“Very bad location, no free shuttle service, poorly-maintained grounds and facilities” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Panoly Resort Hotel

You added The Panoly Resort Hotel to your Saves list
The Panoly Resort Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Punta Bunga | Malay, Aklan, Aklan Province 5608, Philippines   |
Ranked #131 of 138 Hotels in Boracay
Manila
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel to avail ourselves of the timeshare which we bought so many years ago. We were actually booked in another hotel along White Beach for a destination wedding, but had to share a room with another couple whom we didn't know, so while we used the other hotel during the day, we decided to book ourselves here so we can have a private place to sleep at night.
The room itself was okay, it was spacious, had two double beds, cable tv and the usual bathroom amenities. Our room had a balcony which overlooked the grounds, and since the hubby smoked, this was ideal for us. The staff at the reception were friendly. I think these are the only positives about this hotel.
The hotel is located very far from White Beach. This should not have posed much of a problem except that it seems that hotel management is using this as a way to fleece their customers. There was a very old small open-sided vehicle which served as a shuttle to White Beach, but the shuttle schedule was very limited (just three times a day, I think) and even then we had to pay P100 each to use it. If you want to use the shuttle outside of their limited schedule you had to pay P500 each. And even if we were the only guests in the resort, we were told that the shuttle schedule is very strict and that they will not wait for us even for a few minutes. You practically have no choice in the matter, as the hotel can only be accessed by a dirt road which goes down a steep grade from the main road, which tricycles cannot navigate. Well, my husband and I actually walked up and down the steep dirt road a couple of times, just so we don't give the hotel management the benefit of the outrageous shuttle fee (and for the exercise!)
What was more outrageous was when we checked out and by necessity had to use the shuttle service since we had our luggage with us, we were made to wait 15 minutes in the shuttle because the owner's secretary was coming along. I blew my top about this since they had emphasized the strictness of the shuttle schedule and because of this we finally left without the secretary.
The grounds of the resort were poorly maintained, there were cracks in the walks and there were piles of old tables and chairs in what was supposed to be the restaurant beside the pool. The grounds have an air of decay,.
The beach itself has white sand, although it is just in a small cove and does not have the wide, shallow expanse of White Beach. At the time we were there there was green algae.
We didn't try the food at this "resort" (it can hardly be called that). You can get food via the beach, in two extreme ways. One is, if you go left, there is a small portion of the beach which is no longer part of the resort property and the people living there have a small sari-sari store and a small restaurant. You can buy drinks there and food.
If you go right, then you can go into the Shangri-La Boracay resort. It shares the same beach as Club Panoly, and their secutriy personnel will even call a golf-cart shuttle so you can be brought up to the hotel where there are so many excellent (but expensive, of course) restaurants. We ate at the Vintana, which had a wonderful dinner buffet.
Club Panoly was one of the first resorts on Boracay, but it seems that despite the new building which was added several years ago (which is where we stayed), it is now just a sorry shade of its old self. Don't stay there. There are so many other, more accessible and infinitely better hotels in Boracay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

no route out of the hotel. they dont have the right of way so you can go out and explore the island. basically youre stuck in the resort with your private beach.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

Booked through Agoda where I was automatically charged for the roundtrip transfers so I did not have a choice. I emailed the marketing office of Panoly in advance to arrange for my pick up and I did not get any reply on the first week so I have to call from Ireland before getting a reply. From the $20 for the transfer, I was asked an additional $10 per head since we are landing from Kalibo. Upon arriving in Kalibo, we were greeted by a porter and transferred us to a PUBLIC VAN! Not a tourist type or their own vehicle, but a van which actually pick up passengers from the road. The passengers are charged P100, while we were charged 5x! Then terminal fee and environmental fee is also not included. I was also charged for triple occupancy but no extra bed for the extra person. Likewise, you will be charged P150 if you want to get to Station 2 and P350 if special trip. When I requested for a special trip, I am suddenly asked for P500 if am later than 1130pm which the hotel did not bother to inform you before hand. It is only when you are making the call to book the special trip. The driver was also rude to say that he had been waiting for 10 minutes for us. It was a special trip so I did not understand the driver's tantrum. On our way home, they promised a better service. Lo and behold, they asked me to pay for the boat ride even though its included in the $30 and the guide is late. Can it be anymore worse? But yes, it was. The pool of the hotel is so blue that you know its only treated with chlorine but water is never replaced. We booked at the most peak season of the year! If they can not replace it during this period, then it could have been worse for the rest of the year. Food servings is also small. Am so frustrated, stressed and tired after this incident. And yes, no elevator, no safe in box. If I did not have it on prepay, I would have check out the following day just like some guests did!!!! Horrible nightmare!!! Its unfortunate that we spent our Christmas vacation there!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

This was my worst hotel experience ever!!!. The hotel's website is very misleading. The hotel needs an overall update into this century. No wi-fi, no safe in rooms, elevator not working. Main road to hotel was closed due to debris and you had to walk down this steep gravel and dirt laden road and at night by flashlight. This was not safe at all and several of us slipped but avoided a major fall and tumble. The pool was very dingy and bugs floating freely in the water. The grounds need major lawn care. The said bungalows are in need of much work. My first walk onto the grounds were very un-impressive and it went down from there. Transportation to the main island is not catered to the guest. I only spent one night there. "NOT GREAT"

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
maple, ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

I will never go back to this resort. The service sucks! Staff are very unorganized and needs a really good training on customer service. We ran out of water at one point while one my friends was taking a shower. As for the beach, he water is cold as compared to the water at the Beach area 1. The beach itself is filled with stones that can easily harm the soles of your feet. I regretted booking that place for my friends and I to enjoy our holiday after 5 years of not being together, I thought I could bring them to a nice place. But club panoly and and its staff ruined everything! The triple AAA and 4 star hotel they have been bragging about in their website are completely fake and a big hoax! Please spare yourself from all the hassle and headache!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Klhei Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

The workers, like all the people in the Phillippines, are very nice people. The place is a complete dump. Entered in evening through a back dirt road. Had to climb through barb wire barely avoiding serious injury. no maid service, swimming pool half full, no shuttle service(website says every 10 minutes). If you want to go enjoy the town be back by 6:00pm on their boat or prepare to enter through a barb wire fence. Terrible location away from town - looks like it was very nice in the 70's! Want 5000 peso cash deposit, internet access is very diffucult(lobby only) and our room had bugs. 3 night and no clean towels. This is hard to write because I like the staff, Owner is a crook!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

I have been to many islands in thailand so this time we picked Boracay, plus someone recommended this place.The best part of this hotel is their beachfront. You really get a whole beach to yourself and the water is very clear, good for snorkling or diving. For me i prefer just sunbathing. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. The hotel provides free shuttle service to the shopping bazaar on the other side of the town, you can buy local food & some local made crafts. The resort is like a big garden, a lot of space to walk around and relax, friendly staff.It s a very romantic destination for couples.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple