“excellent and superb” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 131 hotels in Boracay
Davao City, Philippines
“excellent and superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My whole family and i had a great time in boracay. we enjoyed the place, the beach, the food the company,everything.its because SUR beach reasort has everything.The location of the hotel is perfect. I love to stay in the cabana watching the sunset and the different people walking and playing frisbee.The food in the hotel was superb.The staff and manager was very accommodating to us like we were VIPs.thanks a lot to them.the rooms were very clean and neat and the place is also perfect for family wanting to have a peaceful vacation.the hotel is worth the price.We would definitely return next year.

Room Tip: beach front rooms is the best!!..worth the price..
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

233 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Thank you Sur for the wonderful vacation we had. The food in the buffet breakfast was good everyday. Clean sheets daily, courteous staff they let us check in early without any hassle.
We were also invited on their team building activity. You can feel they are like family. Please dont expect 5 star amenities coz its way cheaper than other station 1 beachfront hotels. Service, cleanliness and delicious food is the best!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

It has a very good location on station 1. Very nice personnel. Only one little detail-noisy conditioner and low wifi signal on the 3-d floor.

Nice cabana and beach

It is not big and very quite. I will return next year)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Fairfield, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was my second vacation to Boracay and this time we choose to stay at Sur Beach Resort. I made my reservation directly with their office as they don't appear on discount websites. Instead I used the recommendations from TripAdvisor.

We enjoyed our stay of 4 days and 3 nights in a Standard Triple room. The beach is amazing as always and we really like the location in Station 1. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to the heart of the white beach, but far enough away to offer a choice if you prefer a more quiet stay.

We were allowed to check in early, at 11am. The staff was really nice and helpful during our stay. The room was clean upon arrival and the air conditioning was cold, making for a nice getaway from the heat outside.

Other positives were that the beachfront area was always kept clean. And they offer cheap and really good fruit shakes from the bar during the day.

Selling itself as a mid-level resort, there are certain expectations. When making reservations, I understand that it's not Shangri-La, but it's also not a budget hotel. Throughout our stay there were odd little things here and there that kept it from being a perfect vacation.

First, they are undergoing renovations, which makes for loud hammering and other noises during the day. I appreciate that they try to do it while everyone is out at the beach, but maybe peak season isn't the best choice when people are paying a premium to stay there.

The rooms are not very modern at all. They are clean, but not up to date compared to other hotels. There were cracks in the wall, the TV was an old style tube TV, and the amenities offered were just adequate. You could almost see through the bath towels they were so used and worn thin. And the balcony was useless as any usable space. Honestly I don't think 2 people could stand on the balcony and not be touching it was so small. But none of those were huge deals because honestly nobody comes to Boracay to stay inside their hotel. But for the price paid, I feel like it was a little lacking.

One of the most annoying parts of our stay was the beach towel policy. You had to check them out from the security guard near the beach. Guests were only allowed to check out one per person per day. If you wanted to swim in the morning and then later in the day, you had to use the same partially wet towel. If it rained in the afternoon, which is does often, you had to keep the same wet towel. If your towel gets covered in sand, too bad. I don't know if they can't handle the extra laundry, but it is unreasonable to make guests stick to one beach towel per day at a beach resort.

Another reoccurring thing was having vendors come up to the resort and try and sell their things or offer water sports. Security did nothing to have them leave, sometimes even stopping and chatting with them. We choose to stay at Station 1 because it's further away from everything and quieter than Station 2 or 3. At some points during the day, the same vendors came every 3-4 minutes. I saw other resorts enforce their "no vendors" policy, but Sur apparently had no policy like that.

While Sur Resort was relatively quiet, the next door resort, 2 Seasons, had a DJ blaring music during happy hour starting around 4 or 5pm. People running around doing shots and even offering it to us next door. The reason we stayed in Station 1 was to be away from the party. We can walk down and join if we want, but also have the peace and quiet of the resort if we choose not to. Unfortunately, the DJ was so loud we had no choice. It's not Sur Resort's fault, but it did impact our stay.

Included with staying at Sur is breakfast. They state that if there are more than 30 guests staying, they will do a breakfast buffet instead of made to order. No problem as we are not picky eaters. On our first morning, the food was OK, the usual of bacon and ham, eggs to order, etc. But the next 2 days the food was terrible. Not even breakfast options with what seemed like old leftovers from dinner the night before. When food was running out (at 8am when breakfast runs from 7-10am), they didn't refill items until we had to ask them. I don't need a big fancy breakfast, but the buffet was a joke. I'd rather them charge a little less for the rooms and not even offer any food. And they didn't even offer coffee until our third morning.

