“Useless hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 81 Selegie

Save Saved
You added Hotel 81 Selegie to your Saves list
Hotel 81 Selegie
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   161 Selegie Road, | Singapore, Singapore 188318, Singapore   |
Ranked #176 of 290 hotels in Singapore
Dallas, Texas
“Useless hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This week I arrived into Singapore in the middle of the night. I had a 9am meeting and was hanging out for a few hours' sleep, so checked into the Hotel 81. They wuoted me $87 for 6 hours, which I thought was extoertionate, but I was tired so I agreed. I asked for a room away from the stairs and lift so it would be quiet. I can honestly say I didn't sleep a wink - the walls were paper thin (I could even hear the cleaner in the room next door unwrapping the plastic from something) - so much so I got up after 3 hours and checked out. The one saving grace is that they charged me for 3 hours ($35 I think) instead of 6.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

110 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
doncaster
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed here in August 2012 for 3 nights as part of our mini tour of Asia, I was disappointed that we were staying in this 3 star hotel - but I really struggled to find a room that would sleep two adults and two children. The rooms that would accommodate all four of us in the same room was between £600-£800. I opted for this hotel as I though we would be out all day, and we would basically be sleeping in the room and that was that. I paid £290 in total, and would have felt robbed had I paid any more!
The room was clean and tidy, shower room was tiny - and was unable to use the toilet whilst someone was showering - it was more of a wet room! The location was quite good, just around the corner from little India.
Whilst in Singapore we went to the Zoo and had breakfast with the Orangutans - AMAZING!! I had originally planned that we were at the zoo for about 6 hours, but we were there for 9 - there was plenty for the children to do (aged 7 & 5) and there was a water park splash zone - excellent for cooling the kids down! Make sure you pack your swim suit!
Getting around Singapore on the MRT is very easy, and we went on the skytrain to Sentose. This is lovely - and the man made beach is perfect. Pretty unreal to be laying on the beach looking out to sea, and it being as busy as the M1 motorway!!
Singapore is very expensive, but we were aware of this before we travelled there. In one of the restaurants by the quayside it was £9 for 1/2 lager!! There was cheaper places to eat and drink - we ate one night in chinatown and they had bottles of lager on offer for 9 singapore dollars - approx £4.50 - and the food was good.
We stayed for 3 nights and had 3 1/2 days to explore the area - and I have to say, this was a perfect amount of time. We have seen everything that we wanted to - and at a relaxing pace.
We've been, but wouldn't rush back. Would I stay at this hotel again ? If travelling again as a family of 4 and all need to be in the same room (due to children ages) then possibly, but if travelling just with my husband, then no - I would go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bangkok
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

So I'll start by saying I've stayed in worse places in my life..... BUT, for the money Hotel 81 Selegie costs I am unsure I've ever had a more unpleasant experience. Was it the pay by the hour room rates, the hookers and their mildly guilty looking singaporean clientele, the short sheets and plastic mattresses (ew!), the mould on the ceiling, the windowless rooms, or the general penitentiary like atmosphere of the place.

If I had been here by myself things may have been OK, but when travelling with friends or family, do yourself a favour and stay somewhere nicer. This place is a dump, with absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
jakarta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Singapore is very expensive city. To find a reasonable rooms is very hard, not to mention the rooms expected to be very small. But after disappointing with other booking based on reviews, I move to this hotel at night.

Tired from searching a hotel late night, I found the hotel just not far from my previous booking mistakes and check in that minute. The receptionist is very kind girl, she gives me competitive rates for 2 night stay and she help me to check in right away.

This is budget hotel but very clean and update. No breakfast, No swimming pool and No concierge to assist you, but what I need is a comfortable room and clean bathroom.
I will going out all day to sightseeing and when I return to the hotel, I expect the clean bed and hot shower and then watching TV from my bed.

I will comeback again and again until I found more value rooms elsewhere, the location is a bang from Little India MRT exit A, and the bus stop and next door for seven eleven. Orchard road is another 30 minutes walk but with an amazing pedestrian street to walk, thanks to Hotel 81.

Room Tip: Pick room at high floor and ask with window, as you can expected windows can't be open but its m...
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Where do I start! This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. We stayed in the family room along with ants in the beds & flying insects in the shower/toilet. The bathroom ceiling was covered with mould! The bed mattresses were covered with vinyl & the sheets were too small so they didn't stay tucked into the mattress!
There were no windows in our room so we felt like we were in a basement even though we were on the 3rd floor.
Walls were paper thin, our neigbours woke us up when they chatted in the hallway at 6.30am, we heard every word as if they were in our room!
The hotel provides free WiFi access which would have been great if I had been able to get mobile service in my room!
Only good thing about this hotel is the location is good, otherwise look elsewhere!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Upon checkin everyone was nice... But when we got upto the room it was a shoe box. My cousin and I couldn't fit 2 suitcases in without it knocking between the front door and bathroom door. It was soooooo small. I wouldn't recommend it, spend the bit extra and stay somewhere better. Also it wasn't really as close to the shops as we thought, yes it's near orchid road but the shops are at the other end.

• Stayed June 2012
Huntsville, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is the smallest hotel ( I mean room ) I ever stayed in. you could almost stretch your arms out and touch the sides of the wall. Despite being soooo small They provide a coffee making system free coffee and tea. I paid $129 .00 Singapore dollars. My family hails from Singapore. Singapore used to be inexpensive, but not anymore. Singapore is a clean city, in fact the cleanest city in all my travels.The hotel staff was good, helpful. This hotel's location is great, walking distance to many places..

Room Tip: No swimming pool or restaurant. They are a lot of places to eat just around the hotel. Food from ju...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel 81 Selegie? Share your experiences!