We stayed here for six nights in September and before we came, I checked Trip Advisor and based my decision on where to stay in Boracay solely on the reviews I found. Dave's Straw Hat stood out because it was one of the cheapest places advertised but was ranked #2. I thought something must be special if a place that simple can beat out all of the 5 star places. I can say that Dave's pretty much lived up to the hype, as long as you go in expecting that the low price you are paying is going to mean that your room is simple and not of 5 star quality. The room that we stayed in met our needs. It was a bit small but clean, had some highly entertaining American cable TV (didn't know Doomsday Preppers was actually a show), towels made into interesting shapes each day, and a shower that stayed hot for as long as you wanted!! We also had a little porch with a couple of chairs and mosquito coils that the staff would light at night which added to the night ambiance. It was nice that Dave's also has a restaurant so when you are not quite ready to walk down to Boat Station 2, you can walk five feet and order a full breakfast from the Dave's crew for a reasonable price. The mango iced tea and banana shakes were the best!! The best thing about Dave's though is the customer service! Janet exchanged several emails with me before we even arrived to help us with payment and questions that we had about getting to Dave's from Manila. She responded every time quicker than most of my family members. It was a bit difficult for our motorela driver to find Dave's but once we arrived, the Dave's crew made sure to learn our names and greet us every time we came down for breakfast or came back from the beach. You really feel like you are staying with a family with the space and comfort of staying in your own place. I have never stayed somewhere where the staff took such good care to learn my name and take a leaving photo with me. It was a nice touch. The Dave's staff will even arrange water/sports activities, massages, and transportation for you if you request it. They were very helpful with everything.
Two further tips for you if make it to Boracay and stay at Dave's:
1) It is a bit of walk but if you walk up the back path just behind Dave's, past the Orchids Resort, and up the hill to the main road, turn right on the main road, and walk for another three minutes or so, you will see a break in the trees, which is actually the entrance to the Mandala Spa & Villas, a five star resort complex with a wide variety of massages on offer. Though they are pricey, if you really want to treat yourself to an amazing luxury massage/spa package that is walking distance from Dave's, I would highly recommend booking a treatment there!
2) With the money you save by staying at Dave's Straw Hat Inn, eat a nice meal at one of the amazing restaurants near the 5 star hotels at Boat Station 1 (at least one night) . I really recommend the Kasbah restaurant.
Thank you so much for everything Dave's Straw Hat crew! We would love to come back some day!
Becky and Chuck
- Also Known As:
- Dave`s Straw Hat Hotel
- Dave`s Straw Hat Hotel Boracay
- Daves Straw Hat Boracay
- Daves Straw Hat Hotel
- Daves Straw Hat Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Charming Resting Place, which offers a serene and intimate tropical nirvana, located less than a minutes walk to the beautiful Boracay Island "white" beach. Allow the staff to cater to your needs while you spoil yourself in the beauty of Boracay. Enjoy the family atmosphere and those amenities that most big Boracay resorts offer without the high prices. We have been referred to as the "best budget hotel on Boracay," but without skimping on the comforts. ... more less