“Overrated” 3 of 5 stars

Maple, Ontario, Canada
“Overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

PROPERTY/ ROOMS
The property is rather clean and manicured. We reserved two de luxe rooms that were adjoining so it was quiet convenient. The rooms have a native/bohemian flare and are clean and spacious.

RESTAURANT/ FOOD/ SERVICE
The restaurant and bar looks like it has been renovated and has a modern twist compared to the rooms. Their two page menu does not offer much options and their portions are quiet small for what you pay for. We were sick of the food by the second day. When we ordered a meal for lunch or dinner we would be waiting between 30 minutes to an hour; which I think is unacceptable when the resort was not even full (only 10 huts were vacant). The waiters and waitresses are not very pleasant. They take your order, bring your food to your table and then disappear. On our last days we gave out tips to the ones that served us throughout our stay even though I felt it wasn't deserved and as soon as we did that we got smiles, "hellos", "how are yous" and exceptional service. The only ones that were courteous to us were the receptionists.

BEACH AND POOL
The beach, restaurant and rooms are not conveniently located to each other so you get quiet a workout walking and climbing stairs. The pool was dirty with leaves floating in the water and sand on the bottom. The beach was nice and private. The sand is rough with shells and rocks. The color of the water was beautiful. It's quiet amazing to see an array of beautiful colored fish. They charged for all the sports activities and the excursions were super expensive; be prepared to spend over $200 us per person.

SPA
My family and I used their spa services at least 3 times. I personally had a full body massage and the cucumber and yoghurt wrap. The massage was relaxing. The wrap mixture helped relieve my sunburn but when they wrapped me they used a tarp (tarp that you would use for camping). I did not feel papered from that point on.

My family and I stayed for 5 nights. Overall I think this resort was overly priced for what you get and overrated. Would not return and would not recommend this to anyone. There are so many more islands and resorts in the Philippines that have exceptional service, with a phenomenal beach and awesome food.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with a big group and want to stay together ask for adjoining rooms. Also, t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Polish first
Cebu City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed only at this resort for day and I find it...good. Ideal for vacationers and honeymooners. The place is peaceful, away from busy and noisy city. There's a shuttle
transportation from Cebu City to ferry you back and forth. Be sure to book in advance as it is
always fully booked especially during summer. Everthing is ok. You can also use your credit card if you wish which is convenient for travelers....the fact that it is quite far from the city. It will take you one hour and a half from Mactan Intl. Airport to this resort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Timaru, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My wife and I were driving around the area and decided to stop for a drink and refreshments and have a look around.Security guard at entrance gate was curtious and helpful. Grounds large and at first glance appeared to require a bit more TLC No one in reception when we arrived but later a young lady arrived and was very helpful. Souvineer shop close by but nobody in attendance. Inner pool area and gardens beautiful. Restaurant and service very good. We were alone in the restaurant and enjoyed the cool environment and magnificent view. The area outside the hotel grounds is very busy with many homes close by. Not many guests here so if you want a very very quiet time away and be very very private this is the place

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Quezon city
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

having read so many positive and good reviews about this resort, i was so excited to experience this resort...at first things started ok.. we were picked up on time at the henry in cebu city, the staff at the reception were gracious and let us check in early.. the restaurant was modern and chic...but slowly things got disappointing..here's why:

- i added 2000pesos per night to get the oceanview room but later noticed that all the room looked exactly the same! the oceanview is not worth it! our canaba 2 (very old room that even has an old tv and noisy ref..plus the bed was so freaking creaky! ) had a small ugly ledge that disturbs the view..better just get the deluxe rooms.

- my daughter wanted to go snorkling so we inquired abt the equipment at the aqua center..we were shocked to find out that LIFE VESTS COSTS 250PESOS A DAY!!!! unbelievable!!! we have travelled all over the philippines and this is THE FIRST TIME that we have encountered a so called luxury resort renting out their life vest!! i can understand renting out snorkeling gears but life vests??? absured!!! it seems safety has a price here (and mind you the beach isnt really shallow) Note: they do have life guards but personal safety is still important

- the water in the beach isnt really clear.. we had a hard time snorkeling coz the water was too cloudy.. even at the deeper parts.. the beach is not clear and pristine as said..

it seems that their "promos" are affecting and limiting the level of service and inclusions..

there are still other things that i can ignore but i will never get over the LIFE VEST FOR RENT THING..safety should always be the first priority of any resort or establishment.

the only thing stopping me from giving a poor rating is the resort staff.. all the staff were helpful and efficient.

Room Tip: all the rooms are the same thing..
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

What a lovely resort, as we arrived we were met at the door and helped with our luggage, in reception, we were given a welcome drink, all went smooth...
The room was first class, very large bedroom and huge bathroom with bathtub and separate shower.
We had BBQ dinner on the white sand beach, very romantic.
Large swimming pool with lots of loungers,
One criticism was same as another review here, I emailed for information one week in advance of arrival and never got a reply, (management please note).

Would I return? 100% yes.

Room Tip: Be specific about the bed you require, single bed or twin.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Wimborne, Dorset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stay here whenever I visit our supplier in Cebu. I've stayed 3 times now and it just gets better and better.
They are renovating all the time and it really has got better and better over the years.
What hasn't got better is the courtesy of the staff - because honestly that just couldn't be bettered.
Always a smile, always want to help.
The spa is much better now - it's not Champneys but you wouldn want it to be. This is a friendly resort. It hasn't disappeared up it's own ...... But don't let that fool you - it's beautiful and you not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view - if you want to splash out a bit more go for the rooms at the very front. The...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Alegre a couple nights the first week in Oct. It was great overall with a few minor things, and since I read all of the reviews before going, I thought I should share our experience.

Airport transfer - It was great and smooth! My only critique is that I emailed the resort to set up the transfer a day or so before departure and they never replied to my email, so I was nervous that no one would be there. But sure enough we had a ride and it was great, our driver even made a stop for us so we could pick up a drink and some sunscreen since we forgot to pack ours.

Resort overall - Really beautiful, the grounds are great with lovely flower displays all around.

Rooms - really nice and plenty of space, and the bathrooms were nice and large. My only critique here is that we requested a King room and got a room with 2 Doubles and our AC was kinda noisy, but all of that was easily forgotten when we were relaxing on the beach

Beach - It's good, lots of loungers and you never have to compete for a chair. There is a stunning large magnolia tree growing on the beach that is great for shade. The beach is a bit rocky, you have to be careful going in. But this means that its nice snorkeling right off the beach. They have gear there you can use and we just went out on our own right off the beach, but we saw other guests that were really into snorkeling go out with a staff member past the ropes to see more.

Food - Better than expected! Everything we had was great! Only downside was the main restaurant area was closed for construction during our stay. On the upside looks like it will be quite lovely for future guests.

I'd go back in a heartbeat and wish we had stayed longer, as we left here and went to the Crimson Resort on Mactan - Horrible, what a huge mistake, we were wishing we were back at Alegre the entire time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Alegre Beach Resort? Share your experiences!