“The most amazing hospitality I'ved ever experienced” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dave's Straw Hat Inn

and 1 more site!
You added Dave's Straw Hat Inn to your Saves list
Dave's Straw Hat Inn
Sitio Angol, Manoc Manoc | Malay Aklan , 5608, Aklan Province 1265, Philippines   |
Ranked #5 of 137 Hotels in Boracay
Canberra, Australia
“The most amazing hospitality I'ved ever experienced”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

If five star facilities and huge resorts come second to welcoming and helpful staff, quiet leafy gardens, quaint rooms and a great price then you must stay at Dave's. The staff make this place number 1 in Boracay!

The staff are always smiling and genuinely enjoy their job and making you feel like family. They bought a cake for our friends who just married (the nicest gesture!), helped in any way possible and even sent us a follow up email asking if we arrived safely in our next destination, and saying freckles (the cute family) dog will miss us. Awww I miss freckles too.

Thanks to everyone at Dave's for making our group holiday so easy and enjoyable, we will definitely be back in years to come. Ma'am Lindsey and Sir Craig :-)

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

Dave's Straw Hat Inn would have to have the best service of any place I have stayed. When you arrive you're met with a smile and one of their famous ice teas. They all remember you by name and are always happy to help out in any way possible. If you want to partake in any of the activities in Boracay or arrange a pick up at 4am to get to an early flight, they're happy to help you out and get the best price possible.

The food here is great. If you decide to order the pancakes, make sure you have a friend to help you finish them because they are huge. The rest of the food is great too.

As for the accommodation, the bathroom was very clean and the room has plenty of space and a very comfortable bed. The air-conditioning was good too, although a little loud (as seems to be the case in all budget accommodation).

Location-wise, I think this place is perfect. You walk down a maze of cute little alleyways to get there so it's far enough back from the beach that you don't get any noise at night. But you're still close to all the action. Our friends booked some really nice accommodation with stunning views and facilities, but they missed out on being close to the action.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

My sister and I stayed at Dave's Straw Hat Inn for our time in Boracay and it was probably the best decison that we made. We were very warmly welcomed upon our arrival and made to feel very welcome throughout our entire stay. The mango ice tea that were were offered on our first day was probably one of the best drinks we had ever had and the pancakes were irresistable. The staff were lovely and attentive and were easily willing and able to assist us with any of our requests such as organising our transfers and booking our island hopping trip. The rooms were clean and subsequently cleaned daily...with small touches such as our towels being folded as different animals on each day and for bug repellant candles to be lit on out balconies whenever we were there. The only drawback we felt was that it was located near boat station 3 and that this meant that we did quite a bit of walking, but by the second day we were greatly to be able to avoid the more chaotic areas of Boracay and actually felt that the beach in this area was more pleasant. I would have no hesitation to recommend Dave's Straw Hat Inn to anybody wanting a laid back and comfortable experience of Boracay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

We have been in the Philippines for a wedding, we started our trip on cebu staying at the movenpick hotel. We moved onto boracay on the Sunday and we stayed at saves straw hat, as we arrived we were greeted by smiling people who were so polite and also handed us one of there famous mango ice tea which was unbelievable, the rooms were magnificent, bathrooms so clean. Everything we needed was catered for in this hotel, people were so friendly. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

The hotel is tucked behind the main beach path near boat station 3. The garden has a really nice atmosphere and the service is very personal.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Incheon, Incheon, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

When I hear "budget," I hear "no frills," but that was not the case with Dave's. They go above and beyond in terms of service. I'll list below.

GETTING THERE: I was worried about all the crazy transfers I heard people have to do in order to get to Boracay (airplane transfer to tricycle/jeep rides to a boat to another jeep), so I asked them if they can book the transfers from Caticlan to Boracay for us--they got us a guide to pick us up from the airport and deliver us safely to our room, from an airconditioned van to a boat to another airconditioned van to walking us to the very front door of the Inn.

FOOD: They have good traditional Filipino breakfasts like longanisa with eggs and garlic fried rice, tapsilog, and BBQ chicken omelets, as well as the famous mango pancakes, and fresh fruit drinks. It takes them a little while to prepare, especially if other groups of people happen to order right before you, so what I did was order and then get ready for the day in my room and have them notify me when the meal is ready. Also, they got my boyfriend a birthday cake and surprised him with it shortly after we had arrived.

STAFF & ACTIVITIES: The staff was very warm and professional the entire time. The room was always kept very clean, but somehow a small army of ant flies got in one night. When I freaked out they immediately attended to the matter and put me at ease.

They also seemed well connected with the activities available on the island. My boyfriend and I did the island hopping tour of Crocodile Island, Crystal Cove, and Puka Beach for 500 (or 600, I think) pesos each through Daves booking. This is great because people on the main strip were quoting us for MUCH more. I wish we could have reserved helmet diving and cliff diving from Ariels point through them. I'm sure they would have given us the best price.

ROOM QUALITY & SERVICES: We stayed in Room #7, which is conveniently right next to the breakfast/front desk area. Very clean.The bed was soft and cozy...the top cushion reminded me of those Tempur-Pedic beds. The airconditioning wall unit was fine, with a ceiling fan that helped distribute the cool air. They have cable television. Fully stocked fridge with water and soft drinks with small charges added to your bill at the end of your stay. There's also a front porch to hang out on. They put out a mosquito coil on the porch and lit a tea candle to keep the bugs away, which is a nice touch. Bathroom was basic, but did the job. You pay a small rental fee to use beach towels, which is fine. We also ordered an in-room couples massage for 400 pesos.

LOCATION: it's a very short walk to the beach and away from the noise and crowds of Station 2. That's a major plus. But the masseuses that call out to you on the path to the beach as well as the ones parked at the entrance to the beach are a little too persistent. I understand that they need to make a living, but I know they recognize me after my walking past several times and having politely said no already (but this is no fault of Dave's...just noting it for people reading reviews).

Also, Dave's offers a discount with the nearby restaurant, Blue Mango. Not worth it. There are so many other places to try with good food and my boyfriend and I felt like the food we had at Blue Mango was so-so. I was looking forward to their mahi mahi on the menu. They didn't have it. So I got the pork chops instead. Too breaded. The boyfriend remarked that the burger he got wasn't anything special.

So, aside from the stuff that's outside of Dave's control, I had a pleasant time and would definitely come back.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room #7, which is conveniently right next to the breakfast/front desk area.
Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

This was the best choice for sure. Quiet, clean, comfortable, value for money. All you need for holidays. Location is perfect, 15 mins walk form d`mall ( that i don`t recommend - too crowded and the food on very medium level.) If you came to relax this is the right place. I suggest going left along the beach not so many "massage sir maam" or "glasses glasses, sunglasses" and restaurants more cosy and pleasant. As far as Dave is concerned - the people working there..amazing. Extremly friendly and helpful, I want to thank Jessica for saving my skin with ice and fan! If we were to come back - definitely here: becasue of the hospitality of people working there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dave's Straw Hat Inn? Share your experiences!