“Convenient and Accomodating” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 132 Hotels in Boracay
Makati, Rizal, Philippines
“Convenient and Accomodating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I've read up on reviews of Microtel Boracay prior to my trip and was expecting average service and experience. This was due to the following highlighted items by most reviewers: location and accessibility.

Some intro tidbits
We were welcomed by a Microtel staff from Caticlan Port (Kuya Dante). He was very alert and quick on his feet. He made the first part of our journey to Boracay so easy by carrying all our stuff and never making us wait for more than 5 minutes. Everything was a breeze from Caticlan Port. Upon arriving at Boracay Island, we took a 15 minute shuttle ride to the hotel. I've been to Boracay before and was able to identify that Microtel was indeed a tad bit far away from the Boracay hustle and bustle. We were welcomed by Security Guards of the hotel who were nice enough to open the doors for us. At the reception, we were given shell necklaces and a glass of iced tea slush for welcome drinks. We weren't able to check in immediately though since we came a little earlier than expected and the room wasn't ready yet.

The Room
We got the suite facing the pool. I'd be bold in saying that it was the best room in the hotel given its size and accessibility to the beach,pool,and restaurant. I wouldn't consider staying in any other room in Microtel should we decide to come back next year. The room was large enough to fit the 4 of us. My mom and cousin had to sleep on the sofa bed. We initially thought that the sofa bed wouldn't be big enough for the two of them given the size of my mother and well, it was just a sofa bed. But it was nice to see that the sofa bed was actually a queen size bed. The room had its own microwave and fridge. Perfect for my mom who was too lazy to go out and too stingy to eat out. The toilet was regular. It had the necessities. Nothing fantastic. Although, if someone from Microtel is reading this, I would suggest doing some intense cleaning on the the bath tub. There were mat markings on the tub that weren't too nice to see and definitely uninviting. But again, for the price we're paying, a dirty tub is last on our mind. For the room, compared with its rate, I'd give it 4/5.

The Service
There are a lot of aspects of the service that I'd like to comment on:
1.) Transportation
- As I've said on the first part of the review, Kuya Dante has set the tone of how transportation service of Microtel is run. And boy are we satisfied with it. They have these shuttle services going to and from D'Mall every 40 minutes. In order to get the time you want, you need to schedule your service at least 20 minutes prior to your chosen time. We did exactly as told and found it very convenient to move around Boracay. Contrary to comments about the shuttle trip taking 20 mins, my timer only clocked in 10-15 minutes at most. Perhaps the time of day and season has something to do with it but I think Boracay is less crowded in November than it is on April. So that could affect travel time. I'd also like to comment on how the shuttle service is NEVER a second later than the expected time. It would however be earlier than expected. But we never had a problem with catching the shuttle service since we were very compliant with the expected pick up times. 5/5

2.)Restaurant
- The restaurant staff are very warm and personable. They are also quick on their feet and take the time to familiarize with their guests. I'd like to make special mention of the restaurant staff we got to know closely during our trip: Miel, Febe, and Pearl. 4/5

3.) Hotel
- We got daily upkeep of our room which is very important for me. I like things kept clean and in order even on holiday. They were also very generous in lending us beach towels. The male staff and guards are also very accommodating to guests who request for beach beds right on the beach. The male staff would have to carry the beach beds from the pool to the beach everytime they guest would need it. I also like how the guards extend their duty beyond ensuring our security. They are also in charge of making sure guests who schedule their trips are fetched from their rooms or somewhere on the beach when it's time to go. 4/5

Overall: 4.5/5

Room Tip: get the suite room on the first floor (101/102). These are the rooms facing the pool.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We weren't sure we would like Boracay at all - not being keen on big, busy tourist areas. But the Microtel was great - Diniwid Beach is perfect with only a handful of small hotels and great swimming. The hotel is excellent value for the money, nice room, very comfortable beds, good food, super-friendly staff. And it you want it, the north end of White Beach is less than 10 minutes walk away. We chose to stay longer than we originally planned!

Room Tip: Try to avoid even-numbered rooms 20 or higher - there are roosters that live next door and the rooms...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
microtel-boracay, Resident Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Boracay, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for taking your time to share here in TripAdvisor your recent experience with us. Our team is happy to hear that you appreciate the privacy and value of our location in Diniwid Beach. We are grateful that you chose to extend your 4-nights stay with us and thank you for your over-all perfect ratings.

We look forward to welcoming you and your guest back in Microtel Boracay!
Mandaluyong, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I like the fact that they allowed early check-in. Breakfast was decent. Bathroom needs some improvement. This is one place where you get what you paid for--but probably a notch higher than those resort/hotels at the main area on the same price category.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
microtel-boracay, Resident Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Boracay, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Our team appreciates a honest review and high recommendation from TripAdvisor's Senior Reviewer like yourself. Your feedback is valuable to us in creating an enjoyable experience for each of our guests.

