“Handy location . . .” 2 of 5 stars
Review of La Carmela de Boracay

Save Saved
You added La Carmela de Boracay to your Saves list
La Carmela de Boracay
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Station 2, Balabag Boracay Island | Malay Aklan, Philippines   |
Ranked #92 of 132 Hotels in Boracay
Taipei, Taiwan
“Handy location . . .”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I booked La Carmela through agoda.com for 12 nights in August. We had done some research and thought the location was great, and would allow us to do lots of relaxing by the pool, while still having easy access to the beach and activities. In that way it was a fairly good choice. Unfortunately in other ways the hotel was a bit of a disappointment. The photos on agoda.com gave the impression that the rooms were more modern than they actually were. Our room (308) was not only fairly old, but needed repeated attention for the broken safe and hot water heater. The hot water heater had to be replaced while we were there (about 1 hour sitting in room) and the safe had to have the batteries changed in it about 5 times before it would work properly. The power went out a couple of times too.
On our first night we arrived fairly late, and when checking into the hotel we were met with barely a hint of friendliness and a huge list of rules. Also the hotel asked us for a deposit of $1000 php upon checking in for a ratty old key. Also, the food in the hotel restaurant was really not very good. (pretty cheap though) We were repeatedly asked whether we were hotel guests when trying to get sun lounges out on the beach, yet the hotel allowed loads of touts and massage therapists to occupy the seating that is intended for guests' usage.
Also, the hotel was only willing to clean the room every two days. If you wanted this service, you had to go down to the front desk and sign a paper declaring that you wanted it. Most times, if you did this the room would be cleaned. There was an exception in our case, when we had to wait for a third day to have our room cleaned. This is a bigger deal when you're in an area constantly being trampled with sand.
Despite the laundry list of rules they insisted on showing every new guest, the hotel was very noisy every morning, with lots of guests slamming doors and kids running around. The sheer number of families with kids made it impossible to enjoy the small pool near the beach, and the complete lack of sun lounges by the pool made it absolutely impossible to catch a tan or chill with a book there.
Also there is no complimentary wifi in the hotel. You have to buy wifi cards by the hour, or bulk hours slightly cheaper. Also, this service was not working at one point during our stay, and required us to go to the front desk late at night for help. (the phone in the room did not work at all for a few days while we were there, so we could not even contact the front desk)

Room Tip: If you need a tip to choose a good room, I would suggest you don't choose La Carmela hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Only worth it if it is a super last minute booking (no other place available in all the island) and during low season.
We stayed there during chinese new year, super expensive and no service at all. Ants on the pillow and on your face every morning, noisy room and dirty.
Uneatable breakfast, even if included we have to go somewhere else.
Only positive thing is the location, but 99% of the hotels in Boracay are at the beach front so nothing really else to say.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Phuket, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

RESERVATION:
We booked direct to the hotel website and Reservation Staff named BRENDON is so polite and prompt in responding to our queries and very attentive to details (very important for me since it was my first trip to Boracay and i do not want to get in trouble along this important travel.) At first tried to book to an agent but to my dismay, they are so careless with your details that leads me to contact the hotel direct and i got the best rates with the grandest service!
ARRIVAL/DEPARTURE:
The staff is punctually waiting for us at the arrival area as round-trip airport transfers were included by the hotel and no hassles were met, we were comfortably seated to the hotel van just four of us, no other guests. Reached the hotel smoothly and safely as the hotel staff and guides did everything-carrying our luggage and directing us to the pier to the boat to the next van till we reach the hotel with no "what???" moments. Everything was done by the hotel and we only sit, relaxed and enjoyed every car-ride, boat-ride etc., no need to worry about entrance fees, taxes or anything, the hotel did that. And yes, only four of us in the boat plus the guides and driver. It was high season. We arrived very early at the hotel, the transfers were very efficient. I am already amused during email reservations but this airport-to-hotel service prepped up my feeling that i got the right hotel. On our check out day, everything was smooth, a staff send us till the gate of the airport. I expected a goodbye at the hotel gate but i was embarrassingly wrong.
ACCOMMODATION/LOCATION:
I expected no special treatment and no special hotel, i just wanted to reach Boracay and experience the place, we booked a standard room for 4 people but they upgraded us to Executive Room FOC!. We arrived very early but let us check-in right away with free upgrade as our reserved room is still occupied by guests. My day! The white beach and happenings is right in front of the hotel and nearby. The rooms are average but i can not ask for more. The amenities i did not try, the pool is small but the endless white sands and crystal ocean right in front is what i am there for. It was paradise! ( Working in an equally beautiful paradise here in Phuket - Front desk in a 5-Star luxury boutique hotel, i am proud to say our country is equally competitive when it comes to standard of paradise on earth.) I can not compare Boracay with islands here in Phuket - both have distinct qualities worth visiting. La Carmela de Boracay is worth staying for families, groups and even to solo travelers.
RATE/PRICE:
I paid less than the usual, I won't tell how much as i am guilty with all the pampering i got for a first time trip. Usual first timers always get no bargains with hotels and travel amenities, but i got lower than that. <wink!> <wink!> Tip: Book direct with the hotel, look for Brendon if possible, he is very very attentive to every details of your requirements in your travels. Enough of that, when you go to Boracay expect to spend, i just got some perfect moments on my first time.
FOOD/RESTAURANT:
Breakfast was included but we upgrade to Buffet breakfast of minimal fee. I do not care much for food, we are 5-star and we also serve egg, sausage etc. x10 of the actual price. Do not expect new kinds of foood everyday, they are not gourmet hotel. My friends who went there before me said all the food in Boracay is sooo expensive, but hey i need to eat. We didn't starve, everything is available from fast food to proper food, just look around, everything is a walking distance from the hotel. Explore other restaurants around or get the street foods, they are sumptuous.
STAFF/SERVICE:
My bad i never had the chance to give my appreciation to the staff until today. From the reservation agent, Brendon to the staff who pick us up at the airport to the Receptionist (i was not able to get their names, i was enjoying the amazing service and the amazing place), everyone was very polite and attentive. Two thumbs up!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

The hotel itself isn't very overwhelming, booked a ocean view room but found it to be small and the mattress very uncomfortable. Had the free breakfast included with the room but the breakfast was below average. The air con was so noisy I found it hard to sleep. But even with the shortcoming of this resort I was there to enjoy Boracay which on my second trip to the Philippines ever enjoyed it very much. If I ever go back to Boracay La Carmela isn't the place where I'll be staying.

Room Tip: if its a good quality hotel your looking for, I don't advise you to book here. if your just loo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This place is old & not well maintained. You could hear the noise in the hallway as if your door were open. Aircon unit could not cool the room properly. Only upside is that staff are courteous. Will have to check out immediately the following day to avoid total disaster.

• Stayed August 2013
Luzon, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Even if i read so many bad reviews about this hotel i still booked 4D3N for 5adults and 1child in this hotel. For the reason it was the cheapest I could find booking thru the internet. How bad could it be right?! When we arrived an attendant helped us with our bags and directed us for checked in, it went out smoothly; doing the checking.... (reservations and payments of deposit 2k) we are brought to our room. We got a spacious room with 3 bed, restroom, towels, 1small bottled shampoo, mini veranda, tv, aircon, mini fridge, cabinet with hangers and volt. They don't have complimentary bottled water in the room but they have water dispensers in the lobby which you can refill water from (that's good at least right?!). My husband and I had the buffet breakfast for P230 ea. I find the food unsavory and cold. We just tried it out since i already knew they had a bad review on their food. Well, everyone is right there! Before heading out i phoned for house keeping to fix our room but they told me i have to sign at the front desk since we wont be there to supervise, its a waiver that they wont be liable if something went missing i guess. So fine. I went to the lobby, signed and went out to enjoy Boracay on our first day. To my dismay when we got back, our room still wasn't fixed. After few more calls there, got it fixed finally. All in all, you're there in Boracay to enjoy Boracay. So that's what we did and didn't mind the short comings of this hotel. Checking out was okey, they just had me waited for everything to get cleared out and got my deposit back. Im just glad i got a descent place where we could stay in without breaking the bank. It's a budget hotel after all.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Not as I expected it should be...the location was great but the hotel itself was poor in quality...breakfast needed to be upgraded to be able to have a buffet, otherwise will be given in set... not recommendable

• Stayed July 2013

Been to La Carmela de Boracay? Share your experiences!