“Small, basic, but comfortable, and extremely friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Service World Backpackers Hostel
Block 5, #02-82 , Banda Street, Singapore 50005, Singapore (Chinatown)   |
Ranked #166 of 300 Hotels in Singapore
New Delhi, India
“Small, basic, but comfortable, and extremely friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Don't come in here expecting more than a place to sleep at night, take a shower in the morning and continue your tourist experience in the city, after a delicious, but definitely basic, breakfast. The beds are bunkbed style, and I was most impressed by the security setup, whereby there was a security code to enter, and spacious lockers to stash your stuff in. I only stayed over a weekend, so did not have too much trouble. i'm assuming the line for the bathroom would be the most frustrating part for people, but if you get up early enough you can avoid that hassle. Overall, the owner/staff are fantastic people, the location couldn't be easier to locate or more central to the city, and the rates are very affordable.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Sorry for the late review , but I stayed here back in April 2011. It was during the rainy season, and I stayed here only for one night . The owner of this place Mr. Andrew is a great guy. Even though I chatted with him for only a few minutes, i know that he's friendly. The bed and toilet are all clean and in the morning they even give us some bread to make toast . On the downside, the place is kinda hard to find. It is very hidden, and during my search of this place, i have to call Mr Andrew a few times for some directions. Oh and also, when i stayed here I slept in the top bunk, while the ceiling lights are really close to me. Hahaha .
But anyway, good price for a good place.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Taipei, Taiwan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Myself and 2 other backpackers passed through Singapore, with the intentions of staying only 1 day. After a long day of airports, traveling, and hauling heavy baggage, we finally arrived at Service World Backpacker Hostel. Because our flight left at 7am the following morning, we didn't need a place to sleep. We just needed a place to set our bags down for a few hours so we could explore the city. The staff at this hostel were extremely rude, unaccommodating, and quite frankly, we felt very disrespected that they rejected our service. We offered to pay for a room to just leave our luggage for a few hours. They wouldn't allow it and the worst part about it was, they didn't even supply a reason! All in all, I wouldn't recommend this hostel to anyone. They handled the situation with very little class and with complete disregard to accommodate backpackers.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Hove, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I believe the Service World Backpackers has two properties. We were sent to the smaller hostel. This place was not only smaller in the amount of guests they can accomodate, but small all around. It felt like it was once one unit in a retail & housing block in Chinatown, but has been modified to squeeze as many beds in as possible. We couldn't walk to our room (through the main dorm) with our rucksacks on our backs - it's that much of a squeeze.

The hostel is hidden in a random block so isn't too easy to find, especially as not all lifts go to the floor.... However Chinatown is a good place to be based for exploring Singapore, it's close to the MRT and some good eateries too.

The facilities in the hostel are also miniature. The bathroom are pods that have been squished into the kitchen, there are only two.

The member of staff was really friendly and tried to communicate with us the best he could. We were allowed to check in at 10am which was really helpful.

I would only stay here again if I couldn't find anywhere else, as it is too small when busy. However it is kept really clean.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Negril, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

I love this backpackers hostel. I have enjoyed my all days and nights. it is situated in such a place where you can easily connect to other happening places. staffs are very nice and helpful. Big thanks to Mr. Andrew, Arvel, Karen, Mitch and tressa. Miss you all.
Best Wishes
Pema from INDIA

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
monlucont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

Was supposed to stay at another hostel in the vicinity, but they were booked full so they made a few calls and gave me a map and sent me on my way. As soon as I got there, they showed me to my dorm and after paying, they pretty much left me alone for the rest of my stay. When I had questions and asked for directions, the staff were gracious and patently answered all my questions. The electronic lock made me feel like I was living in the future and the free coffee and toast in the morning was a nice touch. I would defiantly stay here again. The location is close to the Chinatown MRT and you can get to and from the airport that way.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

Very clean budget hostel. Close to MRT and Chinatown shopping area. Situated at level 2 of residence apartmet. Highly recommended despite only one sharing toilet between all dorm and single room. Food court downstairs, you may take your meal anytime. Karen the staff is very helpful. Andrew, the owner, very friendly too.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends