“Good hotel on the best part of White Beach” 5 of 5 stars

Aklan Province 5608, Philippines   |
Ranked #26 of 137 Hotels in Boracay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Deinze
“Good hotel on the best part of White Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

I think I checked each and every hotel on Boracay twice in my search for a place to stay for 7 nights, in the end my gf decided it would be SUR and that was a good decision. After some troubles with our flight which led us to Kalibo airport instead of Caticlan because the Caticlan landing strip needed maintenance everything went smooth, it's a long bustrip but boat transportation and transfer to the hotel were no problem at all.
Sur is located at Station 1 and that really is the nicest part of white beach, we went to the other side at Station 3 till we could not go any further and there's just so much difference : the beach at Station 1 is much cleaner, the sand is whiter, more "powdery", and it's not as remote from where the action at Station 2 is as a lot of people would expect, that is if you don't mind a 15 minute walk on the beach, and if so there's always tricycles to get you there and back.
Big plus is there's really not that much people around on that end of the beach, so of course there are vendors around but not too disturbing.
Now the Sur hotel is very nice, warm welcome by a friendly staff, every need is taken care of with a smile, we had one of the beachfront rooms and there's absolutely no remarks about that one. Cleaned every day, spacious, nice bathroom, a fridge, nice view (too bad about the sandscreens blocking the view a little but it was very windy indeed the first few days and there's the roof top terrace that makes up for that problem), a terrace we had our breakfast on daily and quiet atmosphere all around. The breakfast is nothing special but was ok, gotta have some luck with the juice though one day it's powder-juice the other day it's real juice. We had some other meals there and all those were very good except for the chili crab I had the first night, which was a lot of chili but almost no crab and I looked hard, and my gf was not too fond about the chocolate-bananashake but then again there's dozens of other places to go eat or have a drink within walking distance.
With beach towels provided and cabanas and/or sunloungers at our disposal we had a great time just staying at the hotel, their beachbar offers all drinks at reasonable prices so during daytime there really was no need to go elsewhere. And who needs a pool with the sea just a few steps away?
Conclusion : Sur is not the cheapest hotel around but the location and their service really make up for the price.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
QC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

Sur was a pleasant surprise.

It was my first time to stay in a hotel located at Station 1 and, might I say, vacation life there seemed different. Going there, we were greeted by a service from Caticlan airport going to the dock. A short boat trip. Then again another service to the hotel. Then, the sweet iced tea.

The place was very warm and also very conducive to good conversations amongst dearest of friends. And when you're with your good long time friends, every moment seems like a party.

Not a lot of people passed by in front of the beach, which offered me a better appreciation of the scenery. I'm guessing the people who passed by were the ones staying farther away from Station 2 or the ones enjoying a longer and quiet walk away from busy Boracay. This meant also a wider water-space to fool around with my friends.

A long walk to the happening locations in Station 2 gave a good break at night. Then another walk back was good exercise to tell myself "time to rest" while looking forward to a peaceful sleep.

Rooms were very clean and there was always hot water at any time of the day/night. Food was good and they served the breakfast at exactly the time that we asked it to be served, which meant careful planning was done for night life and wake-up time so we won't miss the newly cooked bacon.

If you want to enjoy a more serene stay in Boracay, stay in Sur.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Macao
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

This hotel looks nice from the outside. However, the room inside is just a youth hostel type. I stayed at the most expensive room type (beach-front room A2) and paid Php5040 (low season price already). The only good point for this room is the view when the weather is nice. However, the room fixtures and fittings are only worth 2 stars. It’s just like a youth hostel, especially the bathroom. Sur is located at Station 1, I walked about 20-25 minutes to D-mall. It is not that convenient if you wanna stay near everything. I booked for transfer with this hotel. But they only booked for my transfer from the airport to the jetty at Boracay. I waited for half hour at the jetty for land transfer from jetty to hotel. Breakfast can be provided at the cabana. Under good weather, this is very nice, but Sur’s breakfast is really awful. Originally, I booked to stay for 4 nights, but moved after the first night. Well, this hotel is very nice, they didn’t fine me for cancellation and I only paid for the one night I stayed. Then I moved to Le Soleil.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

