“Lives up to expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Capella Singapore

You added Capella Singapore to your Saves list
Capella Singapore
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 The Knolls, Sentosa Island, Sentosa Island 098297, Singapore   |
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Singapore, Singapore
“Lives up to expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Expensive but very fine. From the breakfast , spa, service, gym, room, view everything was well designed n planned by the management. Would recommend two to three nights stay. Could explore the island sentosa

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Alejandro H, General Manager at Capella Singapore, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts of our hotel here on Tripadvisor. Created by Master Architect Lord Norman Foster, Capella Singapore is truly a work of art. Every detail here at Capella Singapore is meticulously woven together with care. It is a masterpiece that we are truly proud to be a part of.

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Capella Singapore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Happened to attend a business dinner my wife and I were really impressed by the character of the hotel, it's surrounding and the high end quality service of the staff. ! Definitely a place to recommend !

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
It is truly encouraging to hear that you had a lovely time here at Capella Singapore during your business dinner. People are our greatest assets and we take pride in training, grooming and developing our people's talents. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Capella Singapore.

Muscat, Oman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We stayed at the hotel mainly because it was a Norman Foster design and had good reviews on Trip Advisor. The hotel feels like a mix of Raffles with touches of 2001. Quite an impressive combination of colonial design with modern touches all over. Loved the look of the hotel and the grounds. I wish the walk to the bottom where all the action is (Sentosa play area) is a good 15 minute trek. Its alright going down but quite an ordeal if you have a pram. Finally I was expecting more in terms of refined service. It still is the best hotel in Sentosa and the only one I'd stay at.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Alejandro H, General Manager at Capella Singapore, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
I am truly delighted to know that the design and architecture of Capella Singapore was much to your liking. Capella Singapore is blessed to have two charming iconic colonial centrepieces and the lush space for Master Architect Lord Norman Foster to create the stunning modern architectural masterpiece.

Capella Singapore is indeed very conveniently situated near the tranquil beaches of Sentosa however, I do understand the inconvenience of having to carry the pram through the steps that lead to the beach access. For your next visit, I would recommend approaching any of our Front Office staff for assistance and we would be most happy to send you and your family closer to the beach access for a minimal walk.

Nevertheless, I am still pleased that you had an enjoyable time with us and I hope to be able to welcome you back to Capella Singapore again soon.

Cumbria UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

My husband and I stayed here prior to travelling to New Zealand for our sons wedding. From start to finish the staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. Nothing was to much trouble.

The room was large with excellent facilities. The grounds were beautiful with well laid out gardens. We ate in both the restaurants and they were very good.

Can't wait to stay there again

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
It is such a joy to read about the wonderful experience you had during your stay with us. I am very pleased to know that our staff were perfect hosts to you throughout your stay and that you were able to enjoy much of the hotel facilities, restaurants, and the hotel’s lush tropical surroundings.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to Capella Singapore again for your next visit.

Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Great hotel, one of the best in Singapore. Lots of greenery, calm, quiet, very beautiful. Food and drink, cleanliness, room / especially liked our villa with pool / corresponds to 5 stars. Were a few comments on the service / not cleaned in time, do not bring water / but they did not spoil the holiday experience.
I want to commend the work of manager Paul. High professionalism, friendliness, knowledge of the Russian language, the ability to solve any problem.
Very pleasant experience, I recommend this hotel for families.
Best regards, Maxim

Room Tip: All villas are good, especially Pool villa two-bedroom garden view
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
I am thrilled to know that you had an enjoyable time with us, and especially happy that your found the room and the restaurants much to your liking. Pavel is one of the few native Russian speaking hotel staff in Singapore and I am very pleased that he was able to be of much assistance to you and your family.

We truly appreciate your feedback and I do apologise for any lapses in service that you encountered during your stay with us. Your comments have been communicated to the relevant departments for our improvement.

Thank you for your kind review and recommendation. I hope that you will be back to stay with us again.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

This was our 3rd time at Capella, for 4 nights (from 13 to 17 Apr) at a premier sea view room. Overall we enjoyed our previous stays better because there were better views on the 4th floor than the rooms on the 3rd, where we were located this time.

The check in process was quick and efficient, and we settled into our 1st room (#320) quite nicely, before realising in the evening that the motor for the balcony blinds was not working. The hotel offered to shift us to a new room the next morning and we agreed. However, when it was time to shift, no one contacted us or showed up to help, and we had to wait about 45min after calling reception before the shift finally happened.

We were relocated to room #310 across the garden, which was slightly smaller than the original room, with a less desirable view (the room overlooked the pool and trees and the sea was only visible from the right corner). When we spoke to guest services about this, they again offered to rectify the situation by finding another room for us, but i declined because there was just too much hassle and time wastage involved when we had a baby and a dog with us.

The blinds in the 2nd room did act up a little as well by automatically lowering themselves on our 2nd last night even though none of us in the room then touched any of the switches or panel buttons. But they were fine for the most part, and we didn't highlight this to the hotel till checkout.

Generally, we had an uneventful stay other than the change of rooms. We did feel that there were delays to housekeeping and turn-downs in our time there, and room service on the 2nd night as well. But I understood from a few staff that the hotel was running at full occupancy, and witnessed for myself a couple of tour buses dropping off large groups of tourists for check-in in the 5 days we were there. As a Singaporean, i appreciated that the delays were manageable and service was not too over the top, in the hope that the hotel could pay more attention to the needs of foreign visitors.

