“Affordable accomodation with small pool area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Carmela de Boracay

Save Saved
You added La Carmela de Boracay to your Saves list
La Carmela de Boracay
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Station 2, Balabag Boracay Island | Malay Aklan, Philippines   |
Ranked #92 of 132 Hotels in Boracay
Shanghai
“Affordable accomodation with small pool area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

The room is just average, we've got the semi deluxe room and I would say, pictures are deceiving. Well, the room that we've got is in the Attic area. I think not bad for the amount that that we paid for.

The hotel itself is just enough for people looking for much cheaper or affordable hotel near beach front of station 2. The hotel itself is clean and smell good. People are also accomodating and nice. We stayed there from Sep 29-Oct 2, it's not peak season yet so we dont have much hassle in our stay. Also, they allowed us to have early check in since we arrived there so early. Good thing 1 room that we booked is free so we can leave our things there, though we are still waiting for 2 more rooms.

The room itself in the attic is just so so. I didnt expect much coz I know we just book average hotel. Enough for us to sleep and to leave things during our beach activities. The restroom has some molds and always wet since the division between shower and the bowl is just a half open glass. So everytime you took a shower, the floor is wet.

When we arrived, they offered us a free drinks and they even help us to bring our things in our room.

For breakfast, the our package just include the set meal and not bad, but of course eating similar breakfast everyday makes you sick. Though for me, its acceptable, again, I really set my low expectation.

Internet wise, no free wifi there, you have to pay for it. Connection is also weak, coz my other friend bought the 1 hr for 100 pesos. And I'll bet she had used it for just a short time coz connection is prett bad.

Their swimming pool is small only and crowded most of the time.

Well, for overall, if you are looking for an afforadable hotel in station2, try this, but if you are looking for the best one, try others:)

Room Tip: Get a room in the attic its much quiet there, but the problem is sometimes their elevator is not wor...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

if you're looking for a budget hotel stay, consider this hotel. we stayed at attic style room, big enough for 2.

when you stay here, you get what you pay for.

hotel is away from bars and happenings. when you get outside, you'll be pestered by vendors. begging for your attention even you're in the middle of relaxation! boracay should address this thing by creating a one stop shop/place for tourists who like to book their tour packages and activities.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

we stayed at la carmela last year with my officemates. we booked our 2 rooms more than a month in advance for 8 pax via agoda. Part of the agoda package was that breakfasts were included for all 8 pax for 2 days since there will be 4 pax per room. i emailed the agoda confirmation to la carmela and even spoke to them on the phone to reiterate the arrangements and bus transfers. when we got to the hotel, there was a long line at the front desk, and almost no waiting area. that was already a turn off as they didnt have the comfort of their guests in mind considering that these guests just arrived from more than 2 hours of bus trip from kalibo. when we checked in, they gave us a total of 8 breakfast stubs for the 2 days stay. when my officemate showed them the agoda confirmation form that a total of 8 stubs per day should be given, they refused and said that agoda made a mistake, that it should only be 2 breakfasts per room/ day. when i pointed out to them that i talked to somebody from la carmela to confirm everything including the bus transfer, that staff did not mention anything about the mistake on the breakfast arrangements. The front desk personnel then told me to come back later as she will call agoda to verify. after a couple of hours, i called the said staff and was advised that they will only give 8 stubs and not 16. She just insisted that it was agoda's mistake and if i would like to verify, then i will have to call agoda myself in singapore! i demanded to talk to the manager on duty and even went down to the front desk to talk to her personally. the manager on duty refused to come out of her office and instructed the front desk to tell me that she was making her rounds (this i overheard over their radio). i totally refused to budge and was ready to stay at their pathetic front desk until she comes out. after more than 10 minutes, another staff came to the front desk and frowning, handed me the 8 additional breakfast stubs which actually made me feel like i was begging for alms. as for the hotel accommodations, the rooms were basically clean, but nothing spectacular. the view from our room was just a firewall and a construction at the next lot. the food was so so, canteen or andok's food could have been much better and cheaper. pool at the front was already green, not blue. overall, i am NOT staying there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Mandaluyong, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

It's our first time in Boracay last summer and we chose station 2 area since friends advise that this is the best spot for first-timers. We searched for a affordable yet decent hotel with pool, since i travel with my 2 kids and my wife.

