“Did its purpose” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Tides Boracay

Save Saved
You added The Tides Boracay to your Saves list
The Tides Boracay
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   D Mall Station 2, Balabag, Sitio Manggayad, Philippines   |
Ranked #68 of 132 Hotels in Boracay
“Did its purpose”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The website pictures must have been taken just before the hotel opened! Nonetheless, my partner had stayed here before, he also found a good online deal which meant we could stay in this beautiful island longer, so the room 'did its purpose'. The hotel needs to refurbish its rooms, extend its wi-fi into the rooms and review the breakfast buffet and perhaps employ a proper chef to cook rather then the waitstaff - oh, and the music the rooftop bar pumps out from 6pm... woa! You have been warned. Otherwise, yeah, it was alright - nothing to rave about.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

I travelled to Boracay for the first time with my brother, sister, and cousin. My cousin is from the Philippines so hes been there several times. He heard great things about the tides and we were excited to stay there. We arrived early and the front desk allowed us to leave our bags with them while we walk around and grab something to eat. Upon our return, it still wasn't time to check in so we decided to just wait in the lobby since we were exhausted and the heat was taking a toll on us. They have fans in the lobby. It's not enclosed so the heat is still there. Thankfully they offered ice drinks and cold wet towels. When we finally checked in and we got to the room, we found there to be only one bed. I booked online and requested two bed. My cousin (the only Fluent Tagalog speaker) went to the front desk and asked for two beds. They were not able to accommodate. Me of course being all about customer service was upset. So I spent the entire afternoon looking for another hotel for my brother and cousin to stay in. The tides wouldn't give me a refund if I were to cancel. I was upset because I specifically asked for two beds. Anyway, I found another hotel and I can talk about that one in another review (I really liked them even if it wasn't a top notch place! -- I'm all about the service!)

The room was on the first floor right across from the lobby. I hate the idea that the lobby personnel can watch you unless we close the shades on the sliding door (way to keep the light out on a beautiful sunny day!) the room was very small! Not run down like other reviews. It looked fairly new, possibly remodeled. The AC was not working so well and in a hot day in boracay, it was in our best interest to be outside than indoors. An issue we had was that the toilet clogged in the middle of the night. Not sure if it was because we were on the bottom floor and everyone above us is using the toilet or whatnot. We had to get maintenance to fix it for us. The bed was not comfortable for me. It felt very stiff.

The location was great. Right in the middle of station 2. We were close to the grocery store, shops, and the beach. My sister and I decided to try their pool on