“Average conditions, great location” 2 of 5 stars

Grand Boracay Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Station 2 d'Mall | Balabag, 5600, Philippines   |
Ranked #126 of 132 hotels in Boracay
Romania
“Average conditions, great location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

First let me tell you that that I am a young solo or with friends traveler, so I am not very picky regarding easy to live with imperfections that might appear in my holiday BUT:
Stayed here for 2 weeks, traveling with friends. First of all I have booked my deluxe room through Agoda website, and I paid the whole booking in advance with my credit card on the website. When I looked online for the hotel website I found a site under construction and an email address. I sent an inquiry at that email address only to receive a response from a very SIMILAR email address asking me to make another payment in advance, also giving me my AGODA BOOKING ID which was private. When I called Agoda and forwarded those emails they simply said: “The hotel recommends to avoid email conversations with dubious email addresses”. Second of all, my first interaction with the receptionist wasn’t that pleasant, because although I had booked a deluxe room, she first gave me a standard room, and the girl who led me to the room was trying to convince me that I have received a deluxe room, so I had to insist on changing the room to a deluxe one that I have paid for !
Let’s see:
Accommodation: Average at best, maybe a 2.5 star hotel with European standards(except the bathroom which is proper for a very cheap motel). The beds are comfy though and you do get a flat screen TV. You do not get a view whatever room you choose because the resort is surrounded by D-Mall and other houses. Mini bar is basic with juice, water and beer, and prices are low.
Breakfast, is very poor in variety, and they have only one toaster, so every morning you have to get in line and wait for your turn. They clean the tables when they remember and if you want to eat after 9 AM you might just find leftovers, because the food “runs out” ?? (breakfast program 7 – 10 AM)
The pool is small and almost nobody goes there, so I cannot confirm, as other stated, that they are very strict regarding bathing suits in the pool. When White Beach is 2 minutes away, why would you stay in a small hotel puddle ?
Location, now this is the best part. The hotel is situated exactly in the middle of D-Mall, exactly in the middle of Boracay island, in station 2. The back entrance to the hotel takes you exactly into D-Mall, where you can find shopping areas, restaurants, clubs, and White Beach of course.
Boracay details: The island is divided in 3 parts: Station 1(furthest from the jetty port, with the most luxurious hotels, close to Puka Shell Beach), Station 2(middle of the island, where all the action is, but where the crowds gather up as well), and Station 3(closest to the Jetty port) which is quieter, cheaper but poorer. Here you can find Talipapa(seafruit and fish market, where you can choose your supper while it’s alive. They have modest restaurants in the market that cook your own food for a small price)
What bothered me was that they have a lot of taxes:
When you get to Caticlan Aiport: 75 Pesos for the 2 minute ride to the jetty port. Here you pay 25 pesos for the boat, 100 pesos terminal fee, and 125 environment fee. From the Boracay jetty port to Station 2 you pay 100 pesos per motorbike with attach(up to 5 people). So the transfer from the Caticlan airport to the middle of the island should be approx. 425 pesos(10$) per person. When you leave the island, you do not pay the environment fee again but you pay an airport terminal fee of 200 pesos, so that gets you to 500 pesos per person.
Be careful, because at Manila airport, only when you leave the Philippines, you have to pay a 550 pesos terminal fee per person(12 $). If you do not have any more pesos you can use your credit card, but I had problems using mine because it is a Visa card with microchip(the bank told me that the problem was that chip). If you cannot use your card there are 2 ATMs in the airport, but they have 200 pesos extra fee for cash withdrawal. For the local flight from Manila to Caticlan you need to transfer to terminal 3 or 4 depending on the airline, there is an airport bus that transfers you for free. There are 4 terminals and they are separated, you need to take the bus for a terminal transfer.(free, provided by the airport if you have a plane ticket). Free WiFi in the airport is nice, because internet takes your mind away from the ugly airport with insufficient seats.
Now, I am a big fan of beautiful beaches, and you get a lot of this in Boracay, but good hotels are very expensive, and you have to keep in mind that Philippines is a very poor country, and not all the philippinos are very friendly. The prices are as follows: (1 US $ = 45 pesos, 1 euro = 60 pesos)transfer from one station to another(100 pesos for up to 5 people in one motorbike with attach). Local beer 45-60 pesos, cocktails from 100 to 150 pesos, a complete meal from 300 to 500 pesos for each person. All in all I spent 600 euros in 2 weeks for food, drinks and water sports and I find that to be a lot in a supposedly poor country, having breakfast included in the room price.
I would recommend this location for young people traveling alone or with friends, because there are a lot of parties and there are a lot of single girls going around(especially russian and local girls(be carefull about the lady boys though ) )
For couples and families I wouldn’t recommend this place, because there are nicer places for them, like Punta Cana in Dominican Republic for example, where you can find a 5 star All Inclusive hotel directly on the beach for the same amount of money I’ve paid for this basic hotel, and the beach is the same if not nicer.
I would only recommend this hotel for its location. If you don’t mind taking a short walk, and you don’t insist on staying where all craziness happens, go somewhere else.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter what room you choose, no view whatever the room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

