“Beyond Expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 134 Hotels in Boracay
Quezon City, Philippines
“Beyond Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had a great time and experience best service from knowledgeable and welcoming hotel staff. It is wonderful and truly amazing stay, Only at Shangri-La it’s beyond your expectation. I will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tarlac, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Shangri-la's staff like the front desk, room boys and all of the person working there are very respectful, kind, hospitable and all other adjectives that I can think of. Its the best resort I've ever been with all the first class amenities that a resort should have. Thank you to all the courteous people that this resort have.

Room Tip: cleaning very often
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My family and I returned recently from a 10-day stay in this beautiful hotel. We knew the "rainy" season was starting and indeed the last couple of days were quite grim but nothing can take away from the overwhelmingly positive experience we had at the Shangri-La.
We initially thought we would explore the island a bit but ended up staying at the hotel the whole time as we didn't want to miss out on any relaxing time. Starting with a fantastic breakfast in the morning, we then spent the whole day at the beach where we always had sunbeds available (somehow it seems Asian tourists prefer to go there for max 1 hour to take pictures of themselves there..:-)), great service (Bam, we mean you!), had lunch right there, snorkeled, relaxed, and then ended up the day at the beach trying out the different cocktails offered. Food was best in our opinion at Rima although Sirena was nice as well. Vintana is great for breakfast but dinner there is a bit depressing as quite empty. We tried out the spa (wonderful experience even though expensive), the children spent around an hour every day at the Entertainment Centre when they were tired, my parents-in-law had a massage near the beach as well - it was all lovely. The grounds were beautiful, the rooms very nice and most of all, the service was delivered with warmth and a big smile. Special mentions to Laudito at the pool area, Bam at the beach, Nathaniel at the bar, Lun at breakfast, Tisa and Sianna at Rima. Thanks for making this a special stay for the 6 of us.
The only thing we can fault was the arrival at Caticlan airport as we were made to wait a full hour at the lounge before we could finally take the boat to the hotel and after an overnight flight with children, that wasn't nice. Also, on the way back for some reason, we were again deprioritised vs other guests and had to wait at the lounge (airco not working) before we were finally taken to the airport.
All in all, a wonderful stay - would love to return in the future!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I broke one of my own rules with this one - I never left the "hotel" from the moment I checked in to the moment I checked out. I normally make sure I explore wherever it is that I am visiting. This place though was just so amazing I neither felt the need nor desire to venture further. That said, I was only there for a weekend and my plan was R&R.

From the moment the staff meet you in the tiny arrivals hall of Caticlan airport until they safely deposit you back in their dedicated lounge for the return flight home you are incredibly well looked after.

6 or 7 family groups all arrived at the hotel at the same time yet each group was greeted immediately by their own hostess to check them in and show them to their respective rooms. I was booked into a standard deluxe room which I think is the lowest tier they offer here. It was absolutely perfect. The bedroom was spacious and had a couch as well as a desk area. The bed was incredibly comfortable. The bathroom was big, with a separate shower and bath as well as his and her sinks. The 2 sliding door options was a nice touch - one opening out into the bedroom area and the other in the more tradition vestibule area.
The balcony had both a table and chairs and a pair of day beds, perfectly secluded. I was on the 3rd floor so my view was the tops of the tropical forest. This made it amazingly atmospheric when we had a downpour on the Saturday evening.

The grounds of this hotel are extensive with 2 private beaches, lots of paths, gardens and forest to wander through. The main pool is a wonderful, interestingly shaped pool with an infinity edge pointing towards the sea. Despite its curious shape it is still possible to swim lengths (not sure of the length, but they definitely felt like more than 25m).

I spent a good few hours on the beach, the one nearest the main pool. The staff that looked after this area were always available and attentive yet also unobtrusive. I also noticed there was always a life guard present.

I made use of the gym. It was on the same spacious scale as everything else in this resort and had a good range of equipment - cardio, resistance machines, free weights, etc. On arrival they had also given me a class schedule. They have a yoga/aerobics studio for those who prefer group exercise activities.

When I wanted to go for dinner at the sea-food restaurant, located on the rocky outcrop that separates the two beaches it was raining. No problem - a golf buggy was almost immediately made available to drive me the short hop so I wouldn't get wet. When I signed the bill after dinner the waiter similarly asked if I wanted a buggy summonsed to collect me. I chose to move outside to the bar and enjoy listening to the sounds of the sea over a cocktail. I just had to ask the barman and he called for a buggy.

The only thing I am not raving about is the breakfast. Don't get me wrong, it was perfectly OK however not comparable to breakfasts in other hotels of this class/scale I have visited.

Room Tip: This is a tough one - those that don't like walking should ask for a room near the lifts however...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights (June 15 to 18). Service was the best with staff assisting us the moment we arrived at the airport up to the our return flight to Manila. Stayed in the seaview room and the the view was fantastic. A very good choice to rest and escape from a stressful work life.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My friends and I stayed in this hotel for three days and I tell you, this is one of the amazing hotel and resort we had visited for the past years we've been traveled to. Though the resort is a little bit pricey, you' ll get the best and relaxation getaway during your stay here. The hotel staff are very accomodating and friendly. The ambience and the overall surrounding, especially the room we've stayed and the infinity pool will entice you to just stay in the hotel and feel the nature's beauty. Overall, the place was great and looking forward to stay there on my next visit in Aklan with my family..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Shangri-La Boracay is the best hotel in the island, and we have stayed in our share of hotels in Station 1, where the white sand is finest. The service and luxury is definitely worth its price. From the moment you get off the plane and until you hand your boarding ticket on your flight home, there is that Shangri-La brand of exclusivity and service you don't get from other hotels on the island. I would give it 5 stars, if not for the few hassles we encountered with our room, and how they made me waste 3 hours waiting for something to be done about it. We stayed at Shangri-La Boracay for 6 days, 5 nights, having booked and paid in advance for a Seaview Suite, which was spectacular, but unfortunately, due to noisy guests above us and the hotel's inability to move us to another suite, ( it was either downgrade, with no compensations, or upgrade to a Villa , which was the next best thing to a suite, and guaranteed privacy, but pay for the difference in price, of course) we had no other option but to get a Villa, with its own pool and everything. It was another level of luxury, which came with its own butler and its perks. The service isn't perfect , but they aim for the best , and for the price you pay, you should expect it. Everyone is warm and kind, and the place is private, relaxing, and if you have the chance and the money to spend, it's worth the price. We would come back again, and unfortunately, they have spoilt us now. It's a Villa or we're not staying.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Shangri-La's Boracay Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!