“Great fun with fellow travellers” 5 of 5 stars

Frendz Resort Boracay
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   Boat station 1 | White Beach, 5487, Philippines   |
Ranked #14 of 132 hotels in Boracay
london
“Great fun with fellow travellers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I didn't stay in the most cost effective room by going solo, and it was a very steep cost for one person in the double room, but I am glad I did to have my own space but also be able to meet all the travellers too.

Frendz is a really nice place - the staff are lovely and put up with a lot of our drunken behaviour, the food was decent enough, the rooms were nice and Boracay is actually a very sweet place which, at night, has the tendancy to become completely crazy!

I stayed from 21st April for 4 nights and met some of the funniest people of my travels so far, ring of fire, drunken dancing, B52's, Summer Club and Epic - good times :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

241 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Indonesian first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

How often does the owner of a place come out to greet you with a smile upon arrival? How often do you get a free welcome beer? FRENDZ is one place you'll make great memories if you love to meet new people and share good conversation. I stayed here in 1999 and loved it, always wanting to return. Feb 2013, finally came back with my family but there were new owners. I loved the old owners but new owner, Reinhardt was even more so friendly, his beautiful wife and family - the entire staff are so very non-stop accomodating. My family got sick prior to our arrival and unfortunately, were only starting to feel better the night before we left. It was great to have the FRENDZ restaurant right outside our cottage, felt just like home. Reinhardt gave us recommendations for restaurants, activities, and even local info for doctors. Met lots of people from around the world. If you like to engage in good conversation with fellow travelers, feel at home away from home then come to FRENDZ. It's like visiting your friends house. Some of the little things people complain about are just little things. If you want to be a tourist, come and go, then stay at the fancy places. FRENDZ puts the sweetness into the real travel experience. We'll definitely return,..healthy

Room Tip: Pay for the ammenities you want. Most travelers here don't stay in their rooms. We loved relaxin...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Just walked in without any reservation and luckily there were vacancies. Stayed in a mixed dorm with my friend for 2 nights (wish we stayed longer), great value for money, met new "Frendz", good location (Just 2-3 mins walk to the beach) and excellent staff! I even got free beer on my last night because they told me they seldom see Filipino guests aha!

Already planning to go back in 2 months. So see you! Cheers!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Makati, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We booked a room for 6 people. But I feel it is better to book to hotels, guest houses or inns that is nearer the beach.

The hostel is great if you are out to make new friends. Everyone is there non-filipinos are friendly. The staff is also friendly. But if you are out to have fun with your already existing friends, book another hotel.

They don't have aircon and that is not good for summer.

Room Tip: No A/C for all rooms
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

(Context: I had my accommodation taken care of even before I got my ticket, but after a mix up, I lost it. So, there I was on the bus that just left Manila bound for Clark Airport, with no room reservation, a low batt iPad and mobile phone. Surfed the net for rooms and tada! A friend called with a suggestion and I searched up the place, read a bit about it and checked the reservation policies - which needed downpayment. But, I still got the number nonetheless and sent a message inquiring if I can reserve a bed (I went for the dorm room rather than a room all to myself). Then my iPad died. Soon after, they gave me a call to confirm my reservation and after putting the phone down, my battery died.)

Upon arrival in Frendz, I went to the reception with 3 other travelers from France and were oriented on the policies including the valuables deposit (which I utilized everyday and I believe it's safe as I still have my iPad and stuff). And true enough, I had a reservation under my name and it was written on the board. I came alone but the staff was really friendly and welcoming, was offered my welcome drink and drank it at the common area where I sat and started talking to the people in the seat next to me, while waiting for my bed to be arranged.

The bed I rented (dorm type, so I shared with 5 other people) wasn't airconditioned, it just had 2 fans and since I'm not a very picky person, I'm fine with that. They do have airconditioned rooms that you rent but I never got to see what it was like.

The staff there don't just do their job to arrange reservations and maintenance, they really try to strike up a conversation with you, giving tips on what you want to do (be in kite surfing, finding the best food in the area, etc).

The common area is a place where you can use Wi-Fi (they have 2 access points) and can just literally strike a conversation with anyone because they're open to meeting new people. The place is so conducive to socializing and they have a good chill music selection. I heard there was happy hour and that it was fun but by that time, I was 'saved' by my friends and transferred to their place. (They also have a skim board you can borrow while other places rent them out!)

When I go back to Boracay, I will definitely stay here again rather than the other 2 places I stayed in during my 5 day stay in Boracay (I'll be writing reviews about them soon), simply because the atmosphere (the accommodating and friendly staff, the people who frequent that place) does more than make up for the lack of 5-star facilities. :)

Room Tip: If you're alone and not picky, a dorm room is good enough. Just rent a bed and make new friends...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

The resort is well located to get to White Beach (5mins walk down one straight path!) however, if you want to go to the main road to access the rest of the island (again about 5 mins walk) you have to walk through a dark little alley which didnt feel particularly safe to me! But this is SE Asia, which is pretty safe I guess. And if you just want to go to the beach it won't be a problem.

The rooms are like large huts made from wicker/wood. Our room was number 11. If they try give you this refuse it!! No air con, just a fan. And then as we were leaving the fan broke!! On 2 nights we awoke to find these weird flies on our bed! There were ants in the shower too.

If you're used to SE Asia you probably know that insects are everywhere so if that doesn't bother you then book this place as its cheap!! If it does bother you, stay in a building made from actual brick and concrete on the beach front!

Also, there was no wifi in the room! We had to go to the crowded restaurant area each time we wanted to be on the net. Also, we were unable each night to get to the restaurant - always too full!

On plus side the staff (Joanna especially) have us a really friendly welcome. And they arranged the transfer from Kaliningrad to the resort door which was super convenient!

• Stayed April 2013
roserein, Owner at Frendz Resort Boracay, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. Just a few comments from our side: 1) Your major complaint was that we do not have aircondition in our rooms. You booked a room with no aircon, note that we have different room types which can be booked: one with aircon and another one without aircon. 2) The other complaint related to bugs: The island gets infiltrated 2-3 times a year with ‘termite flies’ for a couple of days. Usually in the months of April/May or Oct/November, even sometimes beachfront areas are affected. Whenever this occurs we are using some insect sprays to reduce the issue like all the hotels are doing. However, we also try to limit the usage to ensure a healthy environment. 3) No wifi in the room, yes you are right. We do not claim to have wifi in the rooms, it is only in our restaurant/bar area.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed my last three nights at boracay at FRENDz after reading all the reviews i was wondering what kind of place was it! and yes! is a super friendly, cozy and u meet people from everywhere and is cheap!.
Is located in the middle of station 1,2 is a 3minutes wlaking from the beach (from an alley next to Toast wine bar). is close and far from the noise and they have sunbeds in fron of the beach were u can realx and swim.
They have happy hour and live music som nights. free wifi.
I stayed at the mix dorms during the holy week... the hostel seem be super packed and busy but i manage to get a bed.
There was no ac a the room.... there was one day i woke up all sweating coz it was so hot.
Staff was super friendly and will help u we the information u need.
Ill defenitly come back to this place!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Frendz Resort Boracay? Share your experiences!