“Fantastic steak!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Vibrant. Chic. Authentic. Fashionable. SKIRT. A bold and sexy grill, framed by wood panels and leather trimmings, SKIRT turns the heat up on an array of delectable meats, seafood and amazing side dishes, making for a remarkable experience of dining in Sentosa. Enjoy a world class selection and some rare and distinguished vintages from our wine cellars in a sophisticated setting. Child Policy: Please note that only children above 8 years of age accompanied by an adult will be welcome to dine at SKIRT.
“Fantastic steak!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Read the reviews about the service being lacklustre, but we were staying at the hotel so decided to pop down for a lazy dinner.

Firstly, the food was fantastic! Sure there are good steak restaurants but the little touches like homemade BBQ sauce, and a selection of salts really brings out the flavour.

At the start of the evening, the service was impeccable. However, towards dessert, two big groups came to dine and after that, were were left by the wayside. Which was such a shame as I really wanted to have dessert!

Would I go back again? Yeah, as the food was really great and I want to have the bannofie pie!

Visited February 2014
WSingaporeDining, Manager at SKIRT, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Hi Jaimecml,

Thank you for your positive comment. However we do apologise for the lack of service at the end during your dessert a well. Rest asured that your valuable comment has been shared with the team.

Once again thank you for your continue support and we are looking forward to serve you in the near future.

Regards

Subaramaniam S/O M. Kuppusamy

London, United Kingdom
“Food is so-so, service is bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We were disappointed with the food and service. We waited for an hour for our main course. Lamb dish is small, well cooked but not very tasty. Starters are so so. All in all the food is overpriced. What a disappointment!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
WSingaporeDining, Chef de Cuisine at SKIRT, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Hi celineBrussels
Thank you for your review, I am very sorry and disappointed to hear that you didn’t enjoy your dining experience in skirt.
please accept my apologies for the usual long wait time,
I have shared your feedback with the team and also reminded them of proper procedures
Hope we can show you a true skirt experience on your next visit

Singapore, Singapore
“A Mediocre Dining Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Quality of the dining experience in Skirt Restaurant for dinner was poor - mediocre. Starter was inedible - very sweet pate. Steaks were so so for the price relative to elsewhere in SG. Most wines under $200/bottle were sold out. It took me to suggest getting one from the bar. I doubt we'll eat here again.

Visited January 2014
Hi angliska
I am very disappointed to hear that you didn’t enjoy your dining experience in skirt.
I will personally look into the pate recipe.
As for the wines we are working on a new list with a better range and price for the guest to enjoy.
I apologise for your experience and hope that next time we can deliver a true dining experience

Singapore, Singapore
“Very good steak/grilled food, average service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Booked a table for 6 on a weekday and I was told on the phone that my orders would be slow due to another large group of diners going. Glad they gave me a heads up beforehand.

When I arrived, I was disappointed that they directed me to a table/booth obviously for 4. I asked for a change of table, which they eventually did, albeit with quite a delay and with great reluctance by the service staff. What struck me was how smoky the air was in the restaurant, and that pungent smell never went away throughout my entire time there. Be prepared to go back home smelling of BBQ if you dine here. Alternatively, you can choose to dine outside, which may have been a much better idea for me.

For starters, I ordered grilled king prawns and grilled squid. The prawns were delicious, although rather pricey at around $35+/- for 3 whole prawns (or 6 half prawns, perfect for the 6 of us dining there). The squid, at $15+/-, was a letdown however, as it was drenched in a sour-tasting sauce that overpowered the tender and juicy grilled squid.

As for mains, I ordered two USA angus ribeye steaks (350g) at $65, an 8 piece lamb rack at $117+/- for sharing, 2 skirt steak sandwiches, some truffle rice with egg and some sides such as saffron mashed potatoes and caesar salad.

The ribeye, although very pricey by my standards, was cooked to perfection, with almost melt-in-your mouth fat and very tender meat. However, the red wine and bone marrow sauce they provided me was unexceptional, and did little to improve the flavour of the meat except to bring out its smokiness, which in my opinion is counter-productive.

The lamb rack was very tender as well, although personally I found that "mutton" taste to be a tad too strong. The skirt steak sandwich however, was probably the best dish of the night, as the meat was very very tender and worth its value at the more affordable $45+/-. Don't let the name fool you though, as it is actually not the traditional steak stuffed into bread sandwich but a modern take on it (a la breadless and without fries/chips/sides). The saffron mashed potatoes, at $10, was quite pricey, but enough to share between 6 people (albeit at a dollop each).

However, the caesar salad was very disappointing. The dressing had a fishy aftertaste that refused to leave my tongue despite downing mouthfuls of water. In fact, the aftertaste reminded me of oysters, which is not how I want my salads to taste like, no matter how much I love oysters. When pointed out to the waiter, he came back saying that it's all part of their new take on the salad, where the chef uses white anchovies instead in the dressing etc yada yada. It sounded like pretentious fluff to me to be honest, having tried many caesar salads before in my life. Thankfully, the waiter had the sense to change the salad to a more agreeable herb salad. Sadly, the dressing for the herb salad was overdone and hence too sour, but at this point I could not be bothered to change it anymore. I'm just glad it didn't taste like oysters anymore.

Overall, steaks and grilled items are the forte of the Skirt restaurant (except the grilled squid), and it is where the food ultimately shines. The service was average to say the most, probably on par with your neighborhood chain eateries like Swensens. One would have expected better service at an expensive restaurant like this, not to say that their service was NOT good, just that it could've been much much better.

As for value-for-money, the skirt steak sandwich may be the most "worth it", as I've tasted similar angus ribeye steaks for more affordable prices. I personally would not recommend this place for a romantic dinner, as the smokey air spoils everything, although that is just my opinion. I really hope that they can better ventilate the place, as the entire area was just too smokey. Smokey is fine for an outdoor grill, but not for indoors.

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hi framboise_blues
Thank you for taking the time to write your review I am very disappointed that you didn’t have a true SKIRT experience,
myself and the restaurant manager will investigate the issues of ventilation and changing tables,
normally a request like this is not a problem for our staff. I have never received a complaint about this in the past, our talents (staffs)
are well trained and it is unacceptable if this was a problem for them.
I’m glad you enjoy the prawns, rib eye and steak sandwich
as for the squid ,lamb and Caesar salad I will go through with my team,
to insure our usual high standards are met.
Once again I am truly sorry for your experience.
Singapore
“Great quality food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Finally made it to this place near our home and have been very impressed. The quality of meat is very hard to beat and of course you can take time to understand different cuts and aging. Service is nice and professional - no complaints. Great to have Skirt on the map of Singapore and a real alternate to Morton's which offers sound quality as well, but feels a bit more commercial than Skirt.

Visited January 2014
WSingaporeDining, Chef de Cuisine at SKIRT, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Hi Steinersing
Thank you for your kind words, I’m so glad you enjoyed our restaurant and it is our pleasure to take the time to explain the meat and the aging process.
We look forward to welcoming you back.