Whenever a situation arose when we had direct contact with hotel staff, the service was largely pleasant and professionally executed, although not always as warm and friendly as we had previously experienced. I think the staff might have been feeling some fatigue from the high occupancy demands as well.

There were 3 staff in particular that left positive impressions on us, and they are Sueann from The Knolls, Ah Qing from Housekeeping, and Mr Devan from In-Room Dining. I hope i got their names right. Sueann was very patient and efficient in arranging for us to be seated for high tea on our check-in day even though we arrived without reservations and had ordered our meal from Cassia instead of The Knolls. She also made an effort to remember us and make appropriate outdoor seating arrangements so that my nephew and dog could be with us at breakfast without causing disturbance to other guests. Ah Qing was very professional and efficient in cleaning up and restocking our room with the necessary amenities, doing so in an un-intrusive manner which appealed to us very much. And Mr Devan was an absolute delight whenever he delivered our food, my 14-month old nephew really took to his warm and friendly manner - they sort of became friends after the 2nd night evening :)

In addition, Filipina and Natasha from the guest relations team also tried very hard to help us recover from the room change incident, and we appreciated the waiver offered on one of in-room dinners. It was a sign to me that the hotel had empowered their staff to deliver good service, which was nice.

Overall, we loved the quality of the beds, the hotel's location (privately tucked away yet conveniently located 5 min from the Sentosa gateway). I visited the spa once during my stay and the service and facilities were great.

It's a tough call between 3 or 4 points on the rating scale for me this time, and i'm going with 3 because i feel that it's time for Capella to step up maintenance efforts for its rooms as well as its service management and coordination systems (e.g. things like ensuring messages are passed on between shifts, providing better support to front-line staff in periods of high occupancy, etc.)

There were some nice gestures we'd experienced in previous stays (such as a welcome letter from the GM) that were left out this time, and i did pause to wonder if it was because we were repeat guests or whether we had booked the room at a lower advance payment rate. There were also a couple of other small incidents, such as the valet staff forgetting to drive my car out to the front for me on one of the nights, resulting in my having to pay a full overnight parking fee as i was in a hurry to get out the next morning. The duty manager who processed my checkout also promised to email me on the same day regarding a special meal or stay package for future consideration/reservations, but at the moment there is no sight of the email yet.

In both of the above instances, the staff i interacted with were perfectly nice, courteous and professional. I really appreciated their efforts to please there and then and it would have been totally fine and understandable if no promises had been made. However, i am slightly disappointed at the lack of follow-through after my expectations were raised.

I'm not sure if i will stay at Capella again in the short-term. On average, we had made repeated visits every 8 months in the last couple of years, and might explore other options for future stay-cations before deciding whether to return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor provide a much better view than the 3rd.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Alejandro H, General Manager at Capella Singapore, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
First of all, thank you for your continued support for Capella Singapore. It is always a joy to have you and your family come back to stay with us. I am very happy to know that you found the service from our staff much to your liking, especially with Swen from The Knolls, Ah Qing from Housekeeping, and Devan from In-Room Dining.

It is very disappointing to learn that your experience this time was not as perfect as before, and I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconsistencies that you have highlighted in your review. These lapses are not at all the Capella standard and we will certainly be looking into our service processes to ensure that this does not happen again.

I do hope that you will be able to give us a second chance and I look forward to being able to welcome you back to Capella Singapore.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

I booked a Villa with a private plunge pool for this brief three-day stay. The Villas are really big, Lots of space to move around! I love when it takes a lots steps to get from one end to the other! So first, the pluses: Big space, relaxing day bed type sofa in the living room which was great to watch TV. Loved my terrace and the small, but perfectly adequate plunge pool. Lovely bedroom and HUGE bath. Two showers - one in the bath and one outside. The tub is also outside (protected with a privacy wall, of course).

BOSE stereo in the living room and bedroom. Lovely. Hard to believe you are so close to Singapore, yet so far away. BTW, most of Sentosa is really cheesy (and I'm American, folks, so I know cheesy...lol), but the Capella is a nice oasis and really has nothing to do with the 'Sentosa experience.'

The reason for not 5 stars? Two: The villas are not nearly as private as they say. Be warned, you WILL be seen by your neighbors or the access road...at least that is the case from my villa. And as I walked around, I could clearly see the terraces of other villas (okay, I know that sounds stalker-ish, but it's true. You'd look too...). Second reason for no 5 stars: Breakfast. I'm sorry, but I'm in a VERY expensive, top-of-the-line Sentosa hotel and you can't make me my own pot of tea? Really? And the bread selection is lame.

It is tranquil, the villa was lovely and spacious, just not as isolated as I hoped and the breakfast was definitely 3 star.

Room Tip: I was in Villa 001. This may be the best choice as it is slightly isolated with only one other vill...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
It is such a pleasure to read about how much you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the facilities and luxury of the villa. Indeed as you have mentioned, Capella Singapore is very idyllically located just minutes away from the bustling city but surrounded in the tranquility of natural foliage.

I do understand the privacy issues with the villas and I assure you that we are taking measures to rectify it. As with your comments on the breakfast spread, we will certainly look into ways to improve the experience for all our guests.

Capella Singapore

Been to Capella Singapore? Share your experiences!