“Sketchy Schemes” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 180 Boracay B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Sketchy Schemes”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed at Ralph's with my family for 2 months (were planning to stay for 3 months). We were looking for a reasonably priced place and checked out several places before deciding. He told us that because it's the low season, he can give us the yearly rate on monthly basis(it was still high, but the place seemed nice at first). He asked for deposit in sum of 2 months rent. Little did we know that he had low to no intention of giving that money back to us when it was time to leave. Everything in that place cost extra, and the costs were high. Gas, electricity, water, using washing machine, even the room cleaning and changing the sheets. That was basically just changing the sheets, floors were always left pretty much as they were. They never washed the floor during our stay. Ralph told us that there will be some construction noise for 2 weeks when the workers were still going to use the jackhammer. In reality, we got a wake up call at 8 o'clock for 2 months with jackhammer starting to work 10 meters away from our bed. It worked constantly from 8-12:00 and from 13:00 to somewhere between 18:00 and when it was dark (more often until it was dark, we were promised until 17:00). The whole studio was vibrating and the noise was just unbearable. We just had to leave the place until dark to get some rest. Only Sundays were quiet.

When we were finally exhausted by the noise and empty promises and decided to leave, he told us that initial rental price is no longer valid, because he was hoping that we will stay for longer. No arguing was accepted, even though we had signed a contract. We were not careful enough to make a copy for ourselves.

Another extremely annoying thing about this construction was that the workers were really not interested in finishing the job too soon. When supervisors were not watching, they just made construction noise by hitting concrete with small metal rods.

As this construction work seems to be ongoing for at least few more years, be careful when you go to check out the place, do it at working hours from Monday to Saturday to avoid unpleasant surprises later.
Another disturbing thing about this place is the traditional coconut leaf roof that the owners are proud of. In real life, it means that you have geckos and gecko digestion leftovers falling to your head from the roof constantly. I had a few grime laughs when the lizard poo dropped on my wife's plate during the dinner and when I woke up from the nap discovering that I had left my mouth open and something bitter has fallen in my mouth. The roof is also a convenient place for spiders and bugs to get in the room. I got nastily bitten by jumper spiders a few times and for a week or so, we had a problem with fleas.

We had a water leak in the bathroom pipes that created a nice big puddle daily on the floor that started a few weeks after we moved in. Ralph told us that he is afraid that the thing will get worse if anyone touches it and promised to repair it in few days. A week or so later, he told us that he is not going to repair it, because the problem will come back anyway. Needless to say, we had to dry the floor ourselves and we had to pay for the massive amount of water that was just dripping away.

If you happen to be in remote condo or studio, the chance of staff paying the visit to do their job is very low. We had to wait for several days for someone to empty the compost bin.

Also be aware of their dogs, there are many and especially in the dark, they might not be too friendly.

Also, the views are probably not the same as they were few years ago, at the moment the coconut trees are so tall that we had trouble seeing the beach through them.

It's a place where you can get lucky if you arrive Saturday night and leave on Sunday, but even then it's a risk I would not take ever again in my life.

Room Tip: Keep away from construction.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I just left Ralph's Place after almost 6 months in my lovely studio. I stayed from mid October 2011, until late March 2012. The studios are at a lower level than the bungalows, so they don’t have the same stunning view as the bungalows, but then again you only have 40 something steps instead of 80 something and you still see the ocean from the garden. The studios are suitable especially for people that are in Boracay long term. They all have kitchen and are equipped with what you need. You are self-catered but will get your bed sheets and towel changed once a week. The rent is reasonable. Like something someone said in one of the earlier reviews, I also felt like RP became my home.

The staff and owners will make sure that you have everything you need to make your stay as good and comfortable as possible. If something needs to be attended to or anything you need help with, they will see to it swiftly. Just ask and let them know, and they will assist you the best they can. It’s never a problem (I never had any major problems as I find the place to be well kept and everyone to be very helpful).

