“Great value hotel in Boracay” 5 of 5 stars

Sur Beach Resort
Aklan Province 5608, Philippines   |
Ranked #30 of 142 Hotels in Boracay
San Francisco, California
“Great value hotel in Boracay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at Sur for 4 days in mid-October 2012. I went with my wife, a friend and about 40 relatives. I think our group took up most of the hotel during our stay.

The location is good if you are more into the beach experience rather than the nightlife/partying scene. Sur is located at Station 1, so the sand is as fine and white as baby powder, and the water is as warm and clear as a swimming pool. It is several hundred yards away from the major party spots at Station 1, so you don't have to deal with crowds of party-goers and blasting music at night. But since it's still pretty close to the Station 1 action, you can just take a 5 minute stroll in the sand to the beachside bars, or walk about 15 minutes to the livelier night scene at Station 2.

Other than the resto/bar at the resort and the adjacent hotels, you have to either walk to or take a tricycle cab to Station 2 or 3 for more dining/drinking choices. The trike is about P60 each way, but about 4-6 normal sized people can fit on the various tricycles.

The bar/resto is probably one of the cheaper ones in Station 1. I kept a tab open and ended up charging all my food/drinks to my room and only ended up paying about $50 at the end of my stay (for 3 people). The breakfast is pretty good, standard Filipino breakfast - fried fish, longaniza, eggs, fresh fruits, garlic rice.

The rooms are simple and clean. Hardwood floors, spacious bathrooms, A/C, and a TV. The phones didn't work when we were there, but we were right near the lobby so it wasn't a problem for us.

The staff/service was excellent - very helpful and accomodating. We were in a group of about 40, and they treated us all very well the entire time, making sure we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Boracay is way too crowded now compared to several years ago, so I don't know if I want to return, but if I do, I will definitely consider staying at Sur again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank beepill809

Metro Manila, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I visit Boracay every other year, that approximately more than 10 times already, and have stayed in a variety of rooms and resorts ranging from luxurious to reasonable. I have never really minded my accommodations while in Boracay because my point is to spend most of my time outside anyway, but this just had to be the worst I've stayed in. Having stayed in other resorts along Station 1, and knowing that this is the best location in Boracay, I was expecting Sur to match up against its neighbors and to be a quality resort worthy of such a prime location. But fact is, the place is extremely ordinary, decent at best, amenities are no different from the cheap establishments out in the back street. There's nothing wrong with staying in a simple hotel coupled with the appropriate price, of course. But Sur is expensive for what it really is. Though freshly painted, the room was cheaply constructed and was fitted with ratty furniture, yellowing sheets, worn out towels, a hard bed and a noisy aircon. I also saw a lizard in the room, the floors were sandy, there were stains on the sheets and I found a dusty condom wrapper under the bed. Really now, budget hotel rooms are cleaner than this. You really pay purely to stay in a beachfront resort. But even so, the cabanas they have in front can be used by just about anybody, guest or not, so what did we pay a premium for? I could have stayed in a cheaper, cleaner, even non-beachfront resort in Station 1, walked for two minutes, and would have enjoyed the same beach anyway. Or I could have stayed in a cheaper, cleaner beachfront resort in Station 2 and would have been much happier than with Sur. To leave Sur with a bit of saving grace, their breakfast was mediocre and the service was very warm and helpful. Other than that, this place isn't worth staying in. Never again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank gggoesplaces
Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

When you're in Boracay location is the key. Sur is a beachfront reaort located in Station 1 just a few steps away from the beach. I find the rooms tacky but clean. So if you're in Boracay and you plan to sunbathe all day and just use the room to sleep and bathe then Sur is a great hotel. Ordered room service and food is relatively cheap but taste is so so...

• Stayed October 2012
manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

didn't get to stay but got a peak of our friends' rooms and it looked really great! the room looked huge for 3 persons and was told they have a big bathroom. we often stayed at their huts because of the lovely view. the staff were also very helpful and food prices were reasonable.

definitely will consider this for our next trip

Room Tip: basing the sleep quality and rooms on the peak that we got of our friends' room but location is...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank marica36
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stay in Sur resort in August and it was wonderful. The resort is just next to the beach and spend wonderful day sun tanning and swim. The room is clean and big but the aircon is noisy. Overall experience is good

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank berndz80
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Great place to stay in. Located along station 1 boracay, which is a prime spot for relaxation and swimming. Customer service is excellent too. Great for families! Whenever we go to to Boracay this is our only choice!

• Stayed October 2012
5 Thank Roningning_13
Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

First time in Sur Beach Resort, really liked the place. Im quite often in boracay so I know many hotels. I like Boat Station 1, quiet and best beach.
Rooms are very nice, clean and you can have a good sleep!
Staff is very friendly like everywhere in the Phillipines.
What I did not like was the play music on the beach, but you also hear the music from Hotel Two Season just maybe the speakers some meters away. When you want to relax you dont want to hear the music all day, maybe when its more Easy listening music but not boring new Disco Sound.
The Hotel managment should think about that.
But all in all great place and perfect place for having a great holiday.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo