“Home Base for our Great Escape” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Carmela de Boracay

You added La Carmela de Boracay to your Saves list
La Carmela de Boracay
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Station 2, Balabag Boracay Island | Malay Aklan, Aklan Province, Philippines   |
Ranked #101 of 135 Hotels in Boracay
Bridgewater, Canada
“Home Base for our Great Escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Quite a nice stay, even if all we did was collapse there briefly between our three action packed days in Borocay. The room was good, the breakfasts were good, and the service, as is indicative of Philippine hospitality, was outstanding. We spent most of our time in the warm waters of the beach, snorkelling, sightseeing, and buying souvenirs. My fondest memory of La Carmela, as I've recounted all too often time friends, is this: After we unpacked from our arrival, I went to the pool out front for a quick dip and a beer. I ordered a Red Horse (going around the Philippines? Gotta ride the Horse!) from the bartender, leaving my full hundred pesos on the counter. Next time past the bar, I heard, "Sir! Red Horse?" Huh, what..."Why, yes, sure! Salamat! Thank you". And again, left the change from the hundred. This continued whenever I walked past him. It was a great day, from what I recall...That evening, as we went out for a fantastic buffet served right on the beach in the setting sun, I heard a different voice call out, "Sir! Red Horse?' Huh, what? Who are you, and how did you know..."Why, yes, sure! Salamat! Thank you!" And another hundred pesos went no further. It's not always the freshest linens, the cleanest floors, the tastiest cuisine, or even the best ambiance that makes a hotel stay memorable, because La Carmela had all that. No, it's the little things, the simple surprises that always make me look back and smile. If there were any shortcomings, they were washed away by the warm waters of Borocay beach.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Muntinlupa, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The location of the hotel is convenient because it's at the beach front and there are also groceries nearby so getting the rest of your much needed supplies isn't a problem. However, I have to say that the moment we got to the reception area of the hotel, I already got the feeling that our stay would not be pleasant at all. The whole complex felt so claustrophobic, with concrete walls all around. Seems like the developer crammed in as much hotel rooms as they could in such a limited space! They didn't bother allocating more space for landscape or flora to provide a relaxed atmosphere to their guests. Ventilation in the hallways were poor (maybe due to the way they crammed in so much walls and rooms), it was so hot.

While checking in, we were immediately presented by the receptionist all the DON'Ts (and only the DON'Ts). I mean, talk about welcoming guests this way! Then the room we were given really (and I mean really!) smelled old. Although it was clean, they could have made the room smell fresher. The water out the shower and the tap is so difficult to control, you either get cold out of the freezer or scorching hot, nothing in between. The room had cable TV, electronic locker, cabinets, towels and an empty mini fridge (yep, you heard me right, EMPTY). Provisions only included soap and bathroom tissue. The bathroom didn't have a doormat. For the internet, you have to pay for the wifi connection separately (aw come on! I have stayed in much cheaper hotels with free wifi access!).

Accomodations already include buffet breakfast. But the food weren't delicious. My kids love fried rice and scrambled eggs in the morning but in the hotel, maybe the food was really not that good, they refused to finish their food. Even if you were staying in their higher end rooms, you'll be getting the same breakfast fare. My bosses (who were also there and were staying in the best room they had) also didn't like the food and just gave away their breakfast stubs. Even their paid meals weren't good. They were quite expensive for such taste and small portions.

Overall, our stay here was unpleasant (and at times, stressfull). People might say that this is what we get for staying in a budget hotel. But even if you stayed in one of their best rooms, you'll still experience the same congested corridors. As I mentioned, I have already stayed in much cheaper hotels than this one, but with far better experience, so I don't think being a budget hotel justifies what we experienced here. Maybe the biggest factor was the ambience - too much concrete!

