“Lovely, just what we wanted!” 5 of 5 stars

Dave's Straw Hat Inn
Sitio Angol, Manoc Manoc | Malay Aklan , 5608, 1265, Philippines   |
Ranked #2 of 131 hotels in Boracay
Nottingham UK
“Lovely, just what we wanted!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We went to Boracay for 3 nights at the start of November 2012, for our first wedding anniversary. Obviously there are loads of resorts competing for everyone's business, and for me (being based in the UK) I was looking for somewhere which stood out from the beginning, to take the worry away of whether we would arrive and like the place or not... and the reviews on here for Dave's Straw Hat Inn were enough for me.
Dave's was everything I was looking for - for a start the booking process was very easy and being able to pay in advance using Paypal was a big plus - even the door-to-door transfer from the plane to the room was arranged and paid for in advance, which worked like a dream and on the day all we had to do was sit back and enjoy! The transfer from Caticlan was as quick and easy as possible and very well arranged by Dave's.
Some of the reviews on here have mentioned the rooms being basic, however we were very pleased with what we had here, I think it was the biggest type of room and it was actually nicer than I was expecting, clean and a nice bathroom, we didn't even see so much as a single bug in the room. The mini-bar was a nice touch especially being priced the same as in the outside world instead of what alot of places do with rip-off prices.
My only issue was that it was further than I expected from the more lively areas of Station 2 and beyond - we did alot of walking! - however as long as you know this then it should not be a problem, and of course you get the benefits of being a bit out of the way and a bit of peace and quiet. At night we got a tricycle back a couple of times, which saved alot of time although I did feel sorry for the poor bloke trying to cycle with 2 of us.
There is actually a nice bit of beach right out of Dave's, the first place you get to when you get to the beach ie 1 minute walk from Daves, we spent a couple of afternoons at Chantels beach bar which did the most beautiful buko shakes and had a great sunbathing and swimming spot.
The staff were great, we didn't get round to any 'activities' but it was clear that if you do want to do that stuff then the staff can arrange good deals for you - which is good to know when there are so many people on Boracay trying to sell you the same activities.
Generally, highly recommend the place, do bear in mind that this is not located anywhere near Station 2, but the great value and fantastic staff more than made up for this. Oh and don't even think about trying to eat the pancakes on your own - we just about managed them between 2!
Would not hesitate to go back - thanks very much!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

656 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Korean first
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed here for six nights in September and before we came, I checked Trip Advisor and based my decision on where to stay in Boracay solely on the reviews I found. Dave's Straw Hat stood out because it was one of the cheapest places advertised but was ranked #2. I thought something must be special if a place that simple can beat out all of the 5 star places. I can say that Dave's pretty much lived up to the hype, as long as you go in expecting that the low price you are paying is going to mean that your room is simple and not of 5 star quality. The room that we stayed in met our needs. It was a bit small but clean, had some highly entertaining American cable TV (didn't know Doomsday Preppers was actually a show), towels made into interesting shapes each day, and a shower that stayed hot for as long as you wanted!! We also had a little porch with a couple of chairs and mosquito coils that the staff would light at night which added to the night ambiance. It was nice that Dave's also has a restaurant so when you are not quite ready to walk down to Boat Station 2, you can walk five feet and order a full breakfast from the Dave's crew for a reasonable price. The mango iced tea and banana shakes were the best!! The best thing about Dave's though is the customer service! Janet exchanged several emails with me before we even arrived to help us with payment and questions that we had about getting to Dave's from Manila. She responded every time quicker than most of my family members. It was a bit difficult for our motorela driver to find Dave's but once we arrived, the Dave's crew made sure to learn our names and greet us every time we came down for breakfast or came back from the beach. You really feel like you are staying with a family with the space and comfort of staying in your own place. I have never stayed somewhere where the staff took such good care to learn my name and take a leaving photo with me. It was a nice touch. The Dave's staff will even arrange water/sports activities, massages, and transportation for you if you request it. They were very helpful with everything.

