“Sur Beach Resort is a home away from home!” 5 of 5 stars

Sur Beach Resort
5608, Philippines   |
Ranked #18 of 132 Hotels in Boracay
Las Pinas, Philippines
“Sur Beach Resort is a home away from home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

We returned to Sur Beach Resort (we stayed here in 2007) last January 2011. We really love this hotel, because it is like staying in a home which has the amenities of a five-star hotel. The lobby is not the typical hotel lobby but is cozy and comfortable resembling the living room of a home. The interior decoration of the lobby, dining and the bedrooms has artistic touch. The bedroom is as cozy and comfortable. Staff are courteous, facilitating and quick to respond. The restaurant has a sumptuous array of meals and the serving very generous! Food is cheap too! We will always return to this "home away from home"!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

Second Home
by: Alpha Wave

My husband and I have gone back to Sur, I think, three times since our first visit, and each time we’ve felt like going back to a second home. First of all, when we call the front-desk people, they are always friendly and they remember more details about us than we do about them. AND they give the best services and prices for what they offer that one could imagine

My husband and I, believe it or not, have worked hard for ten years now to simplify our lifestyle, which interestingly is harder than accumulating material things. But we really set aside a budget for Sur. We go during the low season, get a jackpot plane ticket of 25 percent of the usual value. Then we can afford Sur's best room, one of its two beautiful beachfront rooms which open out to the beach, the sea and the unforgettable sunsets of Boracay. This luxury was something we could never afford when we were younger.

We cherish the alpha wave-ridden fresh beach air and don't turn on the aircon in our room until late at night when the party music of the places next door become too noisy. Our room is like a honeymoon place: so clean, with fantastic beds and pillows. I just love the white sheets and towels.

In the three years that we have been going to Sur, the quality of its rooms has not gone down. In fact, they have been constantly spruced up. It's equally lovely to meditate on the captivating photographs of Boracay views hanging on the walls. My only struggle is with the closet, which is not deep enough, but that is hardly an issue.

The other great thing is the food! The helpings are generous and quite delicious and reasonably priced. In the morning, with our free breakfast, we ask for noodles with lots of vegetables. For lunch and dinner, the chicken, pork and pasta dishes can compare with our favorites in Boracay like Mango Ray and the former Pizza Baffo.

We appreciate the fact that the sand in Sur is actually cleaner than the sand on the beach (!), thanks to the staff’s constant raking. Sadly, while Boracay may be enthusiastically appreciated by locals and people of the world, the beachfront has a sewer-like smell that we must endure during our daily two-hour walk up and down the beach in the very early morning.

Nevertheless, Boracay for us is still tops in terms of charm and a vacation experience. But living in Sur Beach Resort gives us the standard to work for in terms of what we wish the whole Boracay could be -- clean and safe and conscious of sustainability. When we’re there, we always do our part to make sure we are as attentive and sensitive to what the island needs: lightfootedness, proper disposal of garbage, a low noise level, smiling faces, and an appreciation of afternoon walks and sunsets.

There was a time when we seriously considered buying a piece of property in Boracay. Our Boracay friends, though, discouraged us, saying we would regret our decision, given the politics of the place and the high cost of maintaining a house. Anyway, my best friend said, we could always splurge on just going to Boracay all the time. Many, many things have happened since, and yes, we still make Boracay a constant destination. And boy, are we glad we have Sur as our home – it’s hassle-free and it adds beautiful moments to our life

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

My husband and I met up with my mother at SUR and spent 3 days there. On the bus ride from the ferry, I was worried what the place would be like (I hadn't been to Boracay for at least 12 years) - but when we arrived, I was SO excited. Elegant, simple decor with lush plants everywhere. We were given a room to wait in while ours was being prepared - little did we know that we had an amazing beachfront room waiting for us! It's not the largest hotel, but that's why I liked it. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and even told me where I could buy flowers for my mother in town (although they warned me they would be awfully expensive - they were right!).

Clean rooms, comfy beds, large bathroom, showers worked great. I really enjoyed the food at the restaurant in the resort and tried to eat in one of the bungalows as often as there was one free (It provided nice shade from the very hot sun but allowed you to gaze at that amazing beachfront view). They also have beach chairs closer to the beach so you can lay out and relax.

Its located in the middle of the strip - so its away from the super busy clubby part of the island (not really my thing) but was close enough to have a nice walk to the shops and resturants in that part of the island. I thought it was great - we were close enough to enjoy the action, but far enough to be in peace and quiet.

I would DEFINTELY stay again and recommend SUR to anyone who is thinking of vacationing in Boracay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

My wife and I booked a room for 2 nights over the internet, paid in advance arrived at the resort and had a wonderful stay. Staff were very helpful especially Girlie, breakfasts were very tasty, rooms were comfortable, beds were so soft and we slept well. They had a solar hot water system which worked fine. Price was very reasonable, around $100 usd and well worth the money. Views from the top balcony were fantastic. What more do you need?? Security guards were helpful and orgabised transport for us. My wife and I rent a guest house in Palawan and we went to Baracay to get some ideas about marketing. First thing we learned from Sur was to keep things simple and provide good service. Thanks to the management of Sur for a well run organisation, regards Mal and Mich Brewer

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

Sur is located on the best beach on Boracay Island (Station 1). The sand there is spectacular - like walking on powdered milk. The beach itself is probably the best in the area as well - no boats docked on the shore and possibly the least amount of moss/seaweed. The hotel itself is clean and the beds are comfortable. Cable TV is decent and the rooms are spacious. Their tapa and bangus (not boneless) for breakfast are pretty good.

But...

