“Great Rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fairways & Bluewater

Save Saved
You added Fairways & Bluewater to your Saves list
Fairways & Bluewater
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Barangay Balabag, Malay | Aklan (Newcoast), 5608, Philippines   |
Ranked #65 of 133 Hotels in Boracay
Manila, Philippines
“Great Rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We are a family of 5 with kids of 7, 11 and 15. We stayed in a 1bed suite on a Holy Week deal which was a,good deal considering I was late booking our trip. There was someone to meet us at Caticlan and the transfer to the resort was excellent. We arrived on time but the lobby was so full of people checking out it spoiled the arrival a little. We had great service at checkin time and were shown to our room. It was in Catalina Villa,which is the one furthest from the lobby but nearest to the main entrance. This was good because we were not dependent on hotel,transport to get to white beach. The breakfast was much too busy and noisy for us so,we decided to go to white beach for brunch and have cereal in the room instead. The shuttle was always on time and it's not that far from white beach...10 mins max. The private beach at the resort is beautiful. Unspoilt with white sand and clear water. The resort has a nice small bar or you can order food from the restaurant. Our room was below,the road and alongside the golf course...nice and peaceful. For us, there were too many people to make it relaxing to be in the restaurant but apart from that, I'd recommend this resort. I didn't play golf but it was nice to be beside the course and see the green each morning. The bedding was great too. pillows, duvets and matresses...all very clean and comfy!

Room Tip: Golf course view, near to main entrance is best.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Ulsteinvik, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have already experienced a week stay in other hotels in Boracay. They had their nice amenities though. I was also pleased by how they serve their guests.

Then I decided to try this hotel, Fairways and Bluewaters Hotel. I fell in love with the serenity of the placewithout a hitch. I love how the staffs treated me and my wife from our arrival until we left. I would also want to thank a particular staff of their guest service Marcphil (i dont know if i spelled it right) he was very friendly and was very helpful and also very courteous. That is what a hotel staff must be. I would be glad to meet him again and have him aid us again to our room. The food is good. And the whole place is indeed dirtless.

Me and my wife had a very awesome experience in this hotel. Give a try to experience it yourself. We are planning to spend Christmas in Boracay this year, of course we'll come along with our kids, and of course we will definitely be going back in Fraiways and Bluewater Hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I am currently at the hotel and having a miserable time. We checked in yesterday And in the middle of the night the air con stopped working. The air on was leaking water. Tried to contact management got no reply. Housekeeping staff transferred me to another room. And now 2nd day in a row the air con stopped working. In the previous room there was a coackroach which I had to call housekeeping to get rid off. They don't have guest call list in rooms or a room service menu.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Reading the other reviews of this hotel/resort I find it hard to believe I stayed in teh same place. One recurring theme is that the staff are fantastic. Not the most professional nor experienced I have come across, but their friendliness and keenness to assist could not be faulted.

The resort appears to be undergoing some kind of expansion programme, though it was far from clear how realistic this is. There is a model of the proposed expansion in the reception area, but this looked at least 5 years old and probably a lot older. It seemed as if there were groups of people (largely from mainland China would be my guess) who were there as part of some sort of marketing exercise (smacked of time-share sales techniques to me). The overall impression of the current facilities is that they are badly in need of renovation and renewal. Many concreted areas and the major buildings themselves were crumbling. The impression is that the owners will not invest until/unless they secure sufficient interest in the expansion. One of the two swimming pools (the larger of the two) was closed "for maintenance", but there did not appear to be any work taking place and, in any event, it looked in dire need of a lot more than maintenance.

As others have commented, breakfast is a chaotic scrum, but this is really the only time when the other guests were visible. In the evenings, for example, the bar and restaurant (serving only basic, but wholesome dishes) were almost totally deserted. Where do all the people who take (the inclusive) breakfast go for the rest of the day? The beach rarely had more than a handful of people on it, nor was there ever more than 10 or so using the only pool (which is also very tired looking).

The golf course was not at all busy, but at well over US$100 per round, that is not surprising.

In summary, if you are looking for luxury and/or tranquility, this is not the place for you. We paid an average of US$125 per night for two of us for B&B in the week leading up to Easter and that compares favourably with the upmarket properties on Boracay. In short, you pays your money and takes your choice, but don't be fooled by the professional photos of this place. The property is very tired, but the staff can sooth most woes.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Makati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

In summary we had a pleasant stay in Fairways and will most definitely stay again here with my family. I highly recommend this for families with small children or old people, or those who just wants to relax, feel the ocean breeze, away from the hustle and bustle of white beach.

would have given a rating of 5 if not for small nuisances i will mention here. however will definitely go back here again

We stayed in Mulligan building for 5 nights. We booked thru Asiatravel and got good rates. I traveled with my 5 yo daughter, her nanny, and her dad who joined us on our 3rd day. We were booked in a spacious corner room on the 3rd floor with large balcony and great view of golf course/mountain.