Two further tips for you if make it to Boracay and stay at Dave's:
1) It is a bit of walk but if you walk up the back path just behind Dave's, past the Orchids Resort, and up the hill to the main road, turn right on the main road, and walk for another three minutes or so, you will see a break in the trees, which is actually the entrance to the Mandala Spa & Villas, a five star resort complex with a wide variety of massages on offer. Though they are pricey, if you really want to treat yourself to an amazing luxury massage/spa package that is walking distance from Dave's, I would highly recommend booking a treatment there!
2) With the money you save by staying at Dave's Straw Hat Inn, eat a nice meal at one of the amazing restaurants near the 5 star hotels at Boat Station 1 (at least one night) . I really recommend the Kasbah restaurant.

Thank you so much for everything Dave's Straw Hat crew! We would love to come back some day!

Becky and Chuck

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

It was actually what happened before I even arrived that made this place tops in my book. Janet was not just helpful with my reservation and what I wanted done, but she went over the top and gave me suggestions as well as setting things up before I even arrived....and this is what makes this place different than any other place I have ever been..not just Janet but the entire staff are over the top helpful..if you didn't know better you would think you were staying with family..the room was nice and is a three minute walk from the beach which is great....depending on the room, it can be small, but it was what I wanted for my trip and fit into my plans.. I will return and I look forward to seeing the entire Dave's Crew again!!!!

Room Tip: Had a small room which was great for two people, and the prices can not be beat..next time will get...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I can see why this place is #2 in Boracy, it should be #1, the rooms are not 5 star at all, the location is not the best, but the rest is first class, Dave and his wife and the staff sure know how to treat guests, they are not trying to be 5 star, and are not charging for 5 star either, you get what you pay for, here you get more in my opinion

One tip, don't even think of staying at the Blue Mango if Dave's Straw Hat Inn is full, it is also rated high, most of the reviews can not be accurate, possibly written by the owner of friends of the owner (no other explanation for the positive reviews) Dave's is a way better place for the same price, rooms and service are 10000 times better at Dave's than anywhere else in Boracay.

The only big problem here is you have to book well in advance or you will not get a room, they are often fully booked, be warned, don't just show up, you will not get a room most of the time!!

Room Tip: don't stay in the room by the front desk, to much noise and close to all the commotion, if you d...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
cayman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here last September 2012.. we loved it.. the staff are very helpful they will try and do everything for you.. Will assist on everything you need. the location was perfect it wasn't crowded unlike in station 1&2.. it's only 15 mins walk to station 1&2 anyway.. Bars beach resto and shops are 2 mins away.

• Stayed September 2012
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

You choose Dave's not for its location or rooms but for its value and friendliness.

Honestly I'm not at all impressed by the rooms, the equipment or amenities. If you're lucky to have deluxe room, you'll probably enjoy your stay a lot more. But they have only about a dozen units, so they're almost always fully booked thanks to the rave reviews. It'd be a good idea to book months in advance, even during the low rainy season.

The place is not far from the beach but still a pretty boring walk, especially during the rain. I unfortunately visited Boracay during the rainy season which made a whole lot difference. It was rainy and windy, the beach was dirty and the road was messy. I think Boracay is way overrated compared with other beaches such as Phuket in Thailand. The dry season might make the difference. But I digress...

What sets this place apart is the people. They're so nice that they can take care of everything for you. They arrange for your activities and get you a good price. They take you to wherever the activities take place and keep you safe. Don't forget to pay for their return fare. They make you nice meals and keep you entertained. And they always smile. Really nice people!

Room Tip: book way in advance for a deluxe room; don't go with standard, it's too small
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I have just finished a weeks stay at Daves and loved every minute.
From the second we arrived the staff were so warm and friendly ,doing everything they could to make us feel welcome.
Daves is a minutes walk from the beach on station 3, it's nice and quiet at night and was the perfect location for us.
Rooms were great, very clean and tidy with all you need,good air conditioning with a ceiling fan too,so rooms always nice and cool,cheap mini bar too, items cost the same as in the shops!!!
We will definitely be going back to Borocay in the future and we are both very much looking forward to staying at Daves again.
Also,they can book things like sailing trips,diving etc a lot cheaper than you can find with the vendors,so don't waste all day haggling,bok through them.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Dave's Straw Hat Inn? Share your experiences!