...it would have been nice if the receptionist told us that the hot water in our room (the one and only family room) didn't work. I would have considered moving to another room had they suggested it. We had to take a bath in moderately cold water every night - not so bad, but it's a bit uncomfortable. They told me that the heater was damaged after I mentioned that there didn't seem to be any hot water.

...I didn't appreciate having so many people playing frisbee in front of our hotel. Although the people would stop playing to let us through to get to the beach, it wasn't nice feeling like I had to rush to get to the beach so they could get on with their game or to avoid getting hit - mind you, these people were playing frisbee in teams and it seems like a pretty rough game. (occurs late afternoon around 4 to 6pm). It might be to Sur's advantage if they could moderate or control these people playing in front of their hotel.

...On our first day, we couldn't take a nap because the guests in the rooms next to ours were pretty noisy - banging the doors, calling out to each other in the tiny hallway leading to all 4 rooms in the same floor - I realize this is not Sur's fault for having the occasional degenerate customer, but maybe they could put signs or tell guests to keep the noise level to a minimum so as not to disturb other guests.

lastly...their kitchen closes at 7pm. It's a long walk to d'mall (boracay's mall where all the restaurants are) - abt 10 to 15minutes. It would have been convenient if they were open for dinner or at least room service, when needed. The Two Seasons Hotel next to Sur has good food - a bit pricey - in case you're starving.

Otherwise, our stay in Sur was pleasant and comfortable. Their amenities are quite basic but when in Boracay, all you need is a good place to hang around, a comfortable room to crash in, and an awesome beach to take your breath away.

Tip: For AWESOME but slightly pricey seafood, visit Paraiso Grill in Station 2 near d'mall. Prawns are PHP110 per 100grams, lobsters are PHP200 per 100grams. The BEST!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

I stayed at Sur for 5 day, I found the staff to be more than helpful, they loaned me a adaptor so I could use my laptop ( I am from the U S) free of charge. The breakfast was good offering western and filipino foods. The room was simple but very nice, I can't say enough about this resort there picture are very accurate. Only a short 5 min stroll down the beach to all the night life without all the noise and crowds. I highly recomend this resort for familys and people who like to find adventure on there own.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Seoul
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

I really WANTED to like this hotel. Here is my experience as objectively as I can give it.

The bad:
A. There was no hot water in our section of the hotel due to what I was told was a heating element malfunction. This could happen to any hotel but here is how this hotel handled it:
1. They didn't inform us, they just let us take a shower and wait pointlessly for the hot water. We had to take showers in another room where they apparently sent everyone from the affected section to take showers.
2. They did not offer any concession at all. If I hadn't brought it up, they would have happily charged us full price for the room.

B. The menu at the restaurant is unimpressive. I've been to Boracay before and having a nice place to eat right in your hotel is a great convenience. There was nothing I (being vegan) would eat and there was nothing my non-vegan friend WANTED to eat. There are decent places nearby, but since this hotel said they cater to vegetarians I expected more. It was maybe somewhere you would eat at during a lunch break from work on a Tuesday, alone. Not a place you would want to eat at during a getaway to Boracay.

C. Sur is a hang out for vendors. One of the major annoyances of Boracay is the roaming vendors. If you've never been there before, there are dozens of guys up and down the beach trying to sell garish sunglasses, sun hats, and trying to talk you into the water activities for a commission when you could just go talk to the boat owners. This means that even though there are 8 kilometers of pristine beach, you can't actually take a pleasant walk down it without getting these guys in your face. You can't lay down and sunbathe without some guy walking by every 10 minutes trying to sell you sunglasses the type you might see by the register at a convenience store. Many places post "no vendors" signs and actively keep them away. At Sur, the vendors sit right next to the Sur sign by the beach chairs, smoking and staring at the girls in bikinis (hotel guests).
We went next door to eat at The Two Seasons because the actually have a decent menu and excellent service. And from Sur, the vendors were looking over the fence and watching us and other diners eat! Twice did this happen: I literally had food in my mouth while one of these vendors is staring at me and he yells "boat sir!" He was trying to sell me a boat ride while he was watching me trying to enjoy a meal. He was doing this from the nice shady spot at Sur where vendors apparently hang out and wait to pester guests. I had to go to Sur and make them actually do something about it. Then it happened again 5 minutes later. I notice the vendors avoided The Two Seasons where we were eating, and I think it's because they have a security guard. (It sounds like I work for the Two Seasons or something but I don't.)

D. If you've never been to a hotel where every employee actually wants and is well-managed to give you good service, the service here might seem passable. But really I was disappointed. The staff seemed like a staff that was goofing off while the boss was away. Ever walk into a store and look around for help but all the employees are in one corner chatting and hoping you'll just give up and go away? That's kind of how it felt here. You could walk up to the front desk and if there was even someone there, they might not make eye contact with you and you might interrupt the movie they're watching on the computer.

E. The Superior room was cramped and the ergonomics seem to have been designed by an alien life form who has little familiarity with how the human body works. The TV faces the wall next to the bed, not behind the bed. There is a shelf right above the sink so you can't wash your face like you normally would. The towel rack is on the other side of the bathroom from the shower and way too high.

The good:
A. We got there early and they allowed us to use a temporary room while our room was being prepared. That was nicer than just holding our luggage.

B. The transfer to and from Caticlan is not going to impress your girlfriend with luxury, but it was very fast and convenient (It's handled by another company). If you don't mind a trike, you could just handle transportation yourself and save a few bucks.

C. Making the reservation on the phone was super easy and only required one minor correction.

D. Their website is not ugly and hard to navigate.

E. It was really easy to arrange great in-room massages.

F. I didn't see any cockroaches in the room.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sur Beach Resort? Share your experiences!