Rooms.
Pros: very spacious. great view. Large balcony. 2 double beds. Has cable TV with decent channel offerings (Disney junior for my little one); Lighting was all soft lights. Housekeeping everyday, new towels every day. There’s a phone in our room (past reviews complained lack of phone)
Cons:
-no full body mirror (could have put this in the inside one of the cabinet doors). There is only 1 mirror in the room (bathroom mirror)
-aircon is noisy and doesnt go cold (thermostat is already at 10 degrees but it felt only 22 degrees.
-lack of white light (all yellow pin light/lamps)
-The shower area’s drainage is a little clogged - the water takes a while to go down… same with the bathroom sink.
-The light in our balcony was broken upon check in and was only fixed during our second day.
-no round table in our balcony when we checked in, I had to request it– I saw the other corner rooms’ balconies have it.
-old TV, I wonder why when LCD TVs now come very cheap.
-No daily replenishment of toiletries like soap, shampoo, etc.
-broken window blinds. The maintenance guys did not replace it, they just put it back up when the blinds crashed when I tried to raise the blinds.
-room is partly carpeted. This is a personal preference – carpets for me invite dirt, dustmites, I personally prefer non-carpeted rooms as its easier to clean.

Building:
Pros: Fairways is composed of many villas, and ours (mulligan) is I think the one nearest to lobby, pool and beach. building is old but overall clean and appears well maintained. Cons:
-the right pathway (going to the rooms if you’re facing the building) is not completely lighted at night.
-On our 4th day there was generator maintenance so our building along with the lobby had no power from 1pm to 5pm. However it wasn’t totally hot in the room as fresh air can circulate if we open the windows and balcony.

Facilities
Pros:
-clean, good sized pool (great for children and adults)
-ample day beds and tables in the poolside and beach
-beach area is clean and has enough umbrella and day beds.
-there is free shuttle service every 30 minutes going to White Beach area.
Cons
-breakfast area is small and crowded especially during our stay.
-Lobby is small, cluttered, poorly lighted, dark and not too welcoming. I hope they renovate this. Make it high ceiling, put lots of windows to let natural light in, etc.
-shuttle is only until 10pm. Maybe they should extend it until 12PM. Say, every thirty minutes, then after 10PM, shuttle will be every hour so next shuttle from white beach will be 11PM and 12MN

Food/Service
Pros
-free buffet breakfast was decent enough, we were expecting anything grand, and we were satisfied.
-the staff are generally responsive of guests’ needs. they were able to address my requests, (for light in the balcony, table in the balcony, repair of window blinds, etc.). also whenever they could, they make sure people only wait a short while for the shuttle. They also let you get off in Station 1 although officially the drop off point is in station 2 (Budget mart)
-decent price for beers and alcoholic drinks
-superp staff - very courteous, always smiling, all accommodating.

Other suggestions:
-Maybe the resort can tie up with those people organizing activities in White Beach (WB), so their guests wouldn’t have to go to WB just to ride jetski, banana boat, etc. Since Fairways have their own beach, maybe the activity organizers can offer to pick up hotel guests from fairways beach, going to the actual activity area/s
-No more carpets in the rooms pls.
-Simple acoustic band in the resto area every night. We would have wanted to stay in the resort at night if they had an acoustic singer at the least.
-extended shuttle hours (say after 10PM, next shuttle will be 11PM / 12MN . etc. this is to take care of those who opt to stay longer in white beach to party, drink, hang out, etc.

Room Tip: If booking in Mulligan building, choose room 22309 or any a corner room on the 2nd or 3rd floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Khabarovsk, Russia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Good day! We stayed at your hotel from 19/02 to 05/03 at the check we forgot in the room in the closet 19109 vehnyuyu clothes. Please kindly contact us at this email address for sending stuff to Russia at index 680051 Khabarovsk Voroshilov Street apartment to 9 180.

Thank you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

A very beautiful resort, with their own private beach and fantastic service. My best recommendations to Fairways and Bluewater. I really enjoyed my stay. The rooms were clean and very nice. The hotel has its own free shuttle service which was very good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Fairways & Bluewater? Share your experiences!