“Rooms the size of a matchbox” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel 81 Classic
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Joo Chiat Road, Singapore 427353, Singapore   |
Ranked #210 of 292 hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“Rooms the size of a matchbox”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I had to extend my Singapore stay for a few more days and the only place I could find close by to where I was staying earlier was this hotel. The rooms came at a premium cost ($130 a night) and at that cost, they were pretty ordinary.

When I walked into the room, I was surprised to see the size! It was about 8feet by 8 feet. There was nowhere I could place my luggage and this meant that movement was restricted in the already small room. The shower took almost 2 full minutes until it dispensed hot water and the AC fluctuated from really cold to really warm in 30 minutes. The staff itself was not very cooperative and were almost gruff when asked for any request. Suffice it to say that I was very happy to move out of the hotel after 2 days.

Room Tip: Don't commit the mistake I made. Ask to see the room before you book it. Only book if the room i...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Whatever you do - don't stay here. It is filthy, disgusting and tried to ruin our visit to Singapore. Even with a budget, we decided to leave after having paid for last night as we couldn't stand it any longer. We wondered about catching something and also wondered if we might be dirtier coming out of the bathroom than before going in to shower. Reception staff we very nice but it is disgusting. Extremely noisy, plastic covered mattresses made it hot, especialy when covered by sheets with holes in them. What more needs to be said - nothing - don't bother. Pay a little bit extra and enjoy your visit.

Room Tip: Look for somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

It is what it is. A budget hotel ideal for a short stay.

I only needed a place to sleep on a stopover in Singapore.

Yes it's small etc, but that's what I was expecting so it wasn't a concern. There is NEVER an excuse for dirty, filthy unkept rooms however.

The bathroom was covered in mould and the floors obviously had not been cleaned for a long time.

The rooms smell like cigarettes but that is to be expected I suppose.

It served it's purpose but for SG$80 a night, it should be clean at the very least.

Cheap cab ride to the airport (between SG$12-15) but I probably wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get one with a window. They are like prison cells!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Got a cheap hotel since I was in SIngapore only for the weekend. The desk staff was nice, but the room had no windows, smelled musty, the sheets were scratchy, no shower curtain, could not control the air (too cold), and it was very noisy at night (which I found out later it is in the prostitution district of Singapore... There is really not much in the area, the only saving grace was the Paya Lebar Metro stop is about 15 minutes away. Pay a iittle more money.

Room Tip: Book ahead, make sure to get the room details so you don't get put into another room.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

The hotel is based a short way out of the city centre but is only a 15 minute walk to the nearest sky train stop, then 20 minutes into the centre. Based in a predominantly Malay area it gave a real insight into the real Singapore rather then just the usual tourist trails. Worth knowing that the road is at the end of the red light district but this had no impact on our stay at all and felt safe at all times even late at night.

Very helpful staff, the room was just what you need in Singapore and it was great value for the city.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Leland, MS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

After a long bus trip to Singapore, my girlfriend and I settled on The Hotel 81 'Classic' on Joo Chiat Road. We originally planned for the Hotel 81 Sakura (and a higher rated hotel), but we noticed from the taxi that this one was an easier walk to the train station. However, we were "walk-ins" against our better judgement as we knew nothing about Singapore on our 'spur of the moment' trip down here. A VERY helpful person at the Harbor information desk helped us find the areas of hotels that interested us. We checked in for one night and noticed the price was higher than advertised on the web,, but still within the stated range. The guy at the desk wanted to check us in for one day at a time for some reason. OK then.
We told the manager the next morning that we wanted to stay another night and he simply indicated that he would take the key and check us 'back in." When we arrived again in late afternoon, the price shot up to $109.00 for the second night, and he claimed that he told me this in the morning. Au Contraire, my friend. Had we known the new price, he KNOWS that we would have left, as he and I had discussed my original plan the night before (to stay at the Hotel 81 Sakura). The manager's arrogance and his lies to us are why this place gets 2 stars. On top of that, he disrespected my girlfriend at counter. Maybe that is the culture here? I don't know.
The room was small but OK, wireless internet kept asking you to reset with the passowrd...so WiFi was LOUSY. But this is somewhat superfluous considering the devious price gouging that the manager bestowed upon us. He knew that we were 'stuck' much after the normal check out time on the second day. Oh and...I mentioned that the internet rate is always lower, and he did a song and dance around that. I confirmed this...$93.00, not $109.00. These type of guys have done it long enough to know who to gouge, who is at a disadvantage, and how to do it. STAY AWAY from this one and especially DO NOT walk in without a reservation and proof of the price.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

The room/hotel is clean.
The food / cafe is just around the corner.
The MRT station is walking distant.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel 81 Classic? Share your experiences!