Room Tip: There are better cheap accomodations out there than this one.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Quezon City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

If you are on a budget and you came to Boracay mainly for the beach, then this hotel is for you. They have lots of room available but of course it is better to book prior to your trip. It is a few steps from the beachfront, so it is very convenient. They have a cute welcome garden with a mini pool for kids. Once you arrive, they offer drinks to cool you. The room size is just enough. There are actually four of us in a room. The beds are big enough to move around even if you sleep beside your friend or partner. We had a great time at the beach-I mean, it is what we came here for! =)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Pasay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

First, let me define what budget accomodation means. It is a cheap to average cost of accommodation. If you want a figure, it costs us P2200 through an online travel agency to book here. Rate includes breakfast. Now the review. The resort has the perfect location. Literally a few steps away from the beach. It could be considered almost at the center of white beach if you ask me. The location is perfect since it would just take you a few minutes to get to restaurants, shops and even the main road. I could say that the people who stay here are on a budget so I really would not consider that these guests will be looking for five-star type of establishment or fine dining type of restaurants, so restaurants that offer food ranging from P150-1000 that are close is an advantage. Rooms are also quite acceptable. Clean, spacious enough to move on, ordinary amenities are provided and airconditioner works. Breakfast is also fine, nothing special, but filling. I am not affected by the number of guests at that time. It is crowded, but being a budget hotel,, that is really expected. As i've said, the hotel is a budget hotel. Anyone who expects to get more should pay more and stay in the triple A resorts in Station 1 and 3.

Room Tip: Get a room at the main building. It is closer to the pool and breakfast area. Newer rooms at the pre...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is close to statioN 3, we stayeD at execuTive wing for 5 days 4 niGHts with friends... SoMe of my friends roOM Are betTer - they have bAlcoNy... My roOM was near the elevator - toO nOisy due to kids screaming... SheEt is clean nOt useD... stafF always smilLing.. at niGHt there is always an aCtivity ouTsidE the hotel... FoOd is alriGHt...

• Stayed April 2013
Manila
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

UPSIDE:
The price is very cheap, in fact one of the cheapest you can find for a beach-fronting resort in Boracay. The hotel staff are also attentive and are able to deliver quick service (although you can see that they are actually overworked, they still exert effort to let out their smile and courtesy).

DOWNSIDE:
Good Price and Good Service by the overworked staff, aside, there are no other reasons why you would like to stay in this hotel. First off, the management of the hotel seemed so fixated to making money that he is pouring concrete out of every available space in his property to build more rooms, a large convention hall and other income-generating spaces. The result, the rooms are so crammed up and small and all you can see when you go out of your room balconies are concrete walls of the other buildings. You will even find it hard to catch a breath of fresh air in your balcony or in other limited open areas of the hotel since every wind direction is virtually blocked by construction overload. It really speaks of bad planning for a resort. The swimming pools (one for the kids and the other for adults) are so small and crammed up you'd rather not dip into it. The daily breakfast is also bad that you better shell out some money to have your meals done outside (imagine, everytime I order for a sunny side up, there is just the sunny side and the egg white is consistently lapped off). The hotel restaurant, lobby and other common areas are also crammed with people giving you a feeling that you are more in a marketplace than in a relaxing hotel.

We booked for a quadruple accommodation yet, the room would barely fit a comfortable space for a couple. There is this locked door that is supposed to be connected to the adjoining room (in case you want to occupy both rooms) yet, the noise coming from the other room is so audible that you can almost hear the conversation of the other rooms's occupants. The other room's occupants would party in the beach till the wee hours of the morning that, every dawn, we will be awaken by their noise once they get inside their room. The hotel also provides toiletries good for one pax only (although, as earlier said, we booked for 4 pax) as the receptionist will always reason out that we can request for replenishment any time. There was also no wi-fi in the room and you have to go to the restaurant or lobby area to be able to be connected. In short, since there are so many people in the hotel, maybe because the rates are so cheap, the place is chaotic. I have been going to Boracay every summer for the past 9 years and this is my first time to stay in the Station 2 or 3 area and regretted it.

Room Tip: Please fork out some extra money and stay away from this hotel. Better yet, book for a resort hotel...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Cavite, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We booked a standard room but we were informed that our room was upgraded to an executive wing with no extra charge. the room was quite large but has no windows and ac was not working well. after complaining, they changed the ac but still it didnt work, probably, the room was quite large for a 1/4hp air conditioner. there was a door leading to the veranda daw but to our disappointment, it was a laundry area of the hotel. Nonetheless, the staff were all so polite and kind and there were several hands always ready to give you a lift. In general, the accommodation is just average at an affordable rate. But dont expect too much from this hotel to avoid disappointment.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to La Carmela de Boracay? Share your experiences!