“Fabulous” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Capella Singapore

You added Capella Singapore to your Saves list
Capella Singapore
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 The Knolls, Sentosa Island, Sentosa Island 098297, Singapore   |
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Perth
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

After spending a few nights at the Valley Wing Shangri La we were a little disappointed at feeling like just a regular guest again. The Capella had asked beforehand if we were coming for any particular reason, we told them it was our 10th wedding anniversary and nothing more was mentioned of it. At the Shangers they also asked in advance and greeted us with a specially made cake and several staff congratulated us(don't want to sound precious but not sure why they asked in the first place).
My hubby felt a bit let down at the service level initially but after a day or so we settled in to the more subdued feel of the Capella. The grounds are amazing- ask the concierge to organise a buggy tour - this was great to get a lay of the land. Our room was lovely- very large with a view of the sea- have to say lots of people had commented on how horrible looking at the view was due to the shipping lanes- we found it fascinating! Our own home has big ocean views but pretty much just ocean views and at night nothing- the lights of the ships were awesome to look at and always changing. Amazing watching a storm roll in one eveving from our 5th floor room.
Pool area and spa were gorgeous, the hotel was pretty full but hardly saw more than 5 other people at any one time. Our two girls loved the resident peacocks and fed them daily.
We felt welcome at high tea in the library- special mention to lovely Gregory- so helpful. The selection was fabulous- we loved it, high tea and a few games of UNO! The room service food was beautiful- we also dined at Cassia- a very good standard, reasonable prices compared to here in WA, expensive alcohol of course but hey.
The stretch of beach in front of the hotel is a kids paradise- so much to do, all within very short distances on the map. I was sceptical about universal studios but it was great- the concierge issued the tickets from their front desk so no lining up- highly recommended.
If you can- ask for Maria to be your PA- she was delightful. Next time we come back we will stay in a manor- they look amazing- just watch out for the massive lizards!!!

Room Tip: A premier sea view was large enough for 2 adults and 1 child in cot, 1 on sofa bed made up. Ask fo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
sandyliw, Director of Sales & Marketing at Capella Singapore, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Firstly, a very happy 10th anniversary to you and your husband, thank you for choosing to celebrate this momentous occasion at Capella Singapore. At Capella Singapore, we do our best to ensure that each of our guests has a memorable and unique experience with us, be it just a simple holiday or a special occasion. Please accept my sincere apologies that our service flow was not up to your expectations. Our staff should have taken a more pro-active approach in celebrating your anniversary and for that I am deeply sorry. I assure you that I have highlighted this to the team and we will definitely improve to ensure it does not happen again. Your feedback is truly important to us as it helps us to continue growing as individuals and as a hotel.

That said, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our rooms are luxuriously spacious and the seaview rooms are indeed a favourite among many guests. I am glad you were able to enjoy a meal at Cassia as well as afternoon tea in The Library along with the many services The Library has to offer such as the games. I do agree, Sentosa is a wonderful place for families with children and Capella Singapore is just within minutes of many of these attractions. I am so glad that you share my sentiments about the shipping lanes that bring life and colour to the South China Sea.

I have shared your compliment about Maria with her. She is truly a valuable member of the team.

Thank you again for your comments and recommendations. I am looking forward to welcoming you and your family back in one of our manors for your next stay.

Capella Singapore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Vevey, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I have stayed at several 5star hotels over the last years in Singapore, and this is my absolute favorite! The rooms are fabulous and the service outstanding. It is very quiet and not as crowded as most hotels in Singapore. Pools and overall design is spectacular and very classy. Strongly recommended if you want to be treated as a king in a wonderful ambiente

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review on Tripadvisor. I am absolutely thrilled to learn that we are your favourite luxury hotel in Singapore. With 30-acres of land and only 112 guest rooms, Capella Singapore is definitely as you described - a quiet and peaceful retreat away from the crowd. All our guests are important to us and we do our best to create memorable experiences for each guest with service catered to their unique needs.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Capella Singapore again soon.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed 2 nights at a Premier Room recently. The first impression hit me as soon as the door of my room was opened. The blinds automatically opened to reveal a picturesque window framing a huge Ficus tree with the sea in the backdrop. The room was very impressive and comfortable. The service was warm and friendly but not attentive. They did not anticipate a guest's needs. This I experienced at the food outlets. I was not overly impressed with the menu at the 2 food outlets. However, I give top marks to the grounds which to me felt like a sanctuary for a well heeled traveller. If you are looking for rest from the madding crowd, then you should choose Capella. Very restful, free of loud chatter from other guests and you feel in complete one with nature. I particularly like the idea of 3 pools at 3 different levels and you can swim in utter privacy.

