“I will never stay there again!” 2 of 5 stars

The Maxwell Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   N. Escario St. | Barangay Camputhaw, 6000, Philippines   |
Ranked #122 of 190 Hotels in Cebu Island
International
“I will never stay there again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I read the reviews and I knew it was a budget hotel. I was okay with that. The internet didn't work when I was there but the staff informed me before I arrived which was okay. The staff was not the friendliest but they were not rude either. When I saw the room, it's pretty much what I expected. The rooms need to be upgraded. The room was somewhat clean. The bathroom needed to be seriously updated and the shower fixtures needed some CLR. I was okay with the hotel until I went to breakfast. You have to walk outside to get to it. That wasn't the problem. Our food was served one at a time and trying to wait for everyone meant our food got cold. Then I saw a mouse and I saw a cockroach. It made me sick to my stomach. If you want a great place to stay for around the same price I would recommend staying at another hotel. I tranferred to the Rajah Park Hotel and it was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Korean first
Sandwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Stayed here a couple of nights in a suite, overall a very pleasant experience, no complaints about the bedding, air conditioning was great, internet worked well as did the television and cable channels, the room was quite clean as was the rest of the building, Hard to pick any faults with the place I don't whinge like some of the other reviewers, paying budget and expecting the ritz. Location isn't fantastic but I found things to do around the place, luckily taxis are cheap, The Hot chocolate is... bad.. but really who cares.. it was well priced, comfortable and I enjoyed my time there. :)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Marikina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Our group stayed at the Maxwell Hotel along N. Escario St., Cebu City during my first visit in the Queen City of the South.

It’s a fairly new hotel and one of the cleanest I stayed on in my trips to different parts of the country. It is a simple but elegant looking hotel with cable TV, WiFi access, and efficient and service-oriented staff. We have eaten breakfast at their hotel restaurant for three days and were satisfied with their food. I loved their chorizo, Cebu’s version of longganisa, and I was very delighted when we were able to order kilos of it from the restaurant staff to bring back home to Manila.

Maxwell was in the middle of the city and from there, it was easy to travel to other destinations like to our seminar venue, the Cebu Normal College. In front of the hotel, you can already ride a jeepney or taxi to bring you in other parts of Cebu.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there for the weekend and I can say you get your money's worth here.

Pros:
- price
- rooms were of okay size
- location
- spa in the building
- relatively clean bathroom with H & C shower.
- large parking area

Cons:
- rooms weren't sound proof whether your inside or out, you can hear sounds from opposite ends
- small tv 21"

Overall, it's a good place to stay especially for the budget conscious. Considering the location, public transport is readily available. A convenience store is located in the vicinity and a fast food chain across the street.

• Stayed January 2012
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

when my first visit cebu was there at Maxwell hotel , all great there , room , food , staff , all so kind fast to help and right away answer what i need , what i like realy there its very very clean and smell so good everywhere , managar and OWNER so nice peoples , also there are small store inside , i bought there always what i need . like load to my cell phone , cigarettes , and talk with nice staff and even owner she so nice lady , as well there are SPA , manged by very elegant young lady , she made my stay there so nice and always offer me hot tea , no wonder the peoples there in cebu they are the best .

Room Tip: all rooms are great
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Noneofyourbusiness
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

I usually like to try different hotels and I really wanted to check this place out due to the high number of good reviews. Of course there is some doubt in my mind about the place due to the fact that it seemed pretty far from a lot good spots to tour around and the nearest mall was (I estimated) 20-30 minutes away. I booked a flight that mainly was a waiting game (lay over was 14 hours and I refused to pay to exchange my money over at Incheon) so I was happily imagining a good big breakfast of Filipino food. I was to be very much mistaken. I would definitely and gladly describe the many short comings the hotel showed me in my stay.

