“Highly disappointed, not good value for money” 1 of 5 stars
Review of La Carmela de Boracay

You added La Carmela de Boracay to your Saves list
La Carmela de Boracay
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Station 2, Balabag Boracay Island | Malay Aklan, Aklan Province, Philippines   |
Ranked #101 of 139 Hotels in Boracay
Manila, Philippines
“Highly disappointed, not good value for money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed in this hotel using deal vouchers --- hoping to really get a very good deal. We're very disappointed that the rooms booked were old, dirty and cramped. Wish we didn't get the voucher deal or the hotel booking at all. This is not located in Station 2 but rather in Station 3. Or a the very least, at the very end of Station 2. I thought to myself, I could be wrong about this reference. However, when I asked the tricycle drivers and other locals of the location of this hotel --- it's a unanimous Station 3.

Also, the sheets are obviously very old and scratchy. Most of the staff are under apprenticeship and thus the management will not perform turnover service without the hotel guest present. This is not practical at all. A regular hotel staff should do the supervision and not the hotel guest! Probably one of the ways in keeping the costs down by the management itself.

Didn't live up to the celebrity endorsements. Buffet breakfast are below par, unhealthy and took way too much time to replenish.

We booked two rooms and the management didn't consider giving us the one with an adjoining door, considering that they know that we are travelling together. They should have asked us beforehand since they know we have children in our group. Toilet unit leaked in one of our rooms, molds are found in both t&b. There's no ledge separating the shower area and the toilet area so the entire t&b will be flooded the entire time. I couldn't bear to take pictures --- depressing. I think we were booked in the old building.

Walk-way to the beach/pool/breakfast area seem to be reeking of something I don't want to know. This is not only bad for the guests but also to the environment.

Room Tip: I am getting a bit sad about my review so here are my tips: If you are a walk-in guest, try to chec...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Still with a delayed housekeeping service. Arranged for landtransfers with the hotel...the trip from the Kalibo airport to the resort is okay, with a private van as expected. But the trip back to the airport has been arranged with a public transport BUS. The thing was, we (20 from La Carmela) were almost transferred to another public transport bus to accommodate a bigger group (50 pax) local tourists at some station who requested for an exclusive transfer. Totally insane! We held our ground and refused to be transferred.

Quezon City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Nothing special about this hotel. It's right smack in the middle of the noisiest part of Boracay - Station 2. So if you are all for budget without any comfort (we had no hot water in the room and they wanted to charge us for ice brought to the room), this is ok. Otherwise, i would gladly pay more for a better hotel.

Our bath tub had molds along the side, the food is ordinary. Quality for money = if you can afford a few hundreds more, go somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, null, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights along with my family. For me its more of a resort & not a hotel. It is really budget so don't expect to get much as much. For the price you paid i must say it okay. Since it is a budget hotel expect that there is a big crowd esp during the buffet breakfast. The dining hall is really packed. The hall ways are a bit dark & even the rooma. Good thing its beachfront & accesible to the talipapa.

We spend most of our time outside so the hotel is merely for us to sleep & bathe then your money is worth to book a budget friendly resort like this.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
manila, philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This budget hotel offers 1st-class service. The front desk staff gave us a hassle-free check in. Iced tea were served upon arrival. Everything was in order. One hitch that I dislike is the delayed housekeeping service. I requested the housekeeping to make up our room before my family left for the beach. Upon return, I still see the hang tag "make up room" in the door knob. It is only when I called the attention of the housekeeper that they started to make up our room. This is the only shortcoming that I noticed. Overall we have a splendid stay in this resort hotel.

makati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here nov of 2011 at std room at less than 2k for 4 person with bf.. very cheap. There were renovation that time, so its very noisy on our room, we requested to be transferred and grant our request moreover upgraded to deluxe room with out extra charge since is low season.. they also accommodate us for early check in at 9am... the room is enough for 4 person with ref and safety deposit box..The bed, pillow and toilet is not bad. There where even free hot and cold purifed water at the hallway.

So when we go back to Bora on March 2013, we stayed again here but now in std room, this is a little bit bigger to deluxe room with the same room amenities but around 30 meters away from the deluxe room and around 200m from the beach..they change towel and bedding every day...Again they accomodate us for early check for the second time around even it is high season but we waited for about 15mins for they staff to fix the room.

This hotel is for famly with kids since they have pool with life guard.

Set meal during low season is not bad and buffet meal during high season is quite good. Best food still in the TALIPAPA.

Finally, i will recommend this resort, ask for discount, they will grant it...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Bridgewater, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Quite a nice stay, even if all we did was collapse there briefly between our three action packed days in Borocay. The room was good, the breakfasts were good, and the service, as is indicative of Philippine hospitality, was outstanding. We spent most of our time in the warm waters of the beach, snorkelling, sightseeing, and buying souvenirs. My fondest memory of La Carmela, as I've recounted all too often time friends, is this: After we unpacked from our arrival, I went to the pool out front for a quick dip and a beer. I ordered a Red Horse (going around the Philippines? Gotta ride the Horse!) from the bartender, leaving my full hundred pesos on the counter. Next time past the bar, I heard, "Sir! Red Horse?" Huh, what..."Why, yes, sure! Salamat! Thank you". And again, left the change from the hundred. This continued whenever I walked past him. It was a great day, from what I recall...That evening, as we went out for a fantastic buffet served right on the beach in the setting sun, I heard a different voice call out, "Sir! Red Horse?' Huh, what? Who are you, and how did you know..."Why, yes, sure! Salamat! Thank you!" And another hundred pesos went no further. It's not always the freshest linens, the cleanest floors, the tastiest cuisine, or even the best ambiance that makes a hotel stay memorable, because La Carmela had all that. No, it's the little things, the simple surprises that always make me look back and smile. If there were any shortcomings, they were washed away by the warm waters of Borocay beach.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple