“Unexpected Holidays in New Grand Opening.........” 3 of 5 stars

A NIGHT ON THE HOUSE
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Macau, China
“Unexpected Holidays in New Grand Opening.........”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

W Sentosa Cove, it's a Wonderful Hotel, but is far from Sentosa Resort World. You need to take a taxi go in and come out on your own timing. There isn't a lot of entertainment around, but you can find a 7-eleven shop, a Guardian shop, a small super-market, a bar café just inside the W Residences Area, while you can take a walk around the lake by sunset. Very few choices of dishes in the buffet diner in W Hotel. The hotel shuttle only allow guest with small bags on board. Staffs need more professional improvement.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Amazing pool, beautiful large rooms. The service was very good, they let us check in early and check out late when requested. Was kind of concerned after reading the reviews about service but didn't have any issues. They went out there way to make us feel special, it was my bf's birthday and they even surprised us with a cake and card!

The breakfast has a good spread of Chinese and western cuisine, plus amazing cured meats!

The pool is great ... Missed out on using the bikes which you can go around the cove in..but will def use them next time!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed 2 nights from 2012 Oct 26-28

First off, I didn't know I would be staying at the W sentosa until the day we checked it as it was a birthday surprise from my partner,

This is important, because this means that I didn't read these tripadvisor reviews and thus went with no pre-conceived expectations.

I am not a SPG member, I'm with PCR and typically stay at IHG hotels. 1st experience with a W, so again - no pre-conceived notions there.

First off, I felt it was a stunning new-build hotel. Being a W, it's design-heavy with paintings and sculptures and lighting, so u either hate it or love it. I personally thought it was very trendy and chic. Lots of amateur pics with this review so see below.

Location is at the far end of sentosa cove, it's secluded and far enough from all the hustle and bustle, which was good for a short getaway. Some people have gripped about the distance and shuttle bus and difficulty in getting a cab and not enough entertainment options and etc. It's simple - If you want action? there are 1,800 rooms at Resorts World Sentosa (and a casino, and Universal Studios), plus another 190 keys at movenpick and 112 keys at capella - Stay there.
If you want a lil more tranquility but yet only a 10min drive from RWS, stay at the W.

Parked at the basement and was informed i would only get 1 complimentary parking ticket per day (no multiple entries), which was rather strange as I thought guests should be able to go in-and-out of the hotel to other locations in sentosa given the far-flung location of the hotel (described above). Management should seriously consider giving guests a multiple-use pass for the whole duration of their stay.

At the basement carpark lift lobby leading to the reception - the manual glass door (not the automatic sliding one) had no stopper on the outside and it constantly gets smashed against the false ceiling (see picture). Took the lift to the 2nd floor (the 1st floor is the car drop-off and restaurant) Check in (at ~ 3:30pm) took about 15 minutes and was relatively fuss-free. Front desk person knew, and told us enough, to get us thru the process.

Went to the room on the 7th floor and 1st impression was that the room was big. everything seems to be working alright. took me 10min to figure out i needed to point the remote at the cabinet BELOW the TV (and not at the tv itself) if i wanted to turn on the audio. wardrobe door took a little getting used to (you have to pull and THEN slide. nice view of the marina from my room. bed was big and comfortable but pillow was way too soft like what the other reviews said. there was a slightly-firmer pillow in the wardrobe so i used that one (but still too soft if you ask me).
Of course, being new, there were a few teething problems, the chain lock didn't work (See pic), messy tangle of wires under the work table (see pic), but nothing so major that would make me want to change rooms.

Left the room to check out the hotel. took the lift to the 2nd floor. The tall glass door from the reception leading out to the outdoor terrace (pool) was faulty and could not be opened (observed on oct-26 at around ~6pm and remained so till oct-28 when i checked out). While I was struggling with the door, a male staff (security?) saw me struggle and pointed to the adjacent set of doors and said gruffly (quote) "spoil, spoil, use that one, use that one" (unquote). WOW. really?!?

Take the main lifts (not the glass ones) to the 1st floor and there's a separate entrance to get to the gym and spa and pool. great idea for privacy. didn't use the spa nor the gym but checked it out and both looked and smelled nice.

Wanted to book dinner on Oct-27 but the restaurant was full, so my business went to Il Lido (5min drive) instead. The dinner at Il Lido in itself was great, and perhaps now even more so given the reviews i now read here on the restaurant.

