take a bottle of water with you, it's hot work walking around, but great to see the sights.

Breakfast was basic, mainly toast & spreads, but as it is available at anytime of the day, this also served us for a snack when we needed it, usual spreads available.

What I enjoyed mostly, was sitting around the breakfast table, and chatting to people from all over the world, during our trip away, we stayed at many many places, but I rank the Rucksack as one of the best friendliest place that I enjoyed chatting to people, the room is basic, not the Hilton (which we did stay at along the way), but as we were out & about, it did the job. We took a taxi to the airport when it was time to leave, sig$25, and we were able to store all our bags in the morning in a large luggage room, although the room is open, they always had someone on the front desk, until our late evening flight out of Singapore, this was very handy.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

Stayed at Rucksack Inn 2 recently. Great location as it's within walking distance to Clarke Quay (nightlife) and Chinatown (great food + souvenirs). However it's next to a pub, so expect some noise and karaoke during the night. I stayed on the 3rd floor so the impact is minimum.

Towels are provided for private room. The triple room offered is a little small, equipped with WiFi, air-condition and cable TV. The shared bathrooms are really clean, and there's a bathroom for each floor. There's a kitchen where you can make yourself some coffee or tea and bread with jams. I didn't try the bread though cause it's already way exceed expiry date (1 week+). 3 public PCs with internet connection can be found at the common area, with a large TV and mini library.

Overall, the staffs are friendly and helpful, the place is clean and it is one of the great place to stay for budget travelers.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Been to Rucksack Inn @ Temple Street? Share your experiences!