“5 STAR HOTEL IN A BEAUTIFUL LOCATION” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early, Save 15%
Ranked #2 of 137 Hotels in Boracay
Las Vegas, NV
“5 STAR HOTEL IN A BEAUTIFUL LOCATION”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

The hotel is very very very nice. The only complaint which is not much of a complaint is walking to and from the room to any area in the resort is a short hike, about 5 minutes. The only other complaint was a service door in the lobby that looked like it had been there for a 10 years. I think that for a 5 star hotel they should try to paint it. These minor issues out weigh the benefits of a beautiful location and a beautiful hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

The natural beauty of Boracay is further amplified by this gorgeous and luxurious resort.

From the moment our plane landed in Caticlan, the Shangri-La staff were on hand to assist with luggage, transporting us to the comfortable lounge exclusive to Shangri-La where we were welcomed with cold drinks and icy towels and getting us safely on board their private speed boat that ferried us directly to the resort. The lobby is breath-taking and serene. The staff (from reception to guest services, to room attendants, pool attendants, restaurant staff, kids club & entertainment center crew, fitness center staff) is by far the friendliest and most sincere I have yet experienced. The rooms & bathrooms are beautiful, comfortable, extremely clean, spacious and well appointed. All the bathroom amenities were from L'Occitaine and each one smelled fantastic. The food outlets were top quality, great value for money and again the service was friendly and efficient. What won us over was the kids club, Adventure Zone. It kept our 3 year old entertained for hours on end, giving us ample time to workout at the nearby fitness center. The attendants at Adventure Zone really made an effort to play with the children, engage them in games, coloring activities etc. The pool was huge and was never over-crowded. There were Dedon tanning lounge chairs and umbrella's set up all around the irregularly shaped pool perimeter providing just the right amount of distance and privacy from the other guests. Similar lounge chairs and umbrellas were lined up along the very private white sand beach shoreline, a stones throw away from the beach bar. The Solana Bar and Sirena Seafood restaurant situated on a nearby cliff had the most stunning views of the crystal clear blue seas with square shaped tables and benches perched over the rocky terrain. A perfect place to watch the sunset with our favourite cocktail.

For a brief moment, I hesitated to write this review because I almost did not want to share such a gem to the rest of the world, but it is just too wonderful not to!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Zug, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

From the moment you arrive at airport to the moment they drop you back at the airport everything is perfect. We didn't leave the resort, except for a few moments and we were so glad of being back. Breakfast buffet is one of the best we experienced, close second to the one of the Peninsula in Bangkok. We tried the Sirena twice good food resonably priced and then we had room service the other night including a barbecue at our villa organized by the hotel... a great experience, only one advice make sure you are hungry... We will come back sooner than later!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Medan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

I am touched and impressed with the sincere service provided. The arrival welcome was as warm as the departure farewell. I am grateful for the help for arrangements of vans as well as tour of the hotel, sending my family group to the Kalibo airport including the check-in. Special thanks extended to Mr. Daniel, Mr. Roger.M and the cleaning service staff of room 511 to make my stay a memorable one. The superb service coupled with the complete ameneties such as swimming pool, hammock, children playground, adventure room and fitness centre made our stay really enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

We stayed here last week. It's really an awesome stay, staffs were friendly and accomodating. Their restaurants are very flexible to the likings of their customer, I ordered seafood pasta altho they don't have it in their menu they make ones for me. Deluxe room was so big for the two of us. We enjoyed the lagoon-typed swimming pool.

Seeing the sunset view in solana bar (at the top of the cliff) is really romantic and a must do for all the guests.

We will definitely be back in this paradise soon. :)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

Like what most people said about the place when you arrive at caticlan airport, its all true. The shangrila personnel will pick you up where you arrive at the hall and help you grab your luggage to a waiting van and send you to a designated shangrila waiting area which is a replica of their hotel! In there its pure luxury really, toilets and service exactly like the hotels, then it will be off in their own boat straight to the hotel. Once we got to the hotel, we were greeted by their manager i reckoned, i think his name was rick and he was doing small talk with us and showing us the better sights of the hotel. The view by far was amazing and the place that we checked into was the Tree House Villa and its nothing short of spectacular, duplex, with the whirpool on the 2nd floor showing the panaromic view of the ocean and from the bedroom and shower room, we always had a full view of the ocean which was breathtaking.

At the villa, we were assigned a butler named Juls, also we could contact him at anytime with a handphone that was given to us too! Juls was impeccable and he constantly took care of us and was at our service at anytime whenever we needed his help with anything. let me add that Juls is the only person turning our entire villa down, packing our room every single day and its very commendable as the villa is huge! And he does it really fast!

