“A great choice for families.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort & Spa, Singapore

You added Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort & Spa, Singapore to your Saves list
Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort & Spa, Singapore
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   101 Siloso Road, Sentosa Island 098970, Singapore (Formerly Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort, Singapore )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Kids stay and dine Free!
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Portland, Oregon, United States
“A great choice for families.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

My wife and I stay-cationed here and came away very happy with the experience. Here's my quick take...

PROS
- The Shangri-La Rasa is the only hotel on Sentosa with direct access to the beach, which is a big plus.
- The Sea View rooms really do offer great views of the South China Sea.
- Huge pool with distinct areas for families and grown-ups.
- Though the hotel is very large and was heavily occupied during our stay, we found the service staff to be gracious and eager to help.
- Surprisingly good breakfast.

CONS
- It's the closest you'll get to a cruise on land, which has its ups and downs. The downside is that, outside of your room, you're not going to get much in the way of seclusion—for example, expect the pool to be packed all day.
- Located on the far west end of Sentosa, it can be a challenge to reach other parts of the island and cabs can be really hard to come by at peak times. Sentosa offers a free bus service to all of the key attractions, but getting around was a bit of a pain.

BOTTOM LINE: If you're a couple, I'd recommend something more along the lines of the Capella or the new W, but if you're traveling with family and want a resort experience, the Shangri-La Rasa is tough to beat.

Room Tip: You really can't go wrong with a Sea View room—they all feature great views of the South China S...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (603)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I would strongly recommend to families because of the fantastic facilities here. The breakfast experience is great, with a great variety of food and 'counters' serving really delicious food!

The chefs at the counters were extremely friendly, especially Shahril (Indian food counter) and Aunty Lam. It made my breakfast experience simply relaxing and memorable. A great improvement ever since I last visited one year plus ago. Price is steep compared to other hotels in Singapore but the rate is reasonable considering the location and good quality. Bed and pillows are simply so comfy!

For those with kids, it is a great place because of the kids club, swimming pool and the attentive service of the staff. Had a fantastic and memorable celebration of my hubby's birthday here thanks to the staff. Thanks!:)

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

From afar this hotel looks like a good location to bring kids and for the most part will deliver on that front. The rooms were nice and the pools were perfect for the kids.

The buses that take you to the casino and Vivo city are also very helpful and complimentary.

I especially liked the staff as they were ALL very friendly and helpful. I will say that the check-in took 20 minutes which was really bizarre but that isn’t enough to stop a booking.

What I didn't enjoy was the costs for all the additional things... Being a hotel really promoting families they charge you for so many extras. They have all these paddle boats and extracurricular things to do but all costs money so you can see it all sitting there basically all day being unused. We ran out of sunscreen and when we asked for some from the staff we were directed to the shop where they charged $35 for sunscreen! Where we are form most hotels, sport venues etc have it sitting at the counter for free. The comical one was that you could play ping pong but they charged you $1 per ball! There is also no point eating at the resort as they charge you a fortune to eat some of the most basic foods. For a burger and coke it cost me $40... Get my drift?!

Again if you come for the rooms and pools you will have a good time but you will have to catch a cab/bus if you want to leave the area for decent food or essentials if you don’t want to blow the budget.

Room Tip: Ask for the one closer to the elevators as the hallways are excessively long.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I have waited around a month to write this review as I was afraid I would be overly harsh in my comments - but the more I think about it and the price of this hotel, the harsher the better so that they can improve their customer service.

I knew my family (2 adults, 2 kids aged 2 and 5) would arrive at 5am in the morning into Singapore.As a loyalty card customer, I contacted the hotel in advance and they replied stating that if our room was available we could have early check-in but to guarantee early-check-in I should pay for the night before. Given that no mention was made of paying for early-check-in if the room was avaialable then we decided to chance it. At over £215 a night this hotel is not cheap! Luckily (or not for us it would seem) our flight landed earlier than planned and we arrived at the hotel at 5am with one sleeping child and another one rather tired and grumpy. Unlike other Shangri La hotels we have stayed at (and arrived at during the night) we were not offered cool towels or any drinks. I asked if our room was available to which I was told it was but that we would have to pay a full nights accommodation. I pointed out the email to the receptionist who returned with the duty manager who, after a long discussion, gave us early check-in for £120 then told us we couldn't have breakfast. He said we could have a cup of tea in the foyer at that time but no breakfast. I was furious but got the kids into our room right away so they could sleep. The room (549) was lovely though only one room away from the foyer door to them ain reception so by 7am it was loud and it interrupted our sleep after an overnight flight. It also disrupted us late at night which is unacceptable when you have young children in the room.

The room had a king sized double bed and a double sofa bed in it so perfect for families like us which is rather unusual in Asia. The bedding was clean though there were a shortage of pillows. There was no pillow menu which you would expect of a 5 star resort and the pillows I found too soft to be much use to man nor beast. They also only left two bath towels and there was no bath mat at all so we had to use a hand towel for the floor. There were the usual toiletires in the bathroom but no razor which was annoying.

