“Terrible customer service” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #163 of 293 Hotels in Singapore
Taipei, Taiwan
“Terrible customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Myself and 2 other backpackers passed through Singapore, with the intentions of staying only 1 day. After a long day of airports, traveling, and hauling heavy baggage, we finally arrived at Service World Backpacker Hostel. Because our flight left at 7am the following morning, we didn't need a place to sleep. We just needed a place to set our bags down for a few hours so we could explore the city. The staff at this hostel were extremely rude, unaccommodating, and quite frankly, we felt very disrespected that they rejected our service. We offered to pay for a room to just leave our luggage for a few hours. They wouldn't allow it and the worst part about it was, they didn't even supply a reason! All in all, I wouldn't recommend this hostel to anyone. They handled the situation with very little class and with complete disregard to accommodate backpackers.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Hove, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I believe the Service World Backpackers has two properties. We were sent to the smaller hostel. This place was not only smaller in the amount of guests they can accomodate, but small all around. It felt like it was once one unit in a retail & housing block in Chinatown, but has been modified to squeeze as many beds in as possible. We couldn't walk to our room (through the main dorm) with our rucksacks on our backs - it's that much of a squeeze.

The hostel is hidden in a random block so isn't too easy to find, especially as not all lifts go to the floor.... However Chinatown is a good place to be based for exploring Singapore, it's close to the MRT and some good eateries too.

The facilities in the hostel are also miniature. The bathroom are pods that have been squished into the kitchen, there are only two.

The member of staff was really friendly and tried to communicate with us the best he could. We were allowed to check in at 10am which was really helpful.

I would only stay here again if I couldn't find anywhere else, as it is too small when busy. However it is kept really clean.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Negril, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

I love this backpackers hostel. I have enjoyed my all days and nights. it is situated in such a place where you can easily connect to other happening places. staffs are very nice and helpful. Big thanks to Mr. Andrew, Arvel, Karen, Mitch and tressa. Miss you all.
Best Wishes
Pema from INDIA

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
monlucont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

Was supposed to stay at another hostel in the vicinity, but they were booked full so they made a few calls and gave me a map and sent me on my way. As soon as I got there, they showed me to my dorm and after paying, they pretty much left me alone for the rest of my stay. When I had questions and asked for directions, the staff were gracious and patently answered all my questions. The electronic lock made me feel like I was living in the future and the free coffee and toast in the morning was a nice touch. I would defiantly stay here again. The location is close to the Chinatown MRT and you can get to and from the airport that way.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

Very clean budget hostel. Close to MRT and Chinatown shopping area. Situated at level 2 of residence apartmet. Highly recommended despite only one sharing toilet between all dorm and single room. Food court downstairs, you may take your meal anytime. Karen the staff is very helpful. Andrew, the owner, very friendly too.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

It's a small hostel on the edge of chinatown. 2 subway and several bus stations close by. I stayed there 3 nights and had a great time! Very nice staff, they go out of their way to help you! The rooms are very clean and have air conditioning. The bath is quite small and a little cramped and the breakfast only consists of toast and a glas of marmalade. But there are lots of good and cheap places to eat in the area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Finn around the world
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

I stayed five nights and enjoyed it. Air-conditioning was great! Security was good; everyone had a small locker for valuables. The front door was always locked. The owner Andrew was very friendly and helpful and sat outside on the balcony (the only common area) with the guests, giving tips and telling and listening to anecdotes. The whole atmosphere was friendly and I made friends with the people in my room. The rooms (there were two 10-bed dorms at the time) may be small, but considering the price, I thought it was enough (it's Singapore after all, not Malaysia). The breakfast wasn't great, but at least I could get some instant tea in the mornings.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled solo

Been to Service World Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!