“What is good food with bad service?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Izakaya Nijumaru (Cuppage Plaza) - CLOSED

Izakaya Nijumaru (Cuppage Plaza)
5 Koek Road, Singapore, Singapore (Orchard Road)
Improve this listing
Neighborhood: Orchard Road
Neighborhood: Orchard Road
Singapore
“What is good food with bad service?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

I was first introduced to Izakaya Nijumaru by my friend. Went there a few times and the food was really good. However, yesterday when I decided to introduce my other frens to the place, I had the worst experience ever in a restaurant.

I am ok with waiting for good food... There is a saying whereby "good food is always worth the wait". However, it took 45 mins for my food to be served- when it only took 15 mins for the other table, who ordered the same dish "Squid". So my 2 other frens have finished their food, and the other table who just came 15 mins also all got their food (4 people in total on the other table) before I got mine.

But the worst part is not that. When we asked the waitresses why my squid took so long, everyone just answered me that "This is friday and we're busy, so you have to wait a while, sorry". However, nobody bothered to go to the kitchen to check if they are cooking my order. Then after 4 or 5 waitresses, someone finally took the initiative to help us check with the kitchen. And then the food was served shortly after.

When the food came and we ask the waitress why does the food takes so long. She just explained that my "Buttered Sotong" was harder to cook. Then she walked away. Then i took a bit of sotong and rice and I alrdy cannot eat because it was 9pm by then. I was too hungry and at the same time I had totally lost my appetite as the waitresses just ignored my friend and me. So i asked for the bill. Immediately, the waitress came with the bill in 10 secs! I was shocked how fast the bill came. Then I asked to talk to the manager and I was told there was no manager and the boss is not in. In the end, I just foot the bill (including the food that I just ate 1 mouth)and left.

Then we felt really unjust and walked back again, this time to talk to the supervisor. The whole time she just kept sayin, its friday so you have to understand we are busy. When you come in the weekday there will be no problem. And she was aware that I haven't eaten and it was 9pm. In the end, we gave up as she insisted it is a friday, so they are busy and we as customers have to understand and just refused to listen to us. She said that she had offer her apologies and if we don't accept it, there is nothing she can do. She didn't even try to offer me something to eat. So i ended up having gastric as I didnt ate breakfast and only had 1 meal at lunch. Luckily my frens were there and I ate fish soup and "shui gao soup" at Cine Food Court.

I am never going to go back to Izakaya Nijumaru despite the good food. It really upsets me when there is such bad service there, especially when it is situated in Orchard Road and the shops has a lot of foreign and Japanese customers as well.

“Excellent service (feels...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

Excellent service (feels like back in Japan). Good authentic Japanese cooking as affirmed by my Japanese friend. Very casual atmosphere (hardly like a Izakaya); and seeing the same Japanese customers coming back week after week.

“Excellent Japanese fare...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2008

Excellent Japanese fare. Very 'local' Japanese feel. Not really a fancy diner - very functional seating...but the food is absolutely worth a visit, or ten. They also have a good collection of sake as I remember from a previous visit.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“not too bad, cosy ambience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2008

not too bad, cosy ambience