“Good food, good drank, great hospitality.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of MAMA's Bar, Restaurant, and Chillout Lounge

MAMA's Bar, Restaurant, and Chillout Lounge
Main Road, opposite Grand Vista Hotel, Hagdan, Yapak, Aklan Province, Philippines
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 211 Restaurants in Boracay
Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert
Santa Monica, California
“Good food, good drank, great hospitality.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Chill spot in Boracay worth visiting for schnitzel or some other Austrian/German grub. I had the chicken breast salad since after coming off a week of lots of pork parts. Lulz.

Anyway Marcus was very hospitable and the environment is laid back. We walked back to our hotel on the beach at night and it felt pretty safe.

BaM!

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Zhengzhou, China
“Delicious Austrian Food - a must-try at least once!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We arrived to be seated near the road, because the place was mostly full, but after a few people left, the owner and the waitress welcomed us further into the restaurant.

After a few drinks, we ordered the Sausage Platter, including 4 different types of sausage, some french fries, and a mouth-watering sour crout. We were also given lots of mustard, and when we told the owner we ate sausage so that we could eat mustard, he promptly left to give use a very special concoction of mustard and horse-radish that was super spicy and really brought out the flavor in the pork!

I LOVE German-style, hearty food, based around pork and potatoes. I travel a lot and always seek it out, so I eat a lot of pork platters. This one is no disappointment. In fact, it was absolutely delicious and satisfying. It was perfectly cooked, and with the beer and the mustard, it gave me my heavenly fill.

Furthermore, it is nearly impossible to find beer on tap on the island, but the owner found a way to get fresh brew of local beers into his restaurant (although he admitted supplies are not always consistent). It wasn't a European beer, but it was still from the tap, and it wasn't that bad. That only added to satisfying some of my many vices at Mama's Bar.

There are two things about the restaurant that some may complain about: location and atmosphere. To reach Mama's, you have to pry yourself away from the beach by about 10 minutes on the main road (driving). Once you get there, you will notice it is fairly small and it is right on the road, so the sound of constant traffic may take away from the otherwise welcoming and authentic atmosphere. These are not things that bother me, however, and I found going out for dinner away from the beach was a nice change.

Finally, in reading other reviews, I can see that my fiance and I were not the only victim's to the owner's rounds of free Jager shots. I went toe-to-toe with him as long as I could, but I had to drop out of the race as my stomach was already so full of beer and pork! I had an excellent sleep that night.

Overall, Mama's is welcoming, authentic, and the food, in our experience, is excellent!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Beijing, China
“Great food and host ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We went here not knowing what to expect but the food was amazing and the owner provided free shots of jäger. I would say it was win win.

Boracay, Philippines
“Excellent Food Excellent Setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

My favorite restaurant in Boracay. I've lived in Boracay for almost two years and Mama's is always the first restaurant I recommend to travelers. Marcus is a great host who makes sure all the diners have a good time (and leave tipsy). Try the kaese spaetzle and goulash!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
“Wow... Just Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Loved this place. The food servings were huge - I felt like I was in a food coma when leaving. It was a bit of a trek from whitebeach but so worth it!!! Plus free Jager shots are always welcome & the Host is absolutely wonderful!

Visited October 2013