“Room for improvement” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Butterfly Park & Insect Kingdom

Butterfly Park & Insect Kingdom
Imbiah Lookout 51 Cable Car Road Sentosa Island, Sentosa Island 099702, Singapore
65/6275-0013
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: This outdoor conservatory boasts more than 50 different species of butterflies, from the rare and endangered to the more common varieties.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator
Singapore, Singapore
20 attraction reviews
“Room for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2015 NEW

I went first in 2007 which was a memorable experience. This time round I found the number of butterflies much lesser and so was the variety. Maintenance has not been top notch. The staff is pleasant and friendly. But nevertheless it is still an interesting place to visit. I would not be so harsh as some of the other reviews posted.

Visited May 2015

• Finnish first
Pleasanton
37 attraction reviews
“Hardly any butterlies, run-down and we spent more time watching the rats”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2015

We visited the "park" (a loose term for the very small area it occupies) a year earlier and there were quite a lot of butterflies and my daughter could try to get them to land on her. This time there were almost no butterflies at all. The whole place is run-down including some small bridges that have broken slats in them and other slats which are ready to break. While our daughter looked for butterflies we watched rats steal the bird food that the keeper had laid on a tray on the steps.

The only fun part about this place is feeding the birds but you have to be the first in line or they fill up quickly then you pay your money for food and none of the birds are interested any more.

Really they have a cheek charging what they do for this run-down mess and the Sentosa council should be embarrassed allowing them to continue to rake in money from tourists and use exactly $0 of it to improve the condition of the park. Shame on you Sentosa.

Visited January 2015
Perth, Australia
10 attraction reviews
“Really peaceful place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2015

We visited the butterfly park today, just after opening. It was a really lovely time to visit as no crowds around and much cooler. The butterfly exhibit was well layed out, and did have two butterfly's land on my hand which was pretty amazing, I remember coming to this attraction when I Was a kid in the late 80's and it was one of the original attractions. My only surprise was I thought there would be a swarm of butterflies in the attraction as well as larger sizes, most I did see were fairly small and limited numbers and ft like you really had to hunt them down. I went in on the park pass which gives you a choice of entry to this attraction. I really did enjoy walking around in there and taking time out listening to the birds. I would not necessarily pay the single price entry as don't feel it's worth the entry price, but if you are buying the park pass I would recommend this one as one of the attractions that you choose to visit.

6 attraction reviews
“Not up to the same standard as the rest of Sentosa”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2015

Ok, so the main feature of this enclosure is the butterflies which are attractive, but no better than what I've seen for free in the Changi Airport butterfly garden. The enclosure is surprisingly small, the garden is (by necessity, I accept) very humid and the attached insect museum is dirty and dull. Parts of the exhibit were closed for repair and the rest looked like it would need renovation soon.

All in all we didn't even need an hour to finish it, and we have a slow moving two year old.

Wellington, New Zealand
116 attraction reviews
“THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE ONE THING THIS PLACE HAD OVER SINGAPORE ZOO!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2015

I could easily have given this place a 1 or 2 out of 5. The whole place is looking very tired and some of the exhibits absolutely disgusted me!

I'm a huge animal lover, though I'm not a hater of animals in captivity if done right. There are tonnes of examples of animals that are better off in a zoo, otherwise they would be or would soon be extinct. And the research/work that places like Australia Zoo & Singapore Zoo do for animals is amazing, as well as building natural habitats with lots of room for the animals to keep them stimulated. Eg the huge walking track the Singapore Zoo elephants have to walk on and relax after doing the public shows.

Look at the photo I took of the Tarantula enclosure at the Insect & Butterfly Kingdom. The enclosure is already very small, but the LIVE Tarantula is living inside a JAR inside the small enclosure. What the??

It's very hard as I don't actually know what to say. On one hand I want to warn others, but on the other hand I don't want the animals/creatures to miss out on the money from visitors that pays for their food etc.

There were some positives, so maybe I would say to make sure you visit as part of a multi attraction pass, so the cost isn't high. One pass lets you do as many Sentosa Island attractions as you want in one day.

One of the positives was the staff. They were friendly, helpful & positive. I enjoyed watching the man inside the butterfly enclosure, who was very carefully checking all the hanging lava pods that were to eventually hatch.

Another positive was the butterfly enclosure itself. It was beautiful and unlike my last visit to Singapore Zoo, this time around there were way more butterflies here than in the aviary at Singapore Zoo. This alone made me glad we visited the Butterfly Kingdom.

The whole thing takes just an hour to get around, if not less.

Visited February 2015