Pool - the pool itself was beautiful. 2 good days of sun and i got a lil burnt. Pretty crowded from after breakfast till noon, but it gets better after that.
Now the Bad parts - ordered 2 mojitos and i waited 45 minutes for the drinks. That is unacceptable. I could have mixed 20 drinks for myself in that time. This was despite me walking to the bar twice to ask for my order. There was 1 bartender, 1 guy taking-orders/billing and a 3rd guy delivering the drinks. Severely understaffed. Everyone who ordered was waiting around impatiently.
Also - there were no towels, the pool attendant was apologetic and said a driver was driving out to get new ones (which eventually came after 15min).
These are operational issues, if you are going to be running 85%/90% occupancies? you would roster more staff at the pool bar and have extra stock of towels to be ready. It's not rocket science.

Lounge/Bar - Friends came over for drinks (another surprise) at the bar on friday night oct-26. You are not allowed to make reservations (yes, even for guests). Decor was trendy and there was a DJ spinning pretty good music. Menu was unique (bah kwa whiskey) but pricey. tab was almost S$400 for a bottle of champagne and 6 drinks + 2 chocolate-like deserts which served as my birthday cake.

Breakfast - (this part is long, so please bear with me)
Had breakfast both days at the restaurant, and it was an ABSOLUTE and total disaster.
The restaurant was clearly understaffed and there was a perpetual queue at the front counter. Some guests had to overflow and sit in the other restaurant.
Most of the staff who were there are either clueless about what they were supposed to do, or knew what they were supposed to do but was just too swarmed to do their jobs right. Examples below;
Show Kitchen - see pics. there was a nice unenclosed show kitchen in the middle of the restaurant, which looked great, but was clearly not fit for purpose, there were cooks/staff shoving around in there all the time with everyone trying to cook/wash/serve something/someone all at the same time. Guests were squeezing on the left and right of the island show kitchen. Total Chaos. I get it. It's a W - design and hip and all, but REMEMBER - it's a KITCHEN first before a SHOW.
Coffee - a girl wait staff came over and asked if i wanted coffee, i said sure! except there weren't cups on the table. She brought cups. poured the coffee. but there was no sugar. I asked for sugar and she said oh, and promptly took the sugar and milk from the next table!! to the bewilderment of the nice couple sitting there whom i smiled at and said thanks for borrowing their sugar. Added sugar, there wasn't a stirring spoon. You get the picture.
Eggs - asked for 2 scrambled egg whites at the egg-station on day 1, they took more than 30 minutes to arrive. by which time we had finished everything else. Asked for egg benedict on day 2, and it didn't come at all by which time after an hour we were done with breakfast and had left.
Dim Sum - went to the dim sum corner and asked for a char siew bao. was told it was not ready and to come back. went back after 10 min and was told they had run out.
The whole breakfast experience was just plain ridiculous, and absolutely unacceptable for a hotel of this standard to have such a terrible breakfast.
The Breakfast is one of the most important factor in the whole guest satisfaction experience!!
I would have expected the hotel manager to know that.

Check out was crowded, each counter had about 3-4 people in line. Front desk staff though friendly, were not able to produce the bills for the bar when we wanted to check if the total bill was accurate (after waiting 10min, we decided not to pursue the matter and assume the bill was correct so as not to hold back the queue behind us even further).

I left the hotel with mixed feelings. The hotel was really pretty, but the experience was marred by so many incidents i thought i should share them (this is by far the longest tripadvisor review i have EVER written).

Reading through the 40+ comments thus far before this one, I really think the Hotel could be much, much better than the ratings and reviews it currently has. I am not sure of starwood's KPIs but i can guess that Tripadvisor reviews would probably be a good source or measure of customer satisfaction.

To the General Manager - you Sir, have a Beautiful new-build Hotel.

You have enough feedback here from all these reviews to tell you what's lacking, and how you can do better.

Now go make it Great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We were lucky to grab an opening special price of 365aud a nite for a wonderful room (base room) including breakfast and 2 cocktails.as you would be aware the hotel is new and there has been a lot of negative reviews but I've never stayed at a w and with the opening special thought it was a great opportunity to experience this brand hotel
Taxi as mentioned don't know where hotel is located but all you need to say is sentosa and head left following signs you will not be charged the 5$ entrance fee anymore as a reviewer mentioned
Location is secluded fantastic for us 8$ cab to vivacity shopping centre. Hotel provides one way shuttle regularly cabs are cheap and easily accessible to get back
Upgrades we got one easily to 2 levels above our booked room and we were not Starwood
members but joined on the spot. This room is 750$ a night.my advice smile and be friendly staff are really trying,,,,,,
Bit of confusion re breakfast times 2 different times given both incorrect it starts at 6 am !!
Room and decor lovely.took some time to work out how swipe key works,lights etc comfy bed amazing bath products cleaned beautifully. I Agree pillows are soft but fine by me. Wardrobe was a bit annoying. Major complaint is getting tv working....maybe provide a written explanation we had to call for help twice!!!
Pool amazing towels readily available a nice touch may be to offer guests water it is hot but bar staff will give you if you ask.
Breakfast amazing...peak periods busy great variety.some staff clearly in beginning stages of training some friendlier than others.set over 4 stations you won't go hungry.wasnt a huge fan of the coffee.
Gym fantastic state of the art equipment
Our major problem was with a request we had made to have some special food stored and heated which I e mailed hotel about and was told no problem. Well this created a huge huge drama. Was told no storing no reheating after I has signed a document to say they would . Back and forth it went phone going at least 6 times dealing with whatever whenever. Than once resolved meals took up to 2 hrs to come on occasion!!! However they were very apologetic and I'm sure as they hadn't had this request before it was confusing
Loved the woo bar it had the best sangria and a dj playing really nice vibe
Food and drinks expensive but you are at a five star resort
Finally I travelled with my 7 month old.staff super friendly.we got a proper cot that they had just assembled and a cute pack of baby products.great baby chairs in restaurant. Baby always greeted.
Also bell staff were amazing very friendly
All in all I'm a huge fan I only scored it 4 because of the problems we experienced with the food we had bought,it was a bit of a downer on an otherwise amazing stay
Whatever whenever ...w sentosa I'm a huge fan

Room Tip: Definitely try for a fantastic room overlooking marina a balcony is a must
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
StephaneFabregoul, Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Hello Dany,

Thanks for such a great feedback.

Just would like to confirm to you that our breakfast open at 6 am and close at 11 am. The team have been briefed again to make sure we are consistent in our communication. We had the same comments from many of our guests regarding the softness of the pilow, we keep now an extra hard pilow in each wardrobe room. We have placed recently an information regarding the TV and are actually working with the contractor to make the use easiest! As we have very strong Food & Hygiene policy, we do ask our guests to sign a disclaim form while using our fridge for food storage. The process have been again explain to our Whatever/whenever service.

Looking forward to welcome you agin very soon

Best Regards
Bandung, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

i know some people had a bad stay but our stayed was wonderful. we stayed from thursday through sunday last weekend and it is awesome. our check in is fast and effective. our room is big and comfy and love the bathroom. the breakfast r amazing. no lack of service there. they bring us anything we want. i got to eat special order egg Benedict, yum. my daughter can order hot cocoa, waffle with ice cream and others. and the food r delicious. The pool is the highlight of our trip. So nice. it was kind a busy on saturday but any other time, it feels like private pool. and they gave us free water at the pool bar if we asked. we tried the gym also. one of the best hotel gym. they have all the important equipment for weight training and also cool cardio equipment. very nice. we used the shuttle twice, once to sentosa and once to orchid. both on time and fast and great. the check out process is also fast and they have our taxi ready when we done with check out. we as family love this hotel a lot and will definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay and hope you did have a relaxed time staying with us. It is also nice to hear that you like our facilities

We can’t wait to see you back in the hotel to enjoy a drink or a stay! I am sure we will do even better to satisfy your expectations. See you soon!

All the best,
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The first thing that struck us about this hotel was how bright and airy it is (some of the other W hotels tend to be dimly lit). It is set in a secluded part of Sentosa Island so if you are looking to be in the midst of city action, you may find this location inconvenient (more on this later). However we loved that it was quiet and away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

My favorite part has got to be the decor. The entire hotel oozes beautifully chic, contemporary design. And I loved the quirky touches throughout, such as the wall of felted "stones" in the hallways to the cool black feather lamp in the bedroom. Everything seemed to have been thoughtfully picked out and we were thrilled to experience this amazing decor while it was spanking new. We stayed in the Marvelous Suite and had other family members stay in the Fabulous rooms. All rooms had big picture windows that brought the outside in. The windows in the suite had motorized curtains and the expanse of those windows (continuous from bathroom through the living room) made the entire space come alive. We enjoyed looking at the blinking lights in the city while lying in bed at night. The Fabulous Rooms were of a decent size and I have a feeling the difference amongst the Wonderful, Fabulous, and Spectacular Rooms is just what view you are getting (hotel entrance area vs. marina vs pool).

