“A great experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Tides Boracay

Save Saved
You added The Tides Boracay to your Saves list
The Tides Boracay
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   D Mall Station 2, Balabag, Sitio Manggayad, Philippines   |
Ranked #74 of 131 hotels in Boracay
Melbourne, Australia
“A great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The Tides is in a great location within D'Mall just a short walk away from the beach. I'd have to commend the staff who were very friendly and helpful and also great to deal with. The rooms are not particularly spacious but it was clean and comfortable. The brunch breakfast was decent and the pool was lovely. Downside would our free dinner on the first night which was very average, but other than that I would recommend the Tides.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
TidesHotel, Manager at The Tides Boracay, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hello s_phung,

Good day! We're glad you had a pleasant stay with us and hope to see you back soon! Please note that Tides guests are free to use the sun loungers at EPIC Boracay should you want to stay beachfront.

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The hotel offers a great location, in the thick of it all, with bars and restaurants of D’mall, but nevertheless a calm tranquil feeling once inside the lobby and courtyard of the property.

Very friendly and charming employees greet you upon arrival at Caticlan airport with a transfer that is swift and efficient to the hotel, as was the check in, sadly that’s where the efficiency stops.

I stayed in a suite, well large room with a bath in reality; the hotel is badly in need of maintenance or someone who actually follows up and repairs the items that are broken.

The toilet did not flush, reported, no action for the three days I was there, the tap over the sink was loose, the drainage was poor, the rain forest shower head was too high, as a consequence the water sprayed all over the floor, only one hand towel for two people, ran out of toilet paper, had to ask for more. There is a fully stocked mini bar, which I am sure no one uses, apart from bringing their own produce, so pretty useless, a kettle or coffeemaker in the room would have been a better option.

Breakfast was promptly cleared away at 10h00, in fact by 09h30 most food items had ran out with only replenishment once asking for more, made me feel like Oliver Twist.

Heavy club music was blaring out from the pool deck at 3:00pm, so the calm and tranquility was broken.

The entire hotel has seen better days, has such an overabundance of staff, which smiles and say yes, but does not get you very far with service, the staff are in need of training in service and follow up, if a manager was around to direct the overabundance of staff, with this, The Tides could really be on to a winner on the block in Boracay, if they got the basics right.

I would have expected better, for the price paid.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Quest_traveller,

Good day! We're glad that you found the transfers quick and efficient. Regarding your other concerns, we have recently renovated the rooms along the Solstice Sun Lounge at the roofdeck of the hotel. The music selection upstairs has been changed into something more suitable for the ambiance and limitations on the volume have been placed. We have noted your concerns regarding our staffs efficiency and the our breakfast buffet.

We appreciate your feedback and we hope to make it up to you on your next stay with us.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed there over new year on our honeymoon and had a great time. The Tides is perfectly located so you can be right in the thick of things but still be able to escape. Just metres from the main bars and restaurants as well as the beach we didn't have to think about transport once during our trip. The hotel itself was nice and clean and our room was spacious, although we did go for a superior room which I would recommend. The staff are also fantastic and can't do anymore for you. I recommend this hotel if you want to be close to all the amenities and action but still want a good quality hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Kevin B,

Good day! It's always great to hear when a guest has a good time during their stay with us. We appreciate the kind words. We have made improvements recently and hope to see you with us again. Please note that Tides guests are free to use the sun loungers at EPIC Boracay should they want an area to stay beachfront.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We like this hotel because of the quirky quotes. For example : just a few more steps :) (with smile character on the wall to climb up the stairs). In summary it's a fun hotel suitable for friends.

The front desk is very friendly. We got welcome drinks and wet towel. The service is good.

Unfortunately, in the room need maintenance. The AC is leaking, the toilet door knob is spoil, there's stain at the towel and bed sheet, the Wifi only work at the first day. The room is not sound proof, we can hear people walking at the coridor and the noise at the top floor from the bar.