Room Tip: A hight floor and with a window facing the trees and the sea
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I am glad that you enjoyed your room and its facilities. At Capella Singapore we do have the largest hotel rooms in Singapore and each Premier Room features a truly magnificent garden or seaview.

Your comments on the service and menus at our restaurants are much appreciated as it gives us the opportunity to improve. I will share this feedback with the relevant teams so we can improve and serve you and all our guests better.

Nonetheless, I am happy that you found your stay with us enjoyable and a restful break from the city crowd. Thank you for your feedback. I hope to be able to welcome you back to Capella Singapore again.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed April 2013 in Villa 53. Very spacious for family with young children. Two boys slept head to tail on lounge/mini bed and baby in cot.

Staff provide impeccable service and have great memories of names of everyone in the family! Nice fluffy towels, beautiful linen.

Cassis restaurant and room service very nice. Children well catered for in every aspect of hotel. We spent a week here and could have stayed longer. So much to do in Singapore and the food is fantastic everywhere, from hawker centres to fine dining.

Easy to travel into city. Taxi's mainly for us. Beautiful shopping in Marina Sands.

Lovely place to stay for a few nights or longer. A few minor things the hotel could improve on, but overall I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
I am so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Our villas are indeed spacious, a perfect space for the whole family. I especially enjoy the privacy of soaking in your own plunge pool! At Capella Singapore, we do our very best to cater to all the needs of each guest, even for the children.

Cassia, our fine dining Chinese restaurant is definitely a lovely choice for dining and I am happy that you enjoyed it. I do agree that Singapore is a wonderful food paradise, be it for fine dining or local fare.

Thank you for the kind recommendation. I assure you that we are determined to constantly improve ourselves through training and feedback. We do hope to provide a higher level of service on your next visit.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I must say it was a wonderful experience staying at Capella. The room, the service, the decor, the amenities are immaculate. Every time I tell someone I booked Capella for a staycation, they frown and say - isn't that too expensive? You can go to Bangkok and back for that kind of price. But after just a one night stay in the hotel, I really feel that it is worth the money and time. There are certain things money can buy and Capella just provides some of these.

1) Warm service from local staff, they understand us completely when we request for different things. Not much of a language barrier. Always ready to smile and help us out and to go that extra mile to satisfy our needs and wants.

2) I was worried that Toto (my dog) might pee/poo outside at the hotel lobby because we had to wait 30 minutes for the room to be ready. We reached at 3pm sharp but they said they needed 30 more minutes to clean up the room. My husband and I were fine waiting but I am very worried that Toto might just pee somewhere. So, in the end, after the 30 minutes wait and they can't deliver the Garden Suite...guess what - they bumped us up to the Sentosa Suite (a bigger room, facing the sea).

3) Always things to do - many couples that went for staycations in Sentosa i.e. RWS, Amara Sanctuary etc. complain that aside from going around the Aquarium and beach etc. it was quite boring. I stayed in Amara Sanctuary four years back and had the same experience. In the end, we drove out of Sentosa to get a massage and dinner! But, it was definitely not the case for Capella. We and our dog were really busy...we went to the beach and had a lot of cosy time in the room..taking long bath (yes all of us took turns). We went to The Library - a nice living room that has complementary snacks and drinks and a nice environment to read.

4) Food - I really strongly recommend the Char Siew Pau with Truffle Oil at Cassia Restaurant and the pork and century egg porridge. These two items coupled with a nice pot of Chrysanthemum tea costs only less than $20 if you use your HSBC credit card that gives you a 15% discount. In contrast, I find that The Knolls was slightly more disappointing - it is fine dining but I only find a few dishes that was really nice - The Foie Gras with Prawn, the Lobster Bisque and the dessert.

5) The environment - it is as what they said in the welcome card - a nice, tropical vacation. It is just a nice and quiet place to recharge.

Is it worth every penny? Yes, it is! Especially when I can be with my husband and dog on a vacation. Money can't always buy this luxury. There are only four hotels in Singapore that allow pets.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at Capella Singapore.

Set on 30-acres of land, with Palawan Beach right at our backdoor, we certainly have a beautifully tranquil environment with plenty of activities to offer our guests. I am happy the room was much to your liking and you were able to relax in The Library and explore the restaurants. Cassia is a lovely restaurant and it’s wonderful to read about how much you enjoyed it. The Char Siew Pau with Kurobuta Pork and Black Truffle is truly one of the best pork buns in Singapore! Please accept my sincere apologies for your dining experience at The Knolls. I will definitely pass along your feedback to ensure we improve on this.

