“You could be anywhere in the World.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Capella Singapore

You added Capella Singapore to your Saves list
Capella Singapore
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 The Knolls, Sentosa Island, Sentosa Island 098297, Singapore   |
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Sentosa Island
Singapore
“You could be anywhere in the World.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My plans for an overseas March Vacation got smashed by various unforseen reasons. Adamant to get away for a short break, I was debating between a 2-night stay in the W (for Starwood reasons) or the Capella (thanks to the wonderful reviews on this site). I decided on the Capella because of its huge room size advantage. The constellation room - they only have 4 - was not available, so the kind lady on the phone suggested I take the Garden Villa, which comes with a private plunge pool and is larger than, but costs the same as the Constellation Room. Taking a leap of faith, I booked the Garden Villa for two nights with breakfast, the 'Capella Bed and Breakfast Experience'.
Drove to Sentosa on a Monday evening and was greeted at the reception by three very polite staff. Check-in was smooth and they offered suggestions for dinner, both in and out of the hotel and even delivered the restaurant menus to our villa so we could decide. A short buggy ride to our villa then a briefing on the room controls and amenities. Very concise indeed.
The room was divided into a living space - with complimentary drinks, fruit, a lounger, two plush chairs and a long working desktop with plugs and two international adapters. Not to mention the 55" TV and a Bose music sound system which was also in the bedroom. The bedroom had a king-sized bed, remote controls for lighting, aircon and blinds/curtains at the bedside, the TV and sound system and a rather nice fuzzy carpet. Next was the bath/vanity with two separate glass cubicles for shower and toilet, two vanities, and a really fuzzy stool in between. Oh, no that's not all. There's an outdoor rain shower AND a bath. Who can forget the plunge pool, about 3x3m pleasingly green tiled, with two pool decks along the terrace.
Very beautiful, nice zen-like colours and peaceful. We decided on the Knolls restaurant for dinner that night - Mediterranean fare, which was quite tasty. Service was prompt and polite. Daily buffet breakfast is served from 7am to 11am, with a decent variety of local and western fare. It wasn't the largest buffet, but the food was decent. Needless to say, the wait staff were polite and ever ready to help and offer dishes that were available within the buffet, but not on display. I loved the timing of breakfast because I'm not a 'breakfast person' but my room-mate was, so we managed to have a compromise with brunch/lunch/breakfast at about 10am, where other hotel buffets would have ended.
There are three pools in the Capella - two free-from ones just outside the Knolls restaurant, one level above the other, and on the third landing below, a adults-only lap pool. When we ventured out to the pools in the early afternoon, there was hardly anyone around. We had the adult pool all to ourselves, with towels available on each pool chair. Of course, one of the staff came around with cold white chocolates with coconut filling, while we were lazing in the pool. INCREDIBLE. I've half a mind to write to them to ask to buy a box of them :)
We walked over to the fitness centre, which wasn't large but was well equip with machinery of all shapes and sizes, and decided to skip out on the Spa because of my room-mates intolerance to massages.
I loved that Capella provided a map of the grounds with suggested jogging routes and locations of special 'Singapore' trees within the hotel. It almost seemed like we could have been anywhere in the world (with the same heat and humidity..) with the semi-isolated feel of the hotel and the beautiful landscaping. Only two issues with the stay - first, it was a short but rather dark walk from the garden villas to the restaurant, perhaps a bit of lantern lighting would make it safer. Second, there were a few sand-flies bugging about, which reminded me of my school-days.. There aren't enough to even begin to spoil the trip, but I'd suggest bug-spray or insect repellant, especially if traveling with children and staying in the villas. I doubt there would be the same problem in the main hotel block. Capella also provides extra passes in and out of Sentosa and complimentary parking coupons.
Check out was a breeze too, and everyone was as polite as could be. Thanks Capella! It was expensive but it was worth it :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
sandyliw, Director of Sales and Marketing at Capella Singapore, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this very lovely detailed review on Capella Singapore on Tripadvisor. I am so pleased to read about how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I believe your review sums up a great deal of what we offer and have in store for our guests – luxurious exclusivity with convenience and comfort.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay in our One Bedroom Garden Villa. The villas are absolutely perfect for those seeking tranquility and relaxation from the hustle and bustle of the city. I especially love the fact that they all feature their very own outdoor plunge pools!

With regards to you comment about lighting the path from the villas to the restaurants, it is definitely something we are looking into as the safety of our guests is a priority for us.

Once again, thank you for your words of praise. I hope you will be back to stay with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife and I came back to Capella in March. We often stay in the best hotels around the world and this hotel is probably one of the best of the best. Everything about this hotel was perfection. The location with a view over the busy Singapore bay and ships. Beautiful rooms with large windows and views. Outstanding and highly professional service. Terrific food. We could not find anything wrong and looking forward to going back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
sandyliw, Director of Sales & Marketing at Capella Singapore, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your continued support. I am thrilled that you consider Capella Singapore as one of the best hotels in the world. We definitely do our best to make everything perfect for all our guests. At Capella Singapore we have the luxury of 30 acres of lush natural greenery while being only minutes from tie vibrant city. Our rooms are the largest in Singapore with stunning views of the South China Sea and tropical gardens.