The controls for the lights and TV were a bit "fancy" and could be confusing. E.g. in the suite there is no separate channel control for the TV in the bathroom - it's whatever is on the bedroom TV. But overall, the hardware for the hotel is undoubtedly first-rate.

Which brings us to the software part. Other reviewers have commented on service not being up to par. While we have experienced some quirks and feel that certain things need to be ironed out in this new hotel, all the service staff we met were very friendly and eager to help. The front desk staff, in particular this perky Chinese girl with long hair, were all very helpful, and the check-in process, at least when I stayed there, was fairly seamless. We met the General Manager who was friendly and explained how the hotel design incorporated green principles. The staff at breakfast were very efficient - they were always on hand to remove plates and bring us tea, etc. and were constantly circulating without hovering. I thought the service was fantastic, the food decent, and the juice area, with fresh squeezed juice in individual glass bottles the best part. The space does feel tight though with the breakfast crowds. And it's the only place we were able to find morning papers, which you are not allowed to remove from the restaurant. Not a biggie, but it would have been nice to get a daily newspaper in your room.

As mentioned earlier, the hotel is in a quiet part of Sentosa with few cabs waiting in the lobby area (you can always get one called for you but there is a surcharge). The hotel was offering a free shuttle bus to Resorts World, Vivo City, and Ion Orchard and we were given a schedule upon check-in. A couple of days later when we tried to use the shuttle we were dismayed to learn that they had moved the schedule and we had missed the bus by 15 minutes. This is an example of things needing to be ironed out.

The pool was beautiful (the hotel has no beach); the jacuzzi sprays at the side of the pool were fun, and I swear the pool was heated the first day we used it (it felt colder the next day). We got a massage at the AWAY spa and scheduling, even for a couple massage, was a breeze, and the Balinese masseuses we got were very good.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable stay and we look forward to going back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We are fans of W hotels. Since the day we came to know the planned opening of W Singapore, we had been looking forward to it eagerly and after it was opened, we have been searching and reading reviews diligently. Then we saw the amount of negative reviews, which did cause our concerns and hesitations and we almost decided to cancel our bookings at some point of time. But in the end, we still decided to go on with our original plan and give it a try. We are glad we did, because overall, we had an enjoyable stay over the long weekend.

We are not going to repeat what others already mentioned about the good things of the hotel, e.g. the trendy design, the good hardware, the beautiful large pool… We agreed with them all.

This stay reminded us our visit to W Bali last year when it was just opened for 1 month plus. Same teething problems, such as inexperienced and clueless staff, faulty equipment; same factor to make us ignore all the minor hiccups and major issues and still give it a 5-stars rating, which is the staff attitude, especially the management attitude and responsiveness.

Having said that, we did have 2 issues with our stay:

1. We had some issues with the cleanliness of our bed which was indeed unpleasant and unacceptable and did affect our mood. However, once pointed out, they acknowledged and apologized sincerely, from the housekeeping staff, the customer relations manager, to the hotel manager. They made amendments and they provided service recovery immediately with great care of details. Although I am a SPG platinum member, this is the first time for me to experience such level of responsiveness and attentiveness at a Starwood property. In the past, I only felt being so well taken care of at Shangri La properties as their diamond member.

2. There was a guy from the bellhop team who was incredibly rude and unhelpful when we tried to get some help with the bicycles. But again, once pointed out, his department manager apologized, the hotel manager apologized and the department manager, Mr. Suresh, took out his tools and fixed the bicycles for us on the spot. Need we say more?

We are firm believers of the old saying that your attitude determines your altitude. It is the management’s determination to make things right that truly impressed us.

Followings are some observations during our stay and some suggestions to the management.

We feel that the major issue W Singapore is currently facing is that they are having high occupancy rate while they are under staffed, and most of the staff are very new and inexperienced in the service and hospitality industry. Many of the guests’ complain resulted from this. We were told by the hotel manager that they are hiring more staff while providing more trainings to new comers.

1. The check-in counters are too small for such a big hotel and the worst thing is that they mixed front desk with concierge. So, everything was squeezed into the 3 counters that are in operation. Our suggestion is to have another separate counter for concierge to reduce the waiting time for both check in/out guests and guests who need help from concierge. In most hotels, these are separate and the concierge is often located near the entrance.

