“Shangri-La....Paradise on the Earth !!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book Early & Get 15% Off
Ranked #1 of 134 Hotels in Boracay
Manila
“Shangri-La....Paradise on the Earth !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Me and my wife have travelled around the world and have stayed in top notch resorts and hotels like 4 seasons, ritz , one & only etc, but this one takes the cake and truly deserves to be renamed as a "Paradise on the Earth".
Since the time we landed on 26th March and departed from the airport on 29th mar, service was phenomenal. Airport staff, check-in staff, manager, waiters , housekeeping , gardners, golf cart drivers, each and every staff & manager we come across was out of this world, professionally trained to do their job, with never say no attitude. Food at Italian and seafood restaurant was exceptional every time we ate, however buffet restaurant food can improve.
Resort is so beautiful with so many things to do that we never felt like going out any where. Chi spa is very well managed and treatments were ( two times) heavenly.This time we stayed in a deluxe seaview room but next time in a pool villa as it was shown to us by a front staff and its a perfect accommodation for a romantic get away.
This resort is worth every penny we spent and we can't wait to come back. Thank God we did not choose to stay at Discovery Resort which was recommended by one of our filipino friend as it looked very touristy and non private to us. After our experience even our friend is planning to go to Boracay, specially to stay at this wonderfull resort . Well done Shangri-La!!... See you again :-)

Room Tip: Stay at Pool Villa
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I could take all day and write a long message but I will just post a few pictures and you tell me.
I couldnt ask for anything more from this hotel. They are at your beck and call at all times. Everyone is happy from the gardener to the ladies at Chi Spa.
We have eaten at every restaurant x3 and done all the water activities. It is pricey but you get what you pay for.
Our wedding was absolutely story book. Couldnt ask for anything more!

I will let my pics show how amazing it was...

Stay here if you want 5 star service, decor, amenities and privacy.

THANK YOU SHANGRI-LA!!! Bernadette Velayo was our assigned wedding planner and she took it on like she was planning her daughters wedding. We are so grateful for you. WE WILL BE BACK SOON!
<3 K&B

Room Tip: All are sea view.
manila and new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We just came from our second visit to Shangri-La. Last year, we stayed in a Loft Villa, but this year, we opted to stay in a 2-bedroom Villa Balani (Villa 12). The 2-bedroom is crazy good. The master bedroom has its own seperate "villa" detached from the main area and secondary room. I don't know if all 2-bedrooms are created the same because I saw a video of the much-vaunted Villa 13 which has its own beachfront, and the master bedroom did not have its own seperate building. As soon as you opened a door on the right from the living room, the master bedroom was already right there. Looked kind of small and tight too.

So, like always and as expected, we immensely enjoyed our stay here. Same great service. We also got married here on the Saturday of our visit. The Sagana ballroom was beautiful. It's just such a no-brainer for us in deciding where to stay each time we go to Boracay.

Room Tip: Villas 10, 11, and 12 (2 bedrooms) are your best choices. They are all situated on a cliff, and apa...
seoul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Althought we have done a lot of active travelling around Asia the past several years that we lived here, we never stayed in just one place, much less resort, for a whole week so wasn't sure what to expect other than what I'd read from all the great reviews on TA. Well our experience surpassed all our expectations from those reviews and what one would expect from a Shangri-la property in general...it was perfection. From the moment we landed in Caticlan (which went without a glitch for us but we've heard some horror stories) and walked in the airport doors we were surrounded by great Shangri-la staff and hospitality. Van to private waiting lounge at dock, hotel's own boat to jetty at the resort, golf carts to take us straight up to our villa and check us in there! Obviously you pay more for this type of service and resort but if you can it is well worth it. The Villa itself was fantastic, two floors with living, kitchen and pool downstairs and master bedroom upstairs. Kids (9 and 11) were in the pool within 5 mins of being there. Amazing view over the beach and bay. The whole week was flawless. Carts within 5 mins of calling to pick you up and take you anywhere. Kids absolutely loved the entertainment center and the staff there were fantastic, constantly playing with them and having fun. Food was wonderful, we ate at all the restaurants and weren't disappointed. While some people don't always like the buffet style they had in Vintana, it was definitely as good as we've experienced for that big an operation. In fact, what put it over the top for me was when one of the staff at the breakfast buffet, Arante, turned what could have been a minor glitch into a customer service homerun. Wednesday morning I ordered my usual 2 soft-boiled eggs with breakfast, but being it was in the middle of the morning rush something must have gotten mixed up and after a long wait when the eggs finally came out they were fully cooked. I was a little frustrated and asked them to make new ones which they then did, but I still left breakfast that morning a little underwhelmed. Thursday morning I walk in and go to our table first to chat with some friends, then when I walked up to the egg station a few mins later Arante immediately handed me a bowl 'sir here's your two soft-boiled eggs cooked 5 mins as you like them'...knock out!
We also got our diving certification there and Sam Watts and the team at Scotty's was top notch even when it took longer than they expected to complete the course. They really helped both the kids get the most out of learning how to be safe and comfortable underwater.
While everything at the resort is so comfortable one might be tempted to just stay there, we would definitely recommend going to the main White Beach area as well, at least for dinner and evening walk. Shuttle service from hotel runs perfectly and it was easy to get van back as well, we rarely waited more than 10 mins and the staff on that end were great too.
All in all one of the best vacation experiences we have had all due to the wonderful staff and property at Shangri-la. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: If you are staying in a Villa we thought the loft villa's were perfect with kids so you have two...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Seoul, S Korea
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