I am so pleased that our staff were great hosts to you and you enjoyed every bit of our stay with us from the food to the rooms and environment. I am looking forward to having you back at Capella Singapore again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

The garden villa was fantastic. I took a cab from vivo city and within minutes I arrived at the lobby. The lobby was impressive with modern decor and the surrounding with greenery gives me a sense of calmness. You can inform the staff where you stay and they will arrange a buggy to send you to your destinations. I was looking forward to my villa and i was certainly not disappointed. When I first enter, my 'jaw' almost drop to the floor and I struck awed by the view present right before my eyes. It was a luxury villa with modern decor mixed with resort style and the surrounding was all greenery and foliage. There is a plunge pool just right outside the bedroom with a indoor and outdoor shower. Lack of privacy is certainly not an issue. The space were well appointed. You can spent whole day in your villa without feeling bored. Service were excellent. An ideal place for honeymooner.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review on Tripadvisor for us. You have indeed captured one of the most special aspects about Capella Singapore – a tranquil and serene resort surrounded by natural tropical greenery, only minutes away from the bustling Singapore city.

I am glad that you enjoyed your villa – our villas are definitely a favourite option for many guests because it presents perfect exclusivity, with modern finishings and a private plunge pool.
Thank you again for your recommendation and I hope you will be back at Capella Singapore again soon.

henfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The hotel is lovely. The room was beautiful. Control panel, granite bathroom - very modern with an outside bathroom. The lounge area was very modern and lovely and clean. As for the outside area, the plunge pool was great - shame you had to stand on the wall to see the south china sea!

The chinese restaurant was brilliant and we ate there both nights. Shame the wine was so expensive like the rest of Singapore.

The pool area were lovely with attentive staff. Great beds.

Would definately stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for this lovely review on Tripadvisor, I am so thrilled to read about how much you enjoyed your stay with us. At Capella Singapore we do our best to make each stay for our guest unique and memorable – and much of this comes in the little details which you have mentioned such as the touch screen control panel by the bedside, the complimentary facilities in the room and even the comfortable beds. Unlike our Premier Seaview Rooms and Suites which are on a higher level and offer clear views of the South China Sea, our villas are designed to give our guests the luxury of tranquil privacy. I am happy that you enjoyed dining at Cassia our Chinese restaurant and the team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back to Capella Singapore on your next visit.

Asia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Love all the staff there, they serve with passion and pride. They even go the extra mile in taking care of their guests and their warm and friendly smiles just touches your heart. Great hotel and people, love it.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave these kind words about our team on Tripadvisor. I am so happy to learn about the marvelous experience you had with all our staff and how they went the extra mile to make you feel comfortable. At Capella Singapore, our staff are definitely our most valuable assets and I am thrilled that you enjoyed your time with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Capella Singapore again soon.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

It was an impressive stay for me and family.

First arrival, we were amazed waited on their lobby lounge
Meticulous room details from layout to high-tech room control panel to luxurious granite..I love it.
Especially the outdoor retreat area for us to mingle and enjoy the outdoor chat.

The bed, I enjoyed so much with the mattress quality, room size quite enough for two jolies or even with extra two kids.

They did well in developing the masterplan, blending between Front Colonial building and Modern building with serene garden lush.

Breakfast was our favorite place to hang out watching the peacock birds walking around waited to be fed by us...

The food selections need to be improvise and need to rotate the varieties.
the pool has two layers from closest to the dining area or more private and less noise area.

The resort was meant to be enjoy inside the vicinity, like other exclusive resorts...

Speaking about Convenience, Well, its right on top of the hill and no access without a cab.
It's a walking distance to Universal yet quite exhaustive going uphill with family.

Why i only gave 4 star ratings?
Paying for ocean view with free extra goodies: seeing oil refinery and dozens of large cargo fleets. It was a turn off if you are on a date or taking the kids to enjoy the sandy beach...
It wasn't Capella's fault, it's the island itself.

I recommend you honeymooners, cosmo travelers, and even families.

Room Tip: Paying for ocean view with free extra goodies: seeing oil refinery and dozens of large cargo fleets...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time share you experience of Capella Singapore on Tripadvisor. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the wonderful time you and your family spent at the hotel. At Capella, we aim to provide all our guests with only the best, be it in the rooms, service, food and even the little details such as the hotel’s finishings.

I am happy that you were able to meet our lovely peacocks on the grounds as well. I do agree, having them around during breakfast makes the experience all the more pleasurable.
I actually personally enjoy watching the ships sail by at night, as they look like twinkling stars on a dark velvet sky.

Thank you again for your kind words and for your review. I hope to be able to welcome you back to Capella Singapore again.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Great hotel. Wonderful iibrary in a 200 year old building, beautiful shaded tropical pools, innovative restaurants. Great service. One of the leading boutique hotels featured in the well known guide- Leading Small Hotels of the World. Loved our stay there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for all your kind words and this review on Tripadvisor. Our two colonial buildings which house our lobby, The Library as well as our Chinese restaurant, Cassia were built in the 1880s and artfully restored by master architect, Lord Norman Foster. They are definitely one of the distinctive features of Capella Singapore.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, from the three cascading pools to the restaurants and were happy with the service provided by our staff. I look forward to welcoming you back to Capella Singapore again.

Capella Singapore

Been to Capella Singapore? Share your experiences!