Once again thank you for sharing your experience and I hope you will be back to Capella Singapore again soon.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Had a 3D2N staycation here end April 2013. Wanted a peaceful, pool-and-spa weekend getaway without having to spend hrs at airports to fly to a regional resort. Capella is pricey but considering most hotels on Sentosa are highly priced anyway, decided to take a chance on this bec of previous reviews here and the fact there was a very good discount deal on hotels.com. And it was worth it. The room was luxurious, ambience extremely peaceful and green, service was for most part excellent, and the Auriga spa is by far one of the best spas I have ever visited. Oh, and it has also three gorgeous pools amid serene greenery which was thankfully relatively empty during my entire stay.

My premium seaview room was like a deluxe junior suite complete with balcony and boasts great views including a giant heritage tree, parts of Palawan beach and industrious container ships lining the horizon. Service staff took effort to remember your name and those like Theresa took the initiative to take photos for guests (esp the solo ones), while porter Rasu was kind enough to buggy me all the way to Suite A just because I want to be at the best spot to catch a Singapore sunset. There's personal assistants too that will contact you before your trip to check on your wants and needs, including booking tickets to key attractions such as the new S.E.A. Aquarium. As for the spa, it's grand as the rooms are spacious and the attentive staff make sure you are in total comfort instead of rushing you to do anything. The facilities are also extremely comprehensive - besides spacious treatment rooms, prep areas, there's also a herbal sauna, state-of-the-art hot and cold showers, and a jacuzzi-pressure tap pool that are free to use as long as you book a treatment there. Extra hotel perks include a totally complimentary mini bar (alas no alcohol!), free high tea at the Library from 3-5pm with port served after 6.30pm, free Wi-Fi (but if you have a local data plan, that will be more reliable really) and ice cold bottled water and mini mocktails served to you at the pools.

Are there faults? Of course. The rooms it turn out may not be as sound proof as first thought. On my last night, the next room had a party going on and you could hear every word on the balcony and even in the room when the TV was on and with the blinds down! The designer taps for the sink were also rather hard to turn on and off. The slope leading to the hotel is long and steep so its advisable to take a cab to get there. If you intend to visit attractions during your stay, there are shuttles in the morning to Resorts World or you can call for a buggy to bring you down the slope (thereafter you will have to walk quite a distance to the bus and train stops).

But all in all, a truly good and enjoyable experience. Definitely a place I would consider coming back to.

Room Tip: I would recommend a seaview room. Even when it's stormy, the "panaoramic" view offered...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the wonderful things you wrote about the staff, the hotel and its facilities.

You are right, our Premier Rooms are the largest in their category in Singapore. Furthermore, each room has spectacular views of the lush greenery of Sentosa or the South China Sea, each with its own balcony. I am pleased to learn about the great service accorded to you by our staff, simple things like recognising each guest by name and finding out specific preferences are just our way of trying to create that unique and memorable Capella Experience.

It is wonderful that you were able to enjoy some of the hotel facilities such as The Library and, the award-winning Auriga spa, which is definitely one of the best spas in Singapore.

I do apologise for the disturbances you heard from the neighbouring rooms. Please be assured that we do have very strict policies about noise level in the rooms as we understand that our guest value privacy.

Once again, I am happy that you enjoyed your experience with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to Capella Singapore.

Singapore, null, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This was our second stay at the Capella in 6 months. It is a great getaway from the hustle and bustle of Singapore. It is a beautiful property with an assortment of rooms and villas nestled atop a hill overlooking the sea set amidst lush greenery. We stayed in a premier room which was very spacious and had everything you could ask for. There was a large dressing area, rain water shower, bathtub, balcony with day bed. The room has a nespresso machine and Gryphon tea bags. There is a resident peacock which struts around the premises as well as lots of interesting birds flying around.There are three lovely tiered swimming pools on this property. One was a lap pool for proper swimming. A nice touch the last time I went (but not this time) was staff that came around with ice-cream balls whilst we in the pool. However when my kids wanted more than one, he declined which I thought was in very poor taste. From the pool, you can make your way down a path which leads to the Palawan beach lagoon area. If you are feeling peckish, there is the Library where you can get tea coffee and fruits & cookies around the clock. The spa is fantastic although I wasn't too impressed with my particular massage. Everything was pretty much perfect except there was something lacking in the service. In my view, there was no genuine warmth from the staff which sets this apart from other top hotels I've stayed at around the world. At times, communication was a bit of a problem as the housekeeping staff couldn't speak English. Still, overall it is an amazing escape from the city and you will leave this place feeling relaxed and recharged.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
You have described the various aspects of our hotel well, with vivid descriptions of our spacious rooms and amenities to our colourful and exotic flora and fauna.

Please accept my sincere apologies about your experience by the poolside. I assure you we will look into this matter to ensure it does not happen again. It is disappointing to hear the feedback about the service provided by our staff. We have had lovely compliments about the warmth and genuity our staff exude.

I do hope to welcome you back and have the opportunity to serve you again.

Capella Singapore

Been to Capella Singapore? Share your experiences!