“Superb” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 137 Hotels in Boracay
Todmorden
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

We arrived by air from Manila, the welcome was superb, collected at the airport driven to their lounge at the harbour, then transported by boat to the hotel.On arrival made most welcome, The check in was swift, then we were taken to our room, which was super, we even had a bar area complete with stools. Bathroom really large with all the toiletries you could imagine needing.
Breakfast was really good food choices from around the world. The Italian restaurant was really good, it is set high above the resort almost like a tree house.
The staff were very helpful, all in all a wonderful place!,
Must remark on the beach wonderful white sand and crystal clear water. Truly a magical place.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Boracay, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Couldn't really fault it. Food, beach, staff, decor, gardens... all 5 star. Pick up from Caticlan airport and speed boat to the private jetty was very impressive. Didn't touch are bags from the moment we claimed them at caticlan until we unpacked.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed here for three nights at the end of our Boracay stay, wow what a difference a hotel makes. This is a haven of peace and tranquility, service is top notch and breakfast is great. We had a wonderful sea view, room (Deluxe Sea View)was a little small but fine and pleasant. Restaurants were fairly good, and the grounds and beach are perfect.

One thing that was a little difficult to get my head around, having stayed in the middle of White beach (Station 2 – Don't do it :))) for some nights before, was that on arrival they present you with a voucher for a special price massage, only if you use it within 24 hours of your arrival, this special price was 10 times the normal price of a massage on Boracay, yes the special deal of one for the price of l0!! I think it is unnecessary for Shangri La to try to trick you into getting a massage quickly there before you find out how much they are outside the hotel. I know it might be said that there massages are better than outside, but I seriously doubt it. I didn't find out though :)))

I would recommend anyone thinking of going to Boracay and only staying here for a couple of nights, to make it so they stay her for their last night, the transfer to the airport is incredible (you might want to stay for your first night too:)) it goes like this: I called for someone to get my luggage (I had already settled the bill earlier in the day- I would recommend this as you pass the lobby), two men turned up, collected the luggage and us and escorted us to a golf buggy, which then drove us for two minutes to the private jetty at the hotel beach, to a waiting boat, then a 10 minute pleasant boat ride to the mainland boat terminal for Caticlan airport, we were then escorted 10 steps to the private Shangri La lounge at the boat port, we were asked for our air ticket information in the this lounge, then asked to get into the waiting mini bus for the two minute journey to the airport, the luggage had already been transferred to the mini bus for us, on arrival at the airport security had already been advised of our arrival and given the flight information, we cleared security and another member of Shangri la staff was at the airport desk and the airline was ready to check us in with all information been handed over before our arrival, We had excess baggage, so the Shangri La staff too k the money off me and went and dealt with the payment, then whisked up stairs to the Shangri La private lounge in the airport! Wow what a slick process!! Well done!!! the only criticism I could make about this was that it was so slick that we arrived in the terminal ready for our flight far too early, you literally need twenty minutes from your hotel room to the time you want to be in the Airport. It was fantastic, especially when compared to how one needs to get to the airport from Boracay normally.

Transport around the Island is not so slick I'm afraid, the free shuttle to D Mall is hourly most of the day and every 30 minutes at peak times, but at some peak times this isn't enough and there is a queue (line for the Americans reading this) that fills the mini bus up which make you wait another 30 mins for the next one, they need to work on this! They have enough staff there to do an on demand service I am sure. Also when I booked I was at another hotel, they said they would collect us in 15 minutes, 40 minutes later they still had not arrived, I called and they said it would be another 5-10 minutes, 15 minutes after that the hotel I was at received a phone call saying it would be at least another 15 minutes, this was at dinner time and we were hungry and fed up with waiting so we arranged a trike and made our own way there, I looked out for a Shangri Mini bus the whole way but did not see one coming to get us, when I complained at checkin they said that the mini bus was there to pick us up 2 mins after we left!!!