As for our meals, we had our dinner in Sirena and Rima. Rima serves fine italian food and Sirena serves seafood. Both restaurant serves excellent food and one thing that was very surprising is that the prices are very reasonable, or you might add, its actually cheap for dining in such a hotel quite honestly. The prices are what we pay in Singapore for regular dining and it was a huge surprise. For example in Rima, we had wagyu beef capachio, my partner had wild mushroom risotto and i had cod fishin pastry and mashed green peas and potato, along with 2 beers, and our total bill was barely 3300 Pesos which works out to be about SGD $110 which is in fact slightly cheaper than what we eat in Singapore. As for Sirena, we had a seafood platter to share which consisted of a huge bbq lobster, fried calamaris, fish, crabs, scallops, king prawns and we had juices and couple of beers as well along with mushroom soup and blue crab soup for starters and the total bill was about SGD $170 or about 5100 pesos which was very reasonable.

lastly i would like add a comment on the previous reviewer commenting about shuttle service. it is true that the shuttle service to D'Mall is about every 2 hours but it isnt inconvenient quite frankly. When we wanted to be picked up at a time not within the stipulated time slots, they picked us up and of course we had to pay, but we had to pay only 150 pesos per person, which is 300 pesos in total, that is only SGD $10 which is not much at all, and quite frankly very reasonable since a regular tuktuk cost about 100 pesos at least!

overall, this place is gorgeous. Me and my partner constantly compared it to The Banyan Tree Ungasan in Bali and quite frankly, both are almost equally matched. For example, the view in Bali is slightly better, but the access to the beach made Shangrila more attractive. Food in both places was wonderful, but the attractive pricing in Shangrila was much better, in addition, transport to the city centre in D'mall was alot more convenient and also cheaper as compared to the banyan tree as well. However getting to Boracay from Singapore aint as easy as flying to Bali so in this case, accessibility to the banyan tree wins in this case.

Finally, like all reviewers said, this place is wonderful, and if you have the money to stay in this place, go for it. Accomodation isnt cheap here, but the low cost of fine food and transport and serenity and the beach more than makes up for it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2010

As a Research Sub-editor with regular clients on an all-year-round basis, it had been several years since I had taken a 'real' holiday, so I visited this resort on the recommendation of a friend, and stayed for a full three-week vacation.

Given that the journey to reach this paradise island can be slightly tedious, I felt that the resort itself might well be better placed somewhere like Phuket or Bali; however, I soon found that the journey was well worthwhile.

The staff were outstanding, and it is clear that much of this was down to the leadership provided by the General Manager, Mr. Mark Kirk. I had several discussions with him during my time there, and he said that he believes that a "firm but fair" approach to all staff members soon develops the 'family' feeling amongst them. This was self-evident, as I was treated with the utmost respect by everyone and felt that they truly made me feel 'at home' throughout my stay there.

The restaurants are outstanding, my particular favourite being 'Vintana' for its breakfast and lunch buffets offering a vast array of choice and some excellent small 'tit-bits', particularly the various types of fish. This is where I was first introduced to 'lapu lapu', the local favourite fish, and one which I will be seeking out now that I have returned to Thailand.

Higher up this hillside resort are the Italian and seafood restaurants (the names of which I forget), but both of which I tried and found to be the ideal spot for a romantic evening for two. Unfortunately, I was travelling alone, but I nevertheless still enjoyed the food immensely.

The resort's private beaches have the whitest sand imaginable, and sun glasses are recommended as the glare can be so strong. This is also the case for the four kilometre 'white beach', which houses the local bar/restaurant area, a short 'tricycle journey' (the local motorbike transport mode) from the resort.

I spent several nights trying out the local cuisine, including a very good Tapas bar, but I have to say that it would be difficult to find anything to compare with the sumptuous food available within the resort. I also found a liking for the national beer 'San Miguel' and no shortage of other visitors to the island to strike up a conversation with.

There is a top quality golf course, 'Fairways and Bluewater', at which I decided to arrange temporary membership and soon found regular playing partners. Unfortunately, the lack of rain for seven months had taken its toll on the course, which was virtually brown everywhere except the greeens. Work is, however, currently underway under the new Golf Manager 'JB' to ensure that the course is able to withstand such drought conditions in future years.

Finally, I was amazed to see how many people gathered on the 'White Sands' seafront area just as dusk was approaching, but the reason was soon obvious. The island produces some of the most amazing sunsets you are ever likely to see anywhere, and I suggest that this is what might make it the ideal romantic spot to make that long planned proposal to a loved one!

I left Boracay with a very strong sense that I could hardly have made a better choice for my first holiday in several years, and indeed, I do have plans to return there in the not-too-distant future, but next time, not on my own! It is a real gem which should be experienced at least once.

George Okrasa
Bangkok

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Been to Shangri-La's Boracay Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!