“An exotic venue for a sales meeting” 4 of 5 stars

Amara Sanctuary Resort Sentosa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   1 Larkhill Road, Sentosa Island 099394, Singapore   |
Ranked #12 of 13 hotels in Sentosa Island
Frederick, Maryland
“An exotic venue for a sales meeting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

The main reason for my stay at the Amara Sanctuary was for a 3-day Sales Meeting that was to start on a Tuesday. But I had arrived in Singapore on the previous Wednesday for work in Malaysia on Thursday and Friday. I decided to weekend over at the Amara so that I would not have to change hotels on Monday. I did this with some reservations because I was not sure I would like the idea of being secluded on Sentosa Island away from the action found in other areas of Singapore. I arrived at the resort late on a Friday evening. My company had booked us Premier King rooms, but there were no Premier Kings available. I was originally given a lessor grade king, but it was not at all to my liking, and there were very large frogs (or so it sounded from their croaking) right outside my window and it was extremely loud. I left my luggage and went back down to the lobby where I explained that the room I was given was not suitable for me. After some discussion with the manager, I was offered an upgrade to a Courtyard Suite room. The manager was very considerate about it all and even drove me what was only a 3-minute walk to the room, in a golf cart to see the room. It was elegant with a four poster king-sized canopy bed, a Nespresso coffee machine upscale bathroom with amenities. It was a huge improvement over the original room I was assigned. The coup d' grace was it had a backyard private patio with a sunken jacuzzi plunge pool! Yes, this was perfect for my weekend decompression from the long trip to Singapore and to get me ready for the Sales Meeting where I was a presenter. I used the jacuzzi all week, it was great. The resort's two pools were both very nice. One pool is called the sky pool and is an infinity pool on the fourth floor roof of the main hotel building. It is adults only, but that did not seem strongly enforced for the well behaved parent-accompanied children who did use it while I was there, and I sure did not mind at all. The other pool was tucked away in a wooded garden and was more quiet, except for the distant screams from the roller coaster riders at Universal Studios not far from the property.
Breakfasts were the typical buffet spread which was good, but after 6 days got a bit old. I had dinner at the Thai restaurant on the property with a colleague. the food was marginal, the service confused and the prices way too high for what we received. I found out that it is actually very easy to get to Vivo City and the Metro using the free hotel shuttle and dinners were then taken off the Island whenever there was not a company obligated group dinner held.
The Meeting rooms at the hotel are in their own building and are excellent for any type meeting you might want to have. The service was good and the facilities were excellent. Service was very good all over the resort. I had a very enjoyable stay and I would definitely return for a real vacation stay at some point. This resort has a romantic flair to it which should be shared with another person, I missed not having my wife with me on this stay.

Room Tip: The difference of the courtyard suites over the premium rooms is significant. I'd suggest seein...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

582 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011 via mobile

This hotel provide a very convinient access to and from Universal Studio. You can either walk to the train station for 5 min walk or wait at the nearby bus stop (2mins walk). I'm family with 2 kids feel good with this hotel and also good view. This is a very good hotel but not excellent yet. If wi-fi can be complimentary at room it will be perfect. Sentosa's hotels have slightly higher rate, but it frees the visitors from Sentosa admission fees (S$7/person), so that compromise.Cost $20 with taxi from Changi. Great art structure. Offer free shuttle to vivo city (shopping center) which is very good. Have water dispenser at swimming pool area where we can fill our bottle freely. Surely will come back here if we visit sentosa in future.

• Stayed July 2011
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

I was disappointed with this hotel. The check-in was slow, 3 staff were there but only 2 staff were working, the other person was just standing round. The first room I had had a blocked toilet and urine smell in the bathroom. The front desk quickly changed my room, to their credit. My second room was clean and comfortable, but the towels had holes in them. What really un-impressed me was the service in their restaurants. When we went to the Thai restaurant and asked if we could have a quick meal, the answer was that we could have white rice if we wanted a quick meal. After further talking, we were almost scolded for not making a reservation and expecting speedy food. When the food finally came 40 minutes later, they delivered the first lot to us, and then delivered the second part of our order to the other table. We had to ask them to check if they had delivered the food to the correct table - they had not and the food was brought back to our table. That night, we had dinner at their Chinese restaurant. We had to order in Mandarin, the waitress that took our order did not seem to understand English. For an international hotel/resort, this was not really acceptable. The waiters also did not understand English and despite the restaurant being almost empty was not attentive. After all that, the food was very, very ordinary.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