1. Location: Not in the heart of Cebu at all
You're pretty much in the middle of the mess of it all. The location is far from SM Cebu and the closest mall would have to be Ayala Mall. The amount of time it would take to get there depends on the traffic and I would have to say the location is pretty much a clogged artery; its jam packed during the day and the night. There will be some taxi drivers that will not be familiar with the hotel. If you notice that they are having doubts at where this hotel is just mention that its near a shell station and a McDonalds near "Harold's" (another hotel which looks much more inviting and safer). Time it took me to pick up my girlfriend to go to the airport (left at 6 pm) took 40 minutes. The return trip took roughly an hour due to the extremely clogged and rude drivers. If you arrive around midnight expect the streets to be a lot more cleared up so the trip would take 20 minutes. Overall, the location is quite shady enough as it is.

2. Food: Where's the food???
My biggest complaint came with the food. The breakfast was served in a restaurant that was attached to the front of the hotel. I don't quite remember the name of it simply because it was not worth remembering. I had the wrong impression that the place had a buffet for breakfast. THIS IS NOT TRUE I REPEAT NOT TRUE! What they do have is a restaurant with substandard service. The process in which you get it is first getting tickets/coupons in the front desk which will give you the free breakfast. Needless to say one coupon is one plate for breakfast. You ORDER it. You get to select from two columns in the menu pick one column. It is not a buffet. After the meal that's it. You used up the coupon. You wanna eat more? Too bad. Lucky there's a McDonalds nearby. The amount of food you get is quite few so if you came from a long wait like me you're still ravenous after eating or even feel hungrier than before.

Here's another big complaint I had: room service. I placed it here because it involves food. When I picked up my girlfriend she was tired from the trip and the traffic coming back from the airport. Prior to picking her up I promptly asked the front desk "Will the restaurant be open when I get back?". He promptly replies "No it will not". I then asked "Is there going to be any room service for food available when I get back" and he replied "Yes there will be". However when we got back both hungry and tired he told me that there was a party in the bar next door and because of that there would be no room service for food. I was FURIOUS! I was forced then to go to the McDonalds across the street to get her something to eat. We both were looking forward to eating real Filipino food again but no the hotel wanted to only serve a private party of less than 15 people rather than SERVE THE 4 FLOORS OF PEOPLE IN THEIR HOTEL. Tell me now how much of that makes sense? Is the cook partying as well?

2. Small charges for what should have been free
Another thing I had a problem with was this. Small charges which other hotels don't charge for you. The hotel only gives you three towels. I personally use one to put on the floor so that I don't slip on the bathroom when I get out of the shower. However, I requested an extra towel just so that I can put another one near the place where I brush my teeth. Upon making the request from house keeping I was given a purple tower and a bill for 20 pesos. I immediately refused this. On my other trips to other hotels I requested for clean extra towels and never was charged like this. Also (I've never tried this one) if you wanted coffee the front desk will charge you 20 pesos for coffee. I personally wondered if this was also referring to getting extra coffee in your room but I never wanted to try it so if you want to do it do so in your at your own risk.

3. Sleep depriving beds
Lumpy is a good way to put it at best. I'm referring to both the bed and the pillows. The pillows are cotton filled so its difficult to punch it into a more comfortable shape. They make your head tilt in an odd position that when you wake up you get a weird crick in the neck. From the way the beds are I would say they are spring mattresses that got a bit old. Rather uncomfortable and unwelcoming. We were glad to get out of the place.

Afterthoughts:
Some things I would have to give it some credit for. The food is actually fairly priced. Prior to picking up my girlfriend I had ordered room service for a club sandwich for a good price. For the price of the hotel I would have to say I was robbed. For the same price you could stay in Bella Vista, a hotel much closer to the airport and the malls, or Alpa Suites and Hotel, which has an excellent breakfast buffet and much better accommodations such as a small kitchen and microwave (I didn't book here because the price went up due to the Christmas season). Another probable place to be in would be in the Crown Regency Residences which was $35 a night (the major downside for this place is that the location is far from everywhere). I would not recommend anyone staying in this place unless someone forced you to or you lost a badly made bet. Harold's is a newly opened hotel which looks quite inviting and I think you'd stand a better chance getting through the night if you checked in somewhere else.

Stayed in room 414

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Quezon City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

I visited Maxwell last week of October 2011 and they already offer coffee through the front desk after midnight.

Thanks!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Maxwell Hotel? Share your experiences!