For the money we paid, this is value for money. Best location with decent price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The website pictures must have been taken just before the hotel opened! Nonetheless, my partner had stayed here before, he also found a good online deal which meant we could stay in this beautiful island longer, so the room 'did its purpose'. The hotel needs to refurbish its rooms, extend its wi-fi into the rooms and review the breakfast buffet and perhaps employ a proper chef to cook rather then the waitstaff - oh, and the music the rooftop bar pumps out from 6pm... woa! You have been warned. Otherwise, yeah, it was alright - nothing to rave about.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

I travelled to Boracay for the first time with my brother, sister, and cousin. My cousin is from the Philippines so hes been there several times. He heard great things about the tides and we were excited to stay there. We arrived early and the front desk allowed us to leave our bags with them while we walk around and grab something to eat. Upon our return, it still wasn't time to check in so we decided to just wait in the lobby since we were exhausted and the heat was taking a toll on us. They have fans in the lobby. It's not enclosed so the heat is still there. Thankfully they offered ice drinks and cold wet towels. When we finally checked in and we got to the room, we found there to be only one bed. I booked online and requested two bed. My cousin (the only Fluent Tagalog speaker) went to the front desk and asked for two beds. They were not able to accommodate. Me of course being all about customer service was upset. So I spent the entire afternoon looking for another hotel for my brother and cousin to stay in. The tides wouldn't give me a refund if I were to cancel. I was upset because I specifically asked for two beds. Anyway, I found another hotel and I can talk about that one in another review (I really liked them even if it wasn't a top notch place! -- I'm all about the service!)

The room was on the first floor right across from the lobby. I hate the idea that the lobby personnel can watch you unless we close the shades on the sliding door (way to keep the light out on a beautiful sunny day!) the room was very small! Not run down like other reviews. It looked fairly new, possibly remodeled. The AC was not working so well and in a hot day in boracay, it was in our best interest to be outside than indoors. An issue we had was that the toilet clogged in the middle of the night. Not sure if it was because we were on the bottom floor and everyone above us is using the toilet or whatnot. We had to get maintenance to fix it for us. The bed was not comfortable for me. It felt very stiff.

The location was great. Right in the middle of station 2. We were close to the grocery store, shops, and the beach. My sister and I decided to try their pool on the top deck...big rectangle pool but no shade at all. I'm burning out there. So we decided to try back at night...flies everywhere! They need one of those OFF! Bug be gone kind of things to keep the flies away. it's a nice deck though that eventually turns into a lounge/bar with cabanas.

The complimentary breakfast was your normal Filipino/continental breakfast. At least it's AC'd in there. Overall it's a good hotel. For being in a resort area I could have opted for better service, a bigger room, and working AC. But for the location, price and the cold drink and cold towel when we arrived, it was worth the price.

• Stayed May 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the tides for the second half of our holiday in Boracay. Bad idea for a newly wed couple who had just come from another top of the range hotel.

As our decision to stay in this hotel stemmed from the photos on their website, we were very disappointed to find how poor the rooms actually were! Very run down with paint stripped off the walls in some sections and bodgy touch ups in others. Also very awkward set out, the basin is outside of the bathroom.

Very basic amenities that looked a little scary to use including a white bath tub with an old and discolored shower curtain and non-slip mat. Much of the water when showering goes onto the floor of the bathroom rather than in the actual bath tub.

The rooms are fitted with an air condition and safety box (probably the two best aspects of the room).

The pool is smaller than the photos depict however to its credit, the gym is brand new with basic weight and cardio machines. You also receive free access to wifi from the room which is often speedy.

In terms of location, tides is in the heart of D'mall. Good for those who want to be at the centre of everything yet not so good for those who don't. Shopping and restaurants all around including a supermarket within 100 metres. This hotel is not a beach front resort however the beach is within waking distance. In saying this, there is no access by any form of transport to the front of this hotel. You must walk roughly 100 meters through Dmall from the road.

The hotel staff are very friendly and welcomed us with drinks upon arrival. They also assisted in taking our bags to our room in which I might also add, there are only stairs and no lift which becomes a little annoying to travel in the heat.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone who wants more than a very basic place to sleep and shower. For the price we payed, I would expect a little more from a room and personally would not return.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to The Tides Boracay? Share your experiences!