its our second stay in amara sanctuary resort sentosa.my family came back because we really enjoyed the stay last year.The reception's service was good.We also requested for a room with a sea view and the staff told us that it was subject to availblilty .During the last stay ,we booked a deluxe room and we were given a room on the fouth level.It was very clean and there was a nice view as well.However this year ,when we checked in we were given a room at the second floor with no view and construction sounds were rather loud.my family was extremely happy about it and we called the reception to ask if we could have a room at the fourth level.However they told us that the level 3 and 4 was for the premier room and that the staff had upgradded us the other time.Thus we had no choice but to make-do with it.The toilet showers were leaking and the floors in the stand up shower floor and the bath tub had dark stains on it.Although there was a glass door seperating the stand up shower and the rest of the toilet,the water pass through the door and leaked out of the glass door which almost made me slipped.I think that the hotel should also provide more towels (they only provided 2).overall was a little disappointed this time round.still considering if my family should stay at amara the next time round.

Room Tip: Request for sea view room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

It is a fantastic hotel, very calm and peaceful . It is one with nature, we even saw a pet peacock on the premises. Their service was really good inspite of the fact that our agent had messed up. We had asked for a Premier Room but he had booked us a Standard one & obviously pocketed the difference.
Amara staff understood when I showed them my E-mail to my agent asking specifically for a Premier Room. They gave us a Premier room at no extra cost.
They have a lovely Skypool facing the sea . The food is good, even for vegetarians. They even serve Parathas for breakfast with a curry similat to our sambhar.
Lovely location, best way to explore Sentosa. Indian restaurant 'Samandar' is walking distance and serves a lovely dinner by the sea

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

My husband and I went there for my birthday celebration. The room standard was not as good as we expected for the price of SGD330 per night. Nothing fantastic upon check-in. We had to walk quite a fair bit from the hotel car park and the staffs ignored us till we approached them. I woke up early on the following day and found a big cockroach in the toilet. I immediately called the operator but nobody cared. I rang them a few times and it took almost 30 minutes for the lady to come up with her Baygon. She sprayed at the roach and offered us if we wanted to keep the pesticide spray in the room! Unbelievable.

We went up to the sky pool afterwards. Not a single soul of the staff was there. We had to make the jacuzzi operate ourselves. You are on your own in this hotel. This is the service you paid for 300+ bucks. Fabulous..

I decided to drop a complaint e-mail to the hotel once I reached home, and believe it or not, they have never responded me till now (sent on 28 May and today is 4 June).

In short, never stay in this lousy place. You pay to serve yourself. Not worth you a cent.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

I booked a 1-Bedroom Villa at the resort last Sunday. It comes with a living room and a bedroom. The two rooms are separated by a little private pool in the middle. Overall, the villa is beautiful. But I would have preferred the living room and bedroom to merge as one unit because separately, they are just too small and cramped.

The staff are friendly and responsive to my enquiries and requests. So I would rate the customer service at 8 out of 10.

Now the things that really irritated me during my 1-night stay there:

1. Toilet chokes. The living room and bedroom has a toilet each. The 2 toilet bowls choked one after another. I suspect that the flushing system is not strong enough. I ended up calling for the plumber twice to clear the chokes. Water was also leaking from the bottom of the bedroom's toilet bowl. It was such a mess. The toilet being so small, it was really a challenge trying to avoid stepping on the water.

2. The villa has an open-concept shower area. Open-concept is nice for a change, if not for a major problem. There was a gap at the corner of the walls which was wide enough for curious passer-by to peep (effortlessly) at eye-level at the person taking a shower. How could I allow anyone to peep at my wife or myself showering?! The best part was that the staff told me it is part of the open-concept. But hey, we are talking about personal privacy, don't they understand the difference? Eventually, they used two potted plants to cover the gap.

3. The restaurant located above the resort's lobby was closed for a private function that evening. Since we didn't want to eat Thai nor Japanese food, we took a 5-minute buggy ride to the hotel's Chinese restaurant for our dinner at 7pm. Guess what, the waitress told me there was no more seafood left. Fine, we decided to try the French restaurant upstairs. What do you know, the same waitress told me it was closed! Huh??? It's Sunday night, my goodness! No more seafood at 7pm? French restaurant closed on a Sunday evening??? By the way, the Chinese restaurant looked so untidy. The chairs were spread out in the manner the diners left them rather than neatly arranged around the round table. One of the waitresses was seen seated with one of her legs resting on her chair. How's that for hotel standard?

4. The wear and tear in the villa was obvious. I think it's time for them to renovate the place.

At S$765 a night (excl. tax and service charges), it was really not worth the money. The only thing I recall of my stay there are the numerous calls for the plumber to clear the toilet chokes and the housekeeper to plug the gap in the walls!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Amara Sanctuary Resort Sentosa? Share your experiences!