The airport to resort and resort to airport transfers were inconsistent, but that was using a third-party vendor for their services. Not completely their fault, but in my opinion, Sur should re-evaluate who they are selecting. On the way home we basically had to guide ourselves and ask guards for the next step as nobody helped us along. As we've been to Boracay before we knew what to expect in general, but we need to know which boat to get on, which van or car, etc.

All in all we enjoyed our days at the beach. The resort was OK, it wasn't a highlight of the trip and it didn't ruin it either. The location is ideal if you don't want to be in the middle of the parties (minus happy hour next door) and the beachfront is really nice. But it is not a 5-star (or 4-star) resort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at Sur for 4 days in mid-October 2012. I went with my wife, a friend and about 40 relatives. I think our group took up most of the hotel during our stay.

The location is good if you are more into the beach experience rather than the nightlife/partying scene. Sur is located at Station 1, so the sand is as fine and white as baby powder, and the water is as warm and clear as a swimming pool. It is several hundred yards away from the major party spots at Station 1, so you don't have to deal with crowds of party-goers and blasting music at night. But since it's still pretty close to the Station 1 action, you can just take a 5 minute stroll in the sand to the beachside bars, or walk about 15 minutes to the livelier night scene at Station 2.

Other than the resto/bar at the resort and the adjacent hotels, you have to either walk to or take a tricycle cab to Station 2 or 3 for more dining/drinking choices. The trike is about P60 each way, but about 4-6 normal sized people can fit on the various tricycles.

The bar/resto is probably one of the cheaper ones in Station 1. I kept a tab open and ended up charging all my food/drinks to my room and only ended up paying about $50 at the end of my stay (for 3 people). The breakfast is pretty good, standard Filipino breakfast - fried fish, longaniza, eggs, fresh fruits, garlic rice.

The rooms are simple and clean. Hardwood floors, spacious bathrooms, A/C, and a TV. The phones didn't work when we were there, but we were right near the lobby so it wasn't a problem for us.

The staff/service was excellent - very helpful and accomodating. We were in a group of about 40, and they treated us all very well the entire time, making sure we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Boracay is way too crowded now compared to several years ago, so I don't know if I want to return, but if I do, I will definitely consider staying at Sur again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I visit Boracay every other year, that approximately more than 10 times already, and have stayed in a variety of rooms and resorts ranging from luxurious to reasonable. I have never really minded my accommodations while in Boracay because my point is to spend most of my time outside anyway, but this just had to be the worst I've stayed in. Having stayed in other resorts along Station 1, and knowing that this is the best location in Boracay, I was expecting Sur to match up against its neighbors and to be a quality resort worthy of such a prime location. But fact is, the place is extremely ordinary, decent at best, amenities are no different from the cheap establishments out in the back street. There's nothing wrong with staying in a simple hotel coupled with the appropriate price, of course. But Sur is expensive for what it really is. Though freshly painted, the room was cheaply constructed and was fitted with ratty furniture, yellowing sheets, worn out towels, a hard bed and a noisy aircon. I also saw a lizard in the room, the floors were sandy, there were stains on the sheets and I found a dusty condom wrapper under the bed. Really now, budget hotel rooms are cleaner than this. You really pay purely to stay in a beachfront resort. But even so, the cabanas they have in front can be used by just about anybody, guest or not, so what did we pay a premium for? I could have stayed in a cheaper, cleaner, even non-beachfront resort in Station 1, walked for two minutes, and would have enjoyed the same beach anyway. Or I could have stayed in a cheaper, cleaner beachfront resort in Station 2 and would have been much happier than with Sur. To leave Sur with a bit of saving grace, their breakfast was mediocre and the service was very warm and helpful. Other than that, this place isn't worth staying in. Never again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

When you're in Boracay location is the key. Sur is a beachfront reaort located in Station 1 just a few steps away from the beach. I find the rooms tacky but clean. So if you're in Boracay and you plan to sunbathe all day and just use the room to sleep and bathe then Sur is a great hotel. Ordered room service and food is relatively cheap but taste is so so...

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Sur Beach Resort? Share your experiences!