We know you have a choice in hotels and we are delighted that you chose ours. We hope to see you again in Microtel Boracay!
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at Microtel last month and boy did we made a great choice. Its cheap and they have a very comfortable beds with soft linen. I didnt expect much for this place considering the price that we paid for. But the place is just around the corner to station 1, with less than 5 min walk over the cliff you'll be paying double the amount for the hotels. In my opinion Microtel is a bargain!
It's true that it's far from Station 2 but if you're planning to go to boracay for a nice relaxing vacation you wouldn't want to stay in Station 2.
We get free breakfast every morning the serving is small but it's enough to satisfy us. Nothing really special in the menu and again it didn't bother us since we were always out. We enjoyed the happy hour and the beach at sunset. Wifi connection was fantastic I was able to make bookings for our other trips after Boracay.
The only improvement I think that they need to address is the free shuttle to station 2. There were one occation that the shuttle was late and we were left waiting way too long. But on the other hand we were running late at one point and to our surprise they waited for us ... hehehe
By the way going to the entrance of Microtel i've noticed the locals tend to hang around playing billiards and it's nice to see the security of Microtel monitoring the area. I felt safe seeing them specially coming home late at night.
I highly recommend this hotel to my friends and family and would definately come back in the future. I just hope that it will stay cheap :)

Room Tip: I dont think it matters which room you stay because you will out most of the time
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
microtel-boracay, Resident Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Boracay, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Our team is happy to hear that you enjoyed the value and comfort of your recent stay with us, and that you appreciated the service we provide for the convenience and safety of our guests. We have noted your comments regarding our shuttle schedule and it will be addressed accordingly. We are grateful that you chose us and we truly appreciate your high ratings.

Thank you again for taking time to post your review. We look forward to welcoming you and your guests in Microtel Boracay!
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel really needs renovations, the location is average and the rooms are very badly dated and smell of mould, they are also very small and the air-conditioning is loud when it is working.

The breakfast is set so you do not get to choose what to eat.

Boracay is a beautiful island and I loved the main beach so I think next time I will stay closer.

Room Tip: I would pay a little more and choose a hotel to the main beach
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback. We apologize that your experience was less than enjoyable. We wish we had known your concerns on our room facilities and breakfast quality earlier for us to take proper attention and immediate action. Improvements had been made the past 8-months since your last visit. We have new inverter aircon units, repainting in the rooms, concrete framing of pathway to the Hotel.

Our team appreciates your high ratings on our service. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you here in Microtel Boracay!
Taguig City, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We arrived this afternoon via Kalibo (never again). After a 2 hour long and winding drive, we were all famished & shipped to this place. Naturally, we opted to dine in the restaurant downstairs thinking it would be quick & delicious. After what seemed like an eternity (more than an hour I think), the food finally arrived. Not so great to be honest. Plus the woman at the restaurant (one of the staff) was quite cold to my hungry husband who just wanted to follow up on our orders. Will not stay here next time. The fact that they don't have high chairs here is also questionable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
microtel-boracay, Resident Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Boracay, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for taking time to post your honest review. We constantly listen to our guests' feedback in our effort to provide a great stay while in Microtel Boracay. We're sorry to hear about your husband's unfortunate encounter with the restaurant staff. Together with our restaurant management, we have already investigated your concerns and taken the appropriate corrective action. We hope that you can give us another chance to serve you.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed at the Microtel on Diniwid Beach in Borocay for 1 week. We were lucky enough to be assigned room 201, which had an incredible view overlooking the pool and out to the beach and turquoise ocean. A wonderful place to watch the world famous Borocay sunsets. The beds were very comfortable, the fridge kept our snacks and drinks cold, the AC kept the room cool, the wifi internet worked well, the TV had a number of English stations to choose. The included breakfasts, served at Mama’s Fishhouse were well prepared. The best though, was the staff: at the restaurant, Angel, Renebeth, Miel, Yhell were incredibly friendly and the service was superb. The ladies at the front desk were always helpful to arrange the shuttles into town, helped me phone the Scuba diving company I dove with, made change for me, locked our valuables in the safety deposit box and helped us access it whenever we needed to. The security guards set up beach beds and umbrellas, handed out striped beach towels and kept an eye on the place. We always felt safe and well cared for. The housekeeping staff did a wonderful job keeping our room and the public areas of the hotel very clean. To the person, everyone here had a big smile for everyone they encountered. All in all, a very friendly and professional organization. I also had 2 great massages, one at the pool and one out at the beach at sunset, by a lady named Arleen. I would highly recommend her.

Things we liked: the free shuttles into the main part of White Beach, the lovely pool, the free coffee and tea available all day, the free spring water that was available in 5 gallon water dispensers so we could refill our containers (certainly cuts down on all the plastic waste generated from small drinking water bottles,) the quiet area on Diniwid Beach (we could take the shuttle into the crowds and mass chaos of White Beach whenever we wanted, but could have peace and quiet when we wanted at our “home” beach). We had a lovely time here.

Room Tip: get an oceanview room, room 201 is best
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
microtel-boracay, Resident Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Boracay, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you very much for taking time to share and post a great review. It's our pleasure to ensure that you and your guest had a best-value experience on your week's stay with us. Our team and the ladies from Mama's Fish House are mostly grateful of your over-all perfect ratings, it is extremely valuable to us specially coming from a Senior Contributor here in TripAdvior.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back here in Microtel Boracay!

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Boracay? Share your experiences!