As our stay went on there were other niggles with the resort - the kids play pool area was switched off often with no warning. There was building work in the reosrt that we were not warned about before arrival nor was it mentioned on their website. This work was noisy during the day and did ruin any chance of relaxation in the gorgoues pool area. The pools themselves were clean and cool - much needed in the soaring temperatures in May. The food and drink at the poolside bar were as expected price-wise and taste - no real complaints there. However where my complaints lie with the food is the breakfast service. The first morning we went down (well the first morning we were allowed to use the breakfast service) we were treated to a yoghurt drink on arrival and shown quickly to a table inside. The buffet service was stretched out over a large area with a designated Children's Corner - fantastic idea if it was ever stocked up. Often food would run out and was not replaced in a timely fashion. There were long queues for the french toast and people double-dipping the sauces in that area. The eggs were prepared fresh and the queue there could be long but it went pretty fast. There were plenty of plates and bowls for adults but the childnre's equipment was sorely lacking - great idea but only if it was stocked up regularly. There were never any bowls there and it was frustrating watching adults and teenagers take the bowls and plates from this area when my 2 year old stood there upset that she couldn't have a pink bowl or plate! The coco-pops ran out quickly and were never replaced that I could see. On the second day we had to queue for over 20 minutes to even get inside for a seat and the lack of food was more apparent that day. There was an additional seating area that could have been used but was not opened up at all and no explanation offered for when I asked about this. They just seemed inadequately staffed for the number of guests they had. However the food was good and we didn't starve. Watch out for the monitor lizards in the breakfast area - they were majestic!

Next was the deterioration of the room itself. It was not cleaned on the first day despite having to pay extra to use it so the following day we had to re-use 2 towels that had already hbeen shared between four people twice already! The floor was not swept the whole time we were there and my feet were black walking across the floor on day 3! I also noticed on day 3 that hair (not mine) was stuck to the shelves by the bathroom - I was disgusted! However on day 3 we did get a bath mat - woo hoo! The room was consistently damp with the pages of our books and passports starting to wrinkle up, I can only attribute that to the foyer door being conitually pinned open by other guests/staff and our poor aircon could not deal with all that extra humidity and heat. Despite asking for extra towels and pillows each day - they never came.

At check-out we were given the option to use the refresh room which was a godsend as we had a late flight and had spent the day hanging out on the luge (fab!). It was lovely to get a shower and changed before our flight home.

And then the challenge to get to the airport. We made the concierge aware that we would be leaving for the airport within 30 minutes of using the refresh room and would a taxi be available. We were assured we would be fine and so we relaxed and came out 30 minutes later expecting to step into a taxi. Oh no, we had to queue with other guests for over 40 minutes. After explaining three times to the staff that we were going to miss our flight, they continually lied to us that they were constantly on the phone to the taxi company - erm no they weren't they were too busy chatting to other staff members. We asked if it would be quicker for us to get the shuttle to Vivo City and then get a taxi from there but they said that the shuttle wouldn't take our one suitcase so we were stuck. Eventually 50 minutes after leaving the refresh room a taxi appeared that we quickly scrambled into and he (bless him) drove like an F1 driver to get us to the aiprort on time. We literally had 5 minutes to check-in at the airport so I was well stressed out.

To be fair to the hotel they had two large conferences going on with Indian companies but if they can't handle the numbers they had then don't do it!

So given that I have had the most amazing experience previously at the Shangri-La Rasa Ria in Kota Kinabalu, this hotel has a lot to improve on especially it's customer service. I will NEVER stay here again and instead will choose the Novotel in Clarke Quay again - cheaper, better service and you can still get to Sentosa with no problems. Sorely disappointed and hugely out of pocket. The hotel have yet to respond to a letter of complaint that I sent to them. Not very good for a hotel that I have a loyalty card for and have stayed at other resorts of theirs.

Room Tip: Don't get room 549!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
SENGM1, General Manager at Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort & Spa, Singapore, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear daisynova,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are concerned about your recent stay experience with us, as such, may I request that you contact me at ben.bousnina@shangri-la.com so that I can have the opportunity to discuss these concerns further with you.

Yours sincerely,
Ben Bousnina
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We really enjoyed our 7 night stay with boys aged 5 and 9. Although the room was on the small side for our family of 4, it was more than made up for by what there is outside the room. We could have stayed longer.

The buffet breakfasts and dinners were just excellent - most delicious and a range of choices. The pool, with water slides for the kids and pool activities each day was a winner. The kids club was also good - our youngest kept asking to go back. Then there was the beach, with beach activities, including the trapeze which the kids enjoyed. The staff were great with the kids and very helpful to us. Free Wifi was also great enabling us to keep in touch with work.

Finally, although it was possible to spend a day at the resort, it is conveniently located to explore Singapore city ( I enjoyed the late night shopping on Orchard Rd - 20 mins by taxi), there is a hotel shuttle bus to Vivo City (a new shopping centre), there is Universal studios (short local bus trip, spent a day there) and Adventure Cove (water slide park). This enables a beach/pool holiday, but with urban entertainment very close by, so you get the best of both worlds.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in May- June 2013.
The stay was very good, food was fantastic. We thought that we won’t be getting any Indian food here but we were surprised to see the variety of Indian food.
Children’s will enjoy a lot; hotel has Children pool with slides, Toddler area, Game Arcade, Tree house, beach etc...
Nice location near to underwater world Sentosa, wave house.

Room Tip: choose the sea view room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Had a staycation here recently and is happy to report that the room was gorgeous, and serve, impeccable. The outdoor jacuzzi was fun! Love the idea of a kiddy section at the Breakfast buffet table too ;) Room was pricey but worth it for that special occasion.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Shangri-La's Rasa Sentosa Resort & Spa, Singapore? Share your experiences!