2. Pillows
The W Singapore does have thick pillows. So if you don’t like flat pillows, just ask them to bring thicker one. That’s what we did and ended up with great sleep. We understand that most hotels setup their room with a mix of both thick and thin pillows; maybe W Singapore can consider that too.

3. The breakfast area is very small and crowded and is like a war field during peak hours. They now opened Skirt for seating during peak breakfast hours. But again, guests in Skirt can only get food from the Kitchen Table. So this did not really reduce the traffic in the Kitchen Table. Suggestion is they can put some food stations in the Skirt as well. This is like a combination of the Kitchen Table and Skirt for breakfast which will produce a lot more spaces. Anyway, they are just opposite each other, so why not? We remembered our stay at Conrad Singapore. The queues for breakfast at its Oscar were really long during peak days, so they opened their ballroom and duplicated food there for breakfast.

4. We found most of the restaurant staff is very nice, polite and helpful. A lot more friendly and helpful than staff in many restaurants in Singapore we would say. They are just too busy to initiate any help during peak hours. But if you do put a request, their answers are almost always like “certainly, I will get that for you”.

5. Food
Try the Meringue – It is a soft and sweet dessert cake, with coconut icing. If you like soft, creamy, sweet taste, this is for you. Their White Forest cake is also very special, very fresh and smooth. We also enjoyed the salmon sushi, grilled prawn from the Skirt, and mango smoothies from the Wet bar. Our son especially liked the flower candy stick and the chocolate puff on a chopstick.

6. Signs of improvement
One reviewer mentioned that their buffet breakfast closed at 11am sharp then staff would start mopping and vacuum the floor immediately. We didn’t experience this during our stay. On both mornings, the buffet breakfast closed at around 11.30am and while there was staff to clean the tables, no one did vacuum while there were still guests around. This became more obvious when we had one late lunch at the Kitchen Table. We left the restaurant at around 5pm and we were the last guests there. The vacuum guy waited patiently at a corner and with a smile. From this small example, we do believe their GM’s reply as in some posts that they are improving day by day.

Finally, there is some staff that provided such exceptional services to us that we feel it is our responsibilities to highlight them in our review:

Firstly, the hotel manager, Mr.Yogeswaran. We felt so lucky to have him taken care of us during our stay. How to describe him? This man is really down to earth and hands on, hardworking with vigilant eyes, seems like he is always there and he is everywhere. Whenever there are troubles, he would come out suddenly to solve it. He was very good at rapport building with hotel guests too. We always saw him mingle with hotel guests in the lobby. He is like an old friend to us when we had to say goodbye.

Mr. Jasbeer, the pool manager who just joined W one week ago. He is sincere, warm and very nice to our son even at the first encounter when we ordered drinks from him at the Wet bar. He also took care of our dining needs one night. He was so attentive but never intrusive, a demonstration of total professionalism. He is apparently one of the few experienced staff in W Singapore now, definitely a great asset to the hotel.

Ms. Kee from the restaurant, a beautiful young lady, always cheerful even when she is extremely busy. And whatever our requests were, she never answered No without trying. From what we saw, her positive attitude applied to all the guests. She really went beyond and above to help us and light up our moods when we had breakfast every morning. In time, she will become a service star in Starwoods we believe. Btw, Ms.Kee, a Happy Birthday from us and our little boy!

Ms. Catherine, Ms. Elle, Mr. Vijay, Mr Raymond, and Mr Kenny, all from the restaurant, who also gave us great service and were very nice to our son too.

After our lengthy review, we do agree with one reviewer that in 6 months to 1 year, this hotel will become much better. At current stage, set your expectation right and speak out your needs and requests. Don’t expect them to anticipate your needs and satisfy you without asking, they are too fresh to do it. Once you tell them what you need and what you want, high chance you will get your requests fulfilled.

Will I stay there again? Definitely! A resort style hotel at my door steps, what’s better than that?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hello JandKfamily,

Thanks for your review,

Your comments will be shared with the concern department. Training our talents remain a priority for us and your feedback will help us to improve our services.

I appreciate that you also recognize a few of our talents. They are trying hard and your message will be communicated to them, this is the best way to motivate them!

Looking forward to welcome you back soon.

All the best,

Been to W Singapore Sentosa Cove? Share your experiences!