My partner and I were checked-in at Sur last June 2009 (Phil. Independence Day long weekend) with a couple of other friends. I must say that we enjoyed our stay very much! Our room and the interior appointments were nice and cozy, the staff was very accommodating, and the food was good! I loved their margaritas, happy hour or otherwise! I will definitely choose to stay in Sur again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

We Loved this Place. A nice Beachfront Hotel.Very Friendly Staff , very Good Location in Station1 , very Good Beach , Large Rooms and Clean. their BeachFront room has a very Exellent View of the beach. Just their Breakfasr was Simple.
We will choose it Again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

I stumbled across this hotel on this site. Judging from the reviews that I've read about it, it seemed like a really nice place to stay in. The pictures of and from the hotel were breath-taking. Being my first trip out of the city with my friends, I hoped that everything would turn out according to plan. So we booked for a 3D/2N stay with round trip transfers from Caticlan Airport to the hotel.

Transfer from airport to resort:
Boy was I impressed! Upon landing at Caticlan Airport, we were immediately approached by the transfer staff hired by the hotel. Everything was flawless! I even thought that I was dreaming since we were fetched from the airport, guided to the jetty port, rode on a boat and fetched by a hotel van in under 30 mins! Same for the trip back to the airport. Just give them the details of your flight and they'll fix your transfers for you. This is for a fee of course... Definitely worth it though!

First impressions:
Upon arriving at the hotel, I found that there was a back entrance for the hotel. It was actually the white sand beach in front and the "main road" at the back. Very convenient if you feel lazy and just want to ride a tricycle instead of walking towards the much livelier part of the island. On top of that, it was right on the beach and at station 1, which by the way is the more quiet part of the beach. Perfect for an island getaway... The rooms were clean and the beach... fantastic!

Room:
The room was just the right size and odorless. It had two outlets, a mini refrigerator, a closet, cable TV, a dresser, a hair dryer and a couple of chairs. Mattress was just right with clean white sheets. I am very particular with the sheets and I immediately checked if the sheets had some powdery residue from the laundry soap. Fortunately none of that for this hotel! The room was well-lit, air-conditioned and the comfort room was quite clean. Shampoo, soap and cold/hot water were also readily available. The heating system was eco-friendly (powered by solar panels). The door also had double locks.

Staff:
The hotel staff were extremely accommodating. Nothing more to say. Just smiles and more smiles on top of the excellent service.

Beach:
Direct access to the powdery white sand. After unwinding in our rooms from the hassle free transfer from the airport, we headed to the beach. Just ask for some beach towels from the front desk and they'd give you clean ones in a jiffy! Exclusive beach lounge chairs were available right up front. And there were about three small cabanas and one large cabana too. You could schedule to have a massage in one of these just about any time of the day. We had ours at around 8 at night which was lovely. Peace and quiet plus the cool sea breeze... Raves about the island's sands were true. It didn't burn my feet even as we walked bare foot during midday.

Location:
As I said, out the back entrance you could flag down the many tricycles and get a 7php right to just about anywhere. D' mall is just a few minutes away and the convenience store was a lifesaver if you wanted to stock up on light snacks and some much needed h2o.

Food:
We only took our breakfast here. Can't comment on what the hotel serves for lunch or dinner if any. One thing to note though was that we were treated to a breakfast buffet for Feb 14! A nice Valentine surprise! You could reserve a cabana for your breakfast. 4 people can fit nicely into a small cabana and the large one could accommodate in excess of around 8 adults I think.

Value:
A bit pricey but hey, if you want a nice no-frills place to stay in, wouldn't hurt to shell out a few extra hundreds for it!

Would I recommend this hotel? Does that still need answering? hehehe... can't wait to get back!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Cebu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

Sur was located in station 1 which for us is the perfect location for peace and quiet. It's near enough to walk to the party zone in station 2 but not too near to the noise. And it's not too far away from Diniwid beach (another serene spot in Boracay) either. The rates fit well within our budget and so I would say it's absolutely value for money. The place was just right for us - it was clean, well maintained, comfortable, safe, and the service was excellent. The owner Patrick was very friendly, so were the rest of the staff, and even Sarge the beach dog. The cabanas where we had our breakfast was very quaint and charming. The tapa that they served as a breakfast option was really good! The massage service that they offer by the beachfront is also reasonably priced and really good. And if you're shy about getting your massage outside, they allow the entrusted masseuse to enter your room for your own comfort and privacy.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sur Beach Resort? Share your experiences!