I have many fond memories I will take with me from this place, above all the warmth and friendliness of everyone at Ralphs Place, from the great staff to the wonderful owners and their darling 7 year old son (as well as other guests staying here). It is a good vibe to the place and whenever I come back, I hope my old studio is vacant for the reasons above.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
PEGIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

We have been staying at Ralphs Place for many years and like most of his guests, keep returning. Set high on the hill overlooking the kitesurfing/windsurfing beach of Bulabog, with just 80 steps down straight onto the beach, but a million miles away from the commercialisation of Boracay. 4 pleasant cotages set in large tropical gardens. If you're here for the watersports and want to stay somewhere quiet and beautiful, then this is the place.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Though based in manila, we get down to Boracay whenever we can. One of our favorite places to stay is Ralph's Place in Bulabog. A small family run resort at the top of a hill. It has probably one of the best views on the island. It's nice to stay away from the crazy tourism of white beach, but still be in easy walking distance from it.
The rooms (bungalows) are clean and breezy and the staff couldn't be nicer. The couple who run the place know everything there is to know about Boracay and are happy to play tour guide. We found it very affordable, and enjoyed the daily breakfast which was inclusive in our room rate.
If your looking for a place with fabulous views, away from the crowd, with personal service then I would highly recommend Ralph's Place.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Boracay, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Pros:
- Good only for kitesurfers who are staying with Funboard Center, Ocean Republic, Timog or Isla schools, but other schools are quite far to walk to, compared to alternative accomodation.
- Nice shared garden area (which can be noisy if the neighbors decide to host a party)

Cons:
- near to Bulabog beach which is very ugly and definitely not for swimming
- Very poor location. 20 minutes walk from D'mall. 30 minutes walk from White Beach. No shared tricycles are available, so you have to walk every time.
- Poor service: their staff provide very limited cleaning services or assistance. Most of the time, they are just standing outside your window trying to get a peek.
- Poor quality: furnishings are very uncomfortable to sit in, the bed sheets are at least 10 years old and full of stains and holes
- Average/expensive pricing: At a rate of 25,000 pesos per month, the rate is a bit higher than the average 15,000 pesos per month. Water/electricity not included.
- Surprise expenses such as internet which is added on top of your bill

Incidents:
- the owner has a lot of dogs that would bark loudly just outside my window every night and wake us up
- our clothes became spotted with rust due to a leak in the ceiling
- when I asked the maid to delay the change of bedsheets by one day, the owner yelled at me and told me that cleaning services were not included
- construction noise made the garden area annoying to stay in

and worst of all: in one occation, one of the staff actually stood still outside the window and stared at my girlfriend who was inside the house wearing a bra (there are no curtains for that side of the house)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

We stayed at Ralph's place for 6 nights in january 2012. It offered good value, gorgeous bungalows with amazing views. The bungalows were fairly clean, reasonable size (we had 3 people but were out a lot) and surrounded by lovely gardens and big balcony overlooking the sea. The beds were comfortable and there was a nice outdoor setting to eat breakfast overlooking the sea in our bungalow, plus a fridge to keep drinks in. They have gorgeous dogs that we loved playing with although they bark a little at night, but only woke our friend awake a few times and she is a light sleeper. They do a lovely breakfast each morning which is reasonably priced and also stock the fridge with basic drinks. The owner Ralph is friendly and happy to give advice on sight seeing etc. The beach the bungalow fronts onto, isn't what we expected but it grew on us with a cool vibe, provided by the kite surfing scene (a beautiful sight to see with all the kites in the air from the balcony). We didn't swim in this beach as could get a bit untidy with rubbish unfortunately but white beach was a short walk away (about 10 mins) or a cheap trycicle away. Also if you aren't fit the stairs could be an issue, a lot to get up to the bungalows but well worth it for the view! Definitely recommend staying here! We would have stayed longer if we weren't travelling through other cities/islands etc.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

I just came back from my 3 weeks Asia holiday with my boyfriend. Ralph's place is the place we stayed during the 6 days in Boracay, and it is definately the place that I will recommended to all my friend as it display the best nature beauty of Boracay without the heavy $$ tag.
Location: Ralph's place is situated at Bolablog beach (not sure the spelling), but only about 15 - 20 mins walk to the main beach or about 5 mins tricycle ride. However if people don't like stair and likely to get really really drunk...it might not the best place as the place is high up in a small slope hill side so there is about 80 steps that you need to over come...but ladies..if you are a bit tipsy you can always ask your man to carry you up the stairs...give them a chance to show themselve:p (j/k)
Service: The place is family owned and run by a Swiss couple so the simple europen style breakfast each morning is definately a good change for all the grill seafoods that we have consumed throughout the day. As we went during the low season the services there is definately 5 stars...with laundary service available.
Cleanest: Cleaning is pretty much every day and we are definately impressed with the cleanest.
Last but not least is the breath taking view....due to its high advantage...and the open design of the navie hub house, we can enjoy the magnificant sunrise from your bed!!! I like to thanks Ralph's place as it made a perfect fullstop in our Asia trip!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Ralph's Place? Share your experiences!