The resort is gorgeous and the staff is extremely friendly! That being said, I contracted amoebas the first night at the hotel. I was extremely sick. I had the seafood paella at the restaurant by the pool. The staff could not have been nicer...they brought me congee, Gatorade, and DVDs. I missed 3.5 days of vacation because I could not leave our room. When I could leave, I was too weak to do anything but sit by the pool. The hotel's doctor and nurse were thorough, but we could NOT believe that they charged me every time they came to my room! The hotel's food made me sick, I do NOT think that we should have been charged to get me well!!! I think we should have been "given" the medical care and comped a night or two, or something else. I was even charged $10 when I ordered bananas through room service...I could not eat the "included" breakfast (or leave my room) and the doctor wanted me to eat bananas or apples when taking my medicine.

The second point is much more serious: my 12 year old daughter and husband went on a night dive and almost did not survive. Although the resort explained that the dive shop is a 3rd party vendor, the hotel is ultimately responsible for its guests.

A dive master, who was new to the resort, went on his first night dive from the shore with my husband and my daughter (her first night dive). I was in the room too sick to move. They set out from the shore where another dive master said they should look for a pipe and follow it out to the dive site. It was dark and the current made the visibility difficult, so they never found the pipe. They were swept with the current away from the island... They fought the current for 2.5 hours. The dive master repeatedly blew his horn to no avail. They were slammed against the jagged rocks repeatedly while trying to get to shore. They lost their bearings and ran out of air. All 3 believed that they would not make it back to the resort! The dive staff never sent out a rescue boat or did anything to alert anyone!!! The dive master and my husband both said they would have given up the fight if my daughter had not been with them. Harrowing... It is completely UNACCEPTABLE that rescue procedures are not in place at the resort!!! My husband and I have each logged over 200 dives and we have never seen anything like this. We will write to the dive shop's owners to let them know what happened. Diving is a fantastic sport, but it is dangerous when rules are not followed. The dive masters at the resort were unbelievably professional and were extremely concerned with safety. The dive center staff was NOT well trained... Equipment was damaged, tanks were not loaded on time, and equipment was not put together properly. This is all a lack of training.

Our friends who were with us had a lovely vacation, but ours was a nightmare. The hotel did nothing to try and make up for these experiences!!! unacceptable! I would have compared the resort to Banyan Tree (although many more guests), Alila Villas, Four Seasons, etc, but each of those resorts would have bent over backwards to try and remedy the situations. Ultimately the front desk manager gave us his card and said to let him know if/when we return to the resort. Not the type of response one would expect from a 5 star property.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Amit O, General Manager at Shangri-La's Boracay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
At Shangri-La we take these comments very seriously as the safety and security of our guests is of utmost importance to us. We practice a strictly controlled food safety management system and employ an in-house Hygiene Manager to monitor this constantly. We have taken note of your feedback and will continue to monitor these systems closely. We have also reviewed the safety procedures of the dive center along with the dive center manager and the hotel's Director of security. Though the systems are in place and have been effective, we have added a few measures based on your feedback. These are: There will always be a boat on standby for the divers even in the case of a beach entry dive. An additional dive instructor will be at the dive center at all times and monitor ongoing dives based on their dive plans and estimated return times. The security guards at the beach will be informed of dives taking place and will also monitor the departure time and estimated return time of divers as a back up. Even though the dive center is not  managed by us we are involved in ensuring their safety systems meet our requirements and our guest's expectations.
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

This is our first time to visit as a couple so our intention really was just to enjoy and relax. Fortunately, Shangri-la did not disappoint! From the moment we landed at the Caticlan airport, you'd instantly feel you're on vacation. Almost everything is being taken care of. We stayed in a North Deluxe room and to get there, we have to pass by the main lobby lounge that showcases a panoramic view of the ocean. Simply divine I must say!

Food was great, a bit pricey given that you could probably get some of the dishes with the same quality outside the hotel. Good thing there was a free shuttle to the D'mall. We got to eat at Sirena on a Saturday night- the food is good but it's nothing that we haven't tasted before. We also did in-room dining twice and again, the food is nothing extraordinary, just good. Just don't order the Hainanese Chicken. My husband got to try this dish in Shangri-la Singapore and loved it. He made a mistake of assuming it will be at the same par. Perhaps next time we will try the Cielo buffet.

I love the fact that the resort was able to restore most of the forest trees within the resort. Loved waking up to the sound of birds chirping outside! I also love that the beaches are private (except for the Punta Bunga that is being shared with another resort) and well-maintained.

Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for only two nights, which was too short. Everything about the hotel is perfect! The rooms are very spacious and clean. The bathrooms are beautiful!

The service in the hotel is exceptionally good and all the details are perfect. If you are looking for a romantic getaway or a family break, this hotel caters perfetly to your every need!

Stayed March 2012

Been to Shangri-La's Boracay Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!