73 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I always like to give hotels a chance but when you are paying quite a bit to stay in a decent hotel your expectations become a bit higher than usual. In this case we were disappointed. After paying for a deluxe double room we were given a twin as there were no others available. We had to push the beds together which proved pointless due to the gap caused by the bed frames. The staff were friendly but useless. The 24 hour room service is only available during the allocated times, men are not allowed to wear boardshorts in the pool and if you want anything from housekeeping expect to have to call a few times. Other than that it is a nice hotel with a beautiful pool. Great location right in the middle of dmall. So if you're happy to pay a hit extra for a fantastic location just be warned not to have your expectations set too high in regards to service.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed 2 nights in the Grand Boracay. it is in a great location, right next to D-Mall and a few minutes to the beach - that is the only good thing about the hotel.
The rooms are basic.The hot water in the bathroom is luke warm at best. There is a sign in the room saying you can buy prepaid internet cards from reception. I asked at reception and they said there is no internet in the rooms. There is free wifi down in reception which works sometimes.
The TV in my room had no television reception. The reception said they would have it fixed but never got fixed in the 2 days I stayed there.
Buffet breakfast looks very unappetising. Coffee and toast was the best of the buffet.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We stayed 2 nights from 21/10/2013. We were on the 2nd floor - just above the restaurant. It is a good size room with all the basic facility. The hot water is just near warm - may be it is still summer at Boracay. The breakfast buffer is reasonable but the dinner buffer is great - a BIG thank to the hotel boss!!!! WiFi is only available around lobby area but with limited connection capability. The best part is the location - the back entry of the resort is the main shopping area and just 4 minutes walk to the beach.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Twain Harte, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

This place is ranked 123 out of 130 and well deserves it! Staff is horrible with an attitude.Dogs woke us up at 6am,barked for 2 hours straight. I woke up at 2am with ants crawling all over my face. Mold in the bathroom. Extreeeemly noisy ac. Free breakfast was absolute crap,bugs in the food,all of it cold,and hardly any of it! Construction noise at 7am. We were kicked out of the pool by the manager who said no board shorts. We didn't have on board shorts, We had on swimming trunks. Seems they don't want you to use the pool.I didn't see anyone in the pool for our 3 day stay. The manager screamed at us and pounded the rules board, which said nothing about no board shorts. I have never been treated so rudely by anyone! They gave us an invalid wifi # and spent an hour trying to resolve the problem. I travel extensively throughout the world, this is by far the worst place I have ever stayed. People who liked this place must not get around much!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Valenzuela, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Despite the numerous negative reviews i'd read regarding this resort, i still booked a 3d2n stay at Grand Boracay Resort because a friend of mine stayed there previously and was quite impressed by the facilities, rooms, the pool and most especially the location (right on D' Mall), so i crossed my fingers, went ahead,with the booking and was rewarded with a nice stay there.
we checked in August 24-26, we're warmly greeted by the receptionist and the staff, they helped us carry our bags to the designated rooms, the rooms were clean, nice comfy bed, ref with mini bar, electric kettle with coffee and tea sachets, a wooden cabinet with an umbrella inside for guest use (boy oh boy, am i impressed), nice and cool aircon, flat screen tv, 2 chairs and a small table and not 1 but 2 safes!(another plus for me) and most importantly, it got nice and very clean toilet with the necessary toiletries (toothbrush, tooth paste, shampoo and liquid body soap and 2 small soap).
our rooms were cleaned everyday, our towels changed and toiletries replenished by the polite and helpful staff, i like the sincere smiles and greetings we got everytime we met the staff inside the resort, made us feel like VIPs (thumbs up)
my kids loved frolicking in their nice clean pool after our beach sorties
the breakfast buffet was another thing that wowed us, my kids had their fill with endless bacons, omelets, cereals, juice, fruits and much much more.
the friendly owner was nice and he granted my request for a dinner buffet for my family of 7 and my office staff of 10 persons, the food served for the dinner buffet was excellent and filling.
i have to stop now as i may sound like their publicist hahahaha, sorry but i just can't stop heaping praises on this nice resort, maybe because i was expecting the worst, but instead i got the best service.
another thing is i think the management have read the previous bad reviews and made the necessary adjustments and changes, so reviews from guests are very important for us travellers..
we just returned to our home and was planning again for another stay at Grand Boracay on our next trip to this wonderful paradise called Boracay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Iloilo City, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

It's very disappointing! The lady in the reception desk is very inefficient. They have an expensive facility, but why hire inept, moronic employees? They are VERY SLOW to attend to our inquiries right from the time we checked in.

In our room, shower head is not working properly. In my friend's adjacent room, bathroom drainage is clogged. There was no water by 12pm today before we checked out! The expensive price is not worth its value.

The only thing good about this place is its location near D Mall in Station 2.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Grand Boracay Resort? Share your experiences!