“Excellent....authentic and tasty” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Song Fa Bak Kut Teh

Song Fa Bak Kut Teh
11 New Bridge Road #01-01, Singapore 059383, Singapore (The Quays)
+65 6533 6128
Neighborhood: The Quays
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent....authentic and tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Sat down and was a little nervous as I eyes the menu and wasn't sure what to try (not the biggest fan of pork) but what arrived was delicious, comforting and more-ish. The chicken feet were actually really yummy and the pile of stewed bean curd skins and sauce it came with was complex and delicious. The bak kut teh was also delicious and the pork ribs soft and succulent. Definitely worth a stop...

• Visited May 2013

• Thai first
Jakarta
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Okay, I must admit this one's overcrowded with tourists and the staff barely speak english as their main language while serving foods to guests, but the foods are delicious and I don't know why I kept on repeating visit Song Fa everytime I come to Singapore.

Visited May 2013
Plano, Texas
“Best "Bak Kut Teh" in Singapore!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

"Bak Kut Teh" (Rib Soup) is an interesting dish originally from Fu-Jian area in China. It may looks simple, pork ribs cooked with tons of garlic and spices, the composition of the spices and the amount does make a difference. I have tried Bak Kut Teh in several places in China Town and in other places when I visited Singapore, I found the one offered by Song Fa near Clarke Quay is the best. There are two Song Fa restaurants within the same block. One is located at the street corner and one is a few meters away with "better seating". I had my BKT at the street corner (I felt it more "authentic" eating that way) and I don't know the difference between these two restaurants. Typical BKT dinner include a bow of BKT soup with either steam rice or thin noddles. I added a plate of boiled vegetable and that's more than enough for me. They offer two kinds of BKT soups with different kind of ribs. I had tried both and found not much difference since the soup base was the same, so go for the cheap one. I also added a plate of the pork leg as another side dish when I had dinner with my German friend one night. He loved both the soup and the food.

If you need more broth/soup, you can ask the waiter/waitress to refill the soup without extra charge. Notice that the restaurant may close on Mondays.

If you like BKT, you can get a box of 10 (or 12) packs of the soup-base (secret formula) with you. I have tried to make it at home and the kids love it. The instruction is clear and simple. Just get some nice ribs, boil 2 litters of water and add garlic (2 or three cloves not a problem), the soup-base (both two pouches in the single package), some soy source and cook it for a couple hours. You can then have the same BKT as you have in Singapore.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jakarta
“Less peppery”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I tried Ng Ah Sio and Founder before, Song Fa soup definitely less peppery than the other two. But I noticed they choose to put more garlic in the soup for aroma. Still among the one you should try if you visit Singapore, but for me, next time I will have my bak kut teh elsewhere.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bangkok, Thailand
“must try”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Good taste!!!
Budget: less than S$10 for one person.
S$6 for bak kut teh, $0.4 for rice, $3 for vegetable