“Dave's Straw Hat Inn is the place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dave's Straw Hat Inn

and 1 more site!
You added Dave's Straw Hat Inn to your Saves list
Dave's Straw Hat Inn
Sitio Angol, Manoc Manoc | Malay Aklan , 5608, Aklan Province 1265, Philippines   |
Ranked #3 of 134 Hotels in Boracay
Daejeon, South Korea
“Dave's Straw Hat Inn is the place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

First of all, for all you get, the price is unbeatable! It was a lot cheaper than lots of other hotels that we looked at. The staff at Dave's Straw Hat Inn is incredibly nice. I really liked their pancakes. They also have a unique drink called "mango tea". If you get tired of mango shakes, you should try their mango tea. It is very refreshing.

You can only get wireless internet in their lobby. You can get about one bar in your room. The best way to deal with this problem is to go to D-Mall in Boracay... at station 2. You can get a sim card / wireless internet for really cheap. It is called "Globe"... at D-Mall. Just look for the globe store. I did not even know you could do this until it was my last day. However, since I have an internet addiction, it was probably best that I could only get wireless in the lobby. In the lobby you can get full bars. As a traveler, and a previous hotel employee with holiday inn, I know how important wireless internet is to customers.

Dave's Straw hat has amazing plant life growing all over the property. It feels like you are sleeping in a jungle. It is an awesome feeling.

The hotel is very quiet, for those who value their peace. You do not hear chickens in the morning (you do at some hotels in boracay). It is a very peaceful place.

Mosquitoes are bad around the property, but this is the case everywhere in Boracay. Management does a fantastic job of keeping the mosquitoes at bay. They light candles all over the property that help drive the mosquitoes away. They also put out these stove top spiral things that also help keep away the mosquitoes. Once again, do not let this keep you from staying here... mosquitoes are a problem all over the island. If anything, Dave's does the best job of keeping them away from all the other places I have been.

My only problem with Dave's is it's location. It is far far away from the most popular restaurants at station 1 and station 2. However, that is the trade out you have to pay if you want a super quiet place. Even though it is far away from the clubs, and restaurants, I would definitely stat at the same place again. It is between 60 to 150 pesos to take a tricycle anywhere around the island.

Dave's shower pressure is low, but it is not so low that you go, "Wow, that is low!" I like super strong water pressure. It is more than enough pressure to take a quick shower. I would say the pressure is average. The pressure of an average shower. The pressure at my home comes out like a fire hose... so... I am used to pressure being super strong. The water pressure in El Nido... in Palawan... is super super bad. I was not disappointed with the water pressure, I just wish it had of been a tad bit stronger. This was a very minor inconvenience, but I thought it was worth noting. Once again, this issue would definitely not keep me from staying there again. I have not found a hotel in boracay that had really strong pressure anyways... granted... I have only stayed at two other hotels. For the island itself, I would say the water pressure is above average.

The beds are very comfortable, and underneath the big bed is a pull out bed that will sleep one more. It worked great for two guys that were traveling together.

The television is really small, but we did not watch television much anyways. Instead we read books. They have a Great buy / sell / trade book selection at the front desk. I started reading the book "Crack House" when I was there. It was a fascinating book. It is still there if you want to read it.

The laundry service at Dave's is superb! They did a wonderful job of cleaning my laundry. I do not remember it being that expensive either. My clothes smelled super clean and fresh after they washed them. Excellent job! They use a dryer! They do not hang the clothes out to dry like they did in El Nido. You will be very impressed with their laundry service.

You can order massages to your room. In fact, the best massage that I got was in the room. I probably got at least 20 massages while I was in boracay... and the best one I had was the one that I ordered to the room. I asked the front desk if I could get a "hard" massage. I like it when somebody massages me with lots of pressure. She did a great job and got out all of the knots in my back and shoulders.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again. Not every hotel is perfect, but Dave's Straw Hat Inn came very close. The next time I come to Boracay, I will make a reservation here in advance. Dave's Straw hat is a wonderful hotel! I have spent 8 years of my life working in the hotel industry, and I know how hard it is to provide the level of service that Dave's Straw hat puts out. You will not be disappointed with this hotel. Thanks Dave's Straw Hat Inn for a great stay!

Brad Craig

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

When I just got Dave's Straw Hat Inn, they just knew who I am and called my name. It makes me really comfortable and happy. And, they offered me upgrade room which is bigger one.
Air-conditioner and Wi-Fi worked very very well !
I had Chicken Adobo and garlic rice in Dave's Straw Hat Inn and it was so delicious! I've had same foods at other restaurants, but Dave's Straw Hat Inn Adobo and garlic rice was the best! You should try this one!
It was little far from crowded places(Station 1 & Station 2), but it is really good place to read a book by the beach(with a bottle of beer) :)
And my flight was very early in the morning, I left here 5 AM and a staff helped me to carry my luggage to tricycle place! Thank you so much again.

Of course I'd like to stay Dave's Straw Hat Inn later!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I am sure Straw Hat Inn offers you special memories of Boracay. The one of the most surprising things is that the staffs are so nice. they help me whenever I want. For example, they gave me a lot of information like marine activities, good restaurants, spa and so on. Even though you come Boracay without any plan, you do not need to worry since the staffs give you advice.
Although other hotels may have clean rooms and nice locations too, I am sure there is not hotel like Straw Hat Inn where staffs are so kind of travelers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Clean and cozy rooms, air-con and WIFI worked fine, excellent value, a little bit away and less crowded than the beachfront of Station 2 (just bring an umbrella if you're going in wet season!), hearty home-cooked Philippino meals. What else can you ask for? Thanks Janet and team for a wonderful stay.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Dave's Straw Inn is a perfect place for budget travellers. I stayed here for two nights and they were very accomdating. It met my basic standards of clean and safe.

I was a bit weary since I was travelling alone coming down the alley to the hotel at night but I felt very safe.

It is a good 15 minute walk to where all of the action is in Station 2; I had expected bike cabs but the beach isnt designed for it so I had to walk. However, if you like a quiet piece of the beach, its only a 2 minute walk to get there.

I stayed in the Bird's Nest. The air conditioning worked perfectly and the room had a fan.

My biggest issue would have been the wifi. In my room the wifi was quite weak and did need to use it. At time I found myself close to the window holding my phone in the air hoping for a signal.

Due its distance from station 2, Im not sure if I would stay again as a single person however I would highly recommend Dave's Straw Hat Inn.

I also met and became friends with other folks staying there so that was the highlight. Since it is a smaller resort, I was able to meet and become friends with people.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Broadbeach, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Being the first time in the Phillippines we weren't sure what to expect. Staying at Dave's however gave us an instant sense of how amazingly accommodating and friendly the Filipino people are. We were taken straight to our room on arrival without even having to go to reception and say who we were! We also enjoyed coming home every day with our room cleaned and a different 'towel decoration' on our bed each day! The cottage was very clean and such good value for money. We would definitely not hesitate to stay at Dave's again. Thanks so much.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Dave's Straw Hat Inn on Boracay does not disappoint return visitors. Had another wonderful stay there in July and was welcomed back by staff like family. On the quiet end of White Beach and situated a very short walk off the beach in the trees the Inn is a pleasant assortment of cabins and rooms with a wonderful staff and excellent value. A great place to relax and the kitchen produces nice food and drinks. Highly recommended for people who like nice places to stay off the beaten track.

Room Tip: If you need air conditioning specify a room with that - although I find you rarely need it.