but...the resort it's beautifully situated (not on a beach you'd spend any time on though). And the quirkiness of it all is definitely interesting (all made out of bamboo).
But....and actually, it should be a BUT with capital letters. There are quite a few things about Spider House Resort that really disappointed us (and we have travelled a lot in Asia and stayed in various different hotels and standards)
- The breakfast is OK...by the end of our stay we actually just ordered the fruit platter (which wasn't even on the breakfast menu and included in the price)
- The whole place is completely made out of bamboo. Looks pretty indeed, but noise DOES travel through the walls of your room. We had to sleep with ear plugs and we still woke up many times every night and early morning.
- getting to/and from the resort. It is situated and sits at the end of a cliff. It is a nightmare getting there (and when checking out) with your suitcase as you have to drag it (or carry it) about 500 meters on the beach and then up a staircase to get to the resort. It takes about 15 min by tricycle to get to the main part of the beach (where you will stay and spend time daily).
- The beach by the hotel, Diniwid Beach, will not be the beach you will spend any time on. Out of the main beach, White Beach, and the second beach, Puka Beach - this one, will not be your main choice when going to the beach. It is quite a lot of seaweed and pebbles and it really isn't a beach where you will lay down and relax on. You might go for a quick dip - but that's it (there isn't really any restaurants by the beach except the one up on the hill which you have to get into a bamboo made elevator to get too - definitely worth it!)
- The security guy working in the resort (not the younger looking boy) - was horrible. He was not even saying hello to us by the end of our stay (we stayed at the hotel for almost two weeks). This was due to the fact that we didn't book a tour through him which he got very angry about (we didn't say we were to book through him at any point).
- You have to ask the reception to clean the room and to get water to the room.
- There's no AC. The fan do help, but it could get really hot.
- The overall service was poor. It takes long to get served, it takes long to get food, the people working there are not really up to scratch and their ability to spot you in the restaurant is almost non existing.
....we also experienced two power cuts which lasted for a few hours, both times it happened in the morning which made it too warm to sleep and no breakfast either of these two days and most importantly; not even an apology from any of the team members. Maybe they should look into getting a backup generator? We spoke to quite a few other visitors on the island who stayed in other hotels and they didn't have a clue that there was a power cut (which obviously means that their hotel had some sort of backup).
The biggest downside of it all was the owner and general manager of this place. Staying here for almost two weeks and none of these two came up and said hello or even welcomed us to the place. And they were both around. One sitting by the bar 24/7, the other one walking around in the resort clearly more interested in doing other stuff than actually speaking to his guests. And the fact is that we were in contact with the general manager many times before our arrival - and he knew we had a 17 hour flight to get to the resort - but still couldn't even come up and say hi and welcome us. Absolutely appalling!!!
I would, actually, tell people to stay somewhere else. However, the resort is interesting, but the service is very far from standard and the food was not good at all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dive straight into the sea from our beachfront treehouse. Nestled on Diniwid Beach in Boracay and built literally over the sea. The Spider House enjoys a prime location, surrounded by clear waters and dazzling sunsets every night. All of our rooms are built in the traditional Filipino style with thatched roofs, using mainly bamboo and wood. They are spacious and come equipped with a fan and private balcony. Best of all are the views. There is a double bed in each room providing simple, comfortable accommodation for up to two people. Our Superior Rooms have their own private bathroom and shower with hot water in the rooms. We have free WiFi around the house so you can always keep in touch with the outside world and when you want to go swimming, you don’t have to go to the beach…the beach comes to you !!!Enjoy the various water activities like diving, snorkeling, sailing and kite surfing. Our terrace is ideal to relax and enjoy Boracay's tropical climate. The Spider House - a truly unique accommodation in a magical location. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Spider House Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Spider House Hotel Boracay