All in all though this hotel made me like Boracay, it was great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Mornington, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

One of our best holidays ever, and we travel every year somewhere different with 3 kids it tow....resort was awesome, although we did have an issue with the room as I thought we were getting 2 x queens beds plus cot for baby but has to be happy with King bed and fold out and cot (triple check this if you are a family... i double checked before i left so not real happy with room situation) Resort was probably the BEST we have stayed in and the service was lovely. Very friendly and attentive staff ready to cater for all your needs. Kids Club awesome too and my 6 and 4 y.o. Had a ball playing in there or just chilling out watching a movie. Whilst kids in kids club a couple of times, Hubby and I got to do a few adult activities like kayak and dragon boating so we got some precious couple time as well. All food and drinks great, but could be a bit $ but I suppose that's what you get when you stay at a 5xstar hotel. Would highly recommend to make the trek to Boracay and in particular, the Shangri La.

Room Tip: If a family, go the family rooms which do cost a little more.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Love this place, the rooms are fabulous and i am really impressed with the service. The staff are very friendly and helpful. From the time we land, greetings to the time we leave, the resort's service was excellent. I love the fact there's a shangri la lounge for guests in the departure hall as well.

The resort is really huge with lots of nice spots to look at the beautiful landscape and beaches. Chilling out at the private beach was nice and security's tight. The breakfast buffet was really sumptuous and it's really family friendly with a low buffet counter for kids. The view from my room was awesome, unlike some beach resorts we didn't have to worry about mosquitoes. Try the mangoes there, really sweet.

Only few feedback would be the gym's bath area needs cleaning, there's a fair bit of green algae and it would be great if the entertainment room could stock up more recent DVDs too.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at the Shangri-La Boracay for a friend's wedding in December. Gorgeous setting, the beaches really are like the photos! My room was a good size, I had a balcony that looked out over the garden. The staff were friendly no matter the room you were in (it's worth noting I think). The amenities were lovely, the included breakfast was great (though could have been available til 11am as many people seemed to miss it). The pool and the two private beaches were beautiful - easily could spend all day there and never leave the resort.

So, about the rooms, I saw a couple. My friend stayed in Villa 21 - gorgeous sea view, fabulous sized room, own private butler - just not private at all. You can most definitely see your next door neighbours throughout most of the villa. If that's a problem for you, I'd email them well in advance and say you don't want anything that's overlooked (Bedroom, lounge upstairs, and the balcony / outdoor spa could all be seen by the neighbour if they wanted to peek over). The Palmera villas have pools, but weren't very private at all either. Fences that you could see through, and there were a lot of people walking through the area to get to the main pool, that area is a bit of a thoroughfare. Kanluran villas looked a lot more private, but I would assume a lot more expensive!

Depending on the time of year, there may also be a wedding a day at the resort. So be prepared for areas / restaurants of the hotel to be potentially unavailable in the evening. I saw one each day in early / mid December.

Sirena restaurant was lovely. Possibly the only place in the resort were the water isn't free though - worth noting as it was brought to us constantly and then we saw the bill. The food was quite good - it was definitely tasty and a step up from the other food on offer.

The CHI spa was amazing. They have a pool there that you can use before your treatment. It's just lovely and peaceful and I loved every minute of my time there and wished I could afford a treatment a day during my stay! Highly recommend.

Free buses are every hour to D-Mall, kind of like most Asian island towns. Ask the hotel if they have any recommendations for dinner there, we wandered for a while trying to find somewhere. Don't miss the last bus back at 1am though - otherwise you're cabbing it home.

Overall it was a lovely stay, and I really enjoyed my time. But I don't feel the urge to go back there again. I feel like for the much steeper price of staying at Shangri-La I'd probably stay somewhere else instead and save my money.

Room Tip: Try to go for a higher room number (floor 5 or 6) in Timog - lovely views over the private beach. I...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Makati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I together with his bestfriend and family stayed for 4 days and it was amazing. We love everything about the hotel: from our boat ride to the hotel, our seaview room, the game room and massage room, all the swimming pools, and the food. I love all their furnitures. I've been to a lot of hotels but the breakfast in this hotel was unbelievable. They have all kinds of food you can ever imagine and all were so yummy. The service was 5 star.

Room Tip: Have the seaview
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Shangri-La's Boracay Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!