La Carmela is OK, with clean room and very near the beach. They have good restaurant with fair options for food. But for dinner, its best to dine outside.

Customer service is OK but don't expect 5-star treatment.

Room Tip: Any room is OK, you are here for the powdery beach, right?
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Valenzuela, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

PART 1 MANILA TO BORACAY.

My preparation for this trip was just very quick. I saw an AD from Cookie's Getaway Packages supposedly the original plan was Palawan but the flight schedule was not good for Palawan so we ended up to boracay. Thanks to Ms. Anne for arranging everything for us. THUMBS UP.. The booking fee was around 4,500 Inclusive of 3days 2 nights stay at La Carmela De Boracay with free breakfast. Round-trip Airfare VIA zest air. Round trip transfer from airport to hotel. At around 9:00 AM we arrived at Terminal 4 our flight was at 11:00 AM. This terminal was quite old even the wifi is not working :( . We proceed to the check in counter and waited for our boarding time at around 10:20 AM. The flight from MANILA to KALIBO was just around 50mins. At around 12:00 NN we arrived at KALIBO international airport. The arrival area was small and there were different booth which offers land transfer from kalibo to boracay. Southwest tours were our attendant. They had a very nice bus that brought us to caticlan. The travel time was approximately 2 hours. At around 2:00 PM we arrived at caticlan jetty port we don’t need to pay any fees like environmental fee PHP75 terminal fee PHP100 and boat fee PHP25 cause its part of the package. With all fairness Caticlan jetty port was so nice and properly maintained. It was far better than kalibo airport when it comes to the lobby, hallway and comfort room. They gave me a guide book which unfortunately I forgot to browse. It contains all the information about the island like where to eat, what to do and where to go. Plus it contains coupons for special discount on some resto and bar. From Caticlan port It will take you 15-20 minutes to go to boracay island. Prepare yourself for a bewildering ride. I don’t exactly know if we arrived at cagban or tambisaan port but its both at the southern tip of the island. From that port we rode in a van that took another 10-15mins going to the hotel.

PART 2 THE HOTEL AND THE ISLAND

La Carmela de boracay was a good choice for a hotel. It is located at Station 2 approximately 20 mins walk from d*mall the most busiest part of boracay. Our room was a standard room at the most back part of the hotel which gave us the silent ambiance. The room was good for 4 persons. It has a cable TV, refrigerator , Security deposit box, 2 beds, hot and cold shower and a small terrace which in my case will not give me any view. The hotel has a nice façade where you can find their restaurant and pool area. They also have a pleasant lobby and hallways, they have a free welcome drink, Staffs are friendly and Food for breakfast was okay. Breakfast was served from 6-10AM at their convention center. Alcoholic drink was cheaper at La carmela so on our 2nd night I preferred to drink here. The ambiance was very relaxing because of the cold air. On our last day I ordered Carbonara which was creamy but was tasteless.
I’ve been to different beach in the Philippines but I can say Boracay is the best. God made this island Perfect. A strikingly beautiful white powder sand beach. Crystal clear, warm water that you can laze in for days on end. I enjoyed walking from station 2 to 1. Station 2 was the party central of boracay. It’s a place for shopping, entertainment, restaurants, café and hundred small tourist shop. Station 1 was generally quieter than station 2. Luxury resorts and nicest sand were here on the station 1. I rarely went to station 3 this is the part of the island which is least developed although some constructions are happening here. There also some upscale resorts have been developed.

PART 3 Boracay need not to be that expensive.

For a budget traveler like me. I need to make sure that I’m getting the best out of my trip but not spending too much. We did buy our needs at Manila like chips, chocolates, soap, etc. cause we assume that price will be higher on the island. That will save you more money. When we arrived at bora we are not sure where to eat. Seriously there hundreds of inviting restaurants in boracay but price are quite expensive so what we did was to dine on something that we knew. If you are really hungry go to some place that you are sure how it taste. We ate at Shakey’s They have platter meal for PHP250 which comprise of chicken, pasta, mojos and salad this really made me full. Enough to get some energy for that day. At night we had a drink at OJ’s in station 1. Their numbers of places to party and drink in boracay but we preferred this place. The ambiance was very peaceful. It’s a very relaxing feeling while listening to a live performance at the beach. SMB light here is PHP60 per bottle. We also went to d*talipapa where you can buy fresh sea foods. We bought 1/2kg of Shrimp for PHP400 and went to sababi to have it cook. You need to pay PHP150 per dish so we asked them to cook sinigang na hipon and buttered shrimp. I personally recommend this “paluto” They really did a good dish. I also recommend I love BBQ. The place was nice but the service was somewhat slow maybe because they're lots of people eating at this place. I ordered belly pork steak. Which taste good and not bad for around PHP200. For snacks you will find hundreds of stores to choose from but what made me crave for more was grilled foods at blue smoke. Price of grilled foods at boracay based on what I noticed was from PHP10-300. I also tried Mangoholic at Red bean for PHP70 seriously I find it too expensive for an ordinary mango ice cream. Coco coffee was a nice place to stay. I preferred small and quiet coffee shop its more comforting compare to others which are crowded. Small hot tea Chai latte is for only P80 not bad cause the taste was perfect. You can use the coupon from your boracay guidebook to avail buy 1 take 1 coffee/tea at coco coffee. Another must try is the Famous Calamansi Muffin of Boracay it was actually recommended by my friend from manila and I noticed that other people from the island is actually looking for that Calamansi Muffin. It's available at Real coffee for only PHP45. And it's in front of blue smoke where you can find the best grilled foods. When it comes to shopping for souvenirs don’t buy at any store at the beach front their price is relatively higher what I recommend is go to d’talipapa there lots of stalls at the alleyways where you can haggle in order get the best prices. Keychain here was 8 for 100 but we got it for 9 for 100 at the beach front its 6 for 100. T-shirt here was 120-150 for 2 at the each front its P170-180. A magnet for your refrigerator door was for only P50 at beach front stores its P100. You will also encounter numbers of hawkers at the white beach path offering massage, souvenirs and activities. Don’t feel frustrated just politely decline their offer and smile. I can say that my 3 days and 2 nights wasn’t enough to discover everything about this island. Next Time I’ll make sure that I will do fun water activities and I’m looking forward to see Boracay again 

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at la carmela for 4days and 3nights with my family. Since i got my booking through metrodeal, i purchased it in a cheap price. We have two rooms. Executive deluxe room 411 &419. My brother and my parents stayed in rm 411. Their room is good for 4pax, cr is clean and with bath tub. But rm 419 is horrible! Aside from it is located in the corner and end of corridor, the toilet bowl has no flash, and the water is sooo weak. That made my day sooo awful. I asked also for water but no attendant came to our room to deliver the water. The basic need that we only asked from them. Maybe La carmela is a good choice but definitely there's a lot more good accommodation. It was frustrating and disappointing.

• Stayed October 2013
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed in La Carmela de Boracay for 4D/3N in a garden view semi-deluxe room. There was nothing fancy and not much to write... a room to sleep on and end your day! It was clean and we had no issues with their staff. They were pleasant and accommodating. The breakfast was a simple meal and will not get you hungry until lunch time. I am not a big fan of Boracay, per se. This was my first visit and was shocked! I had to change my mind set and would not compare Boracay to the beaches of Cancun, Mexico or the beaches of Cuba and Dominican Republic. I will come back to Boracay having accepted the fact that it is very different from all the beach vacation destinations we have been to! Thank you to all the staff at La Carmela de Boracay for making our stay a very pleasant one!

Room Tip: Choose the garden view or you will be looking at a wall all day when you sit by the patio!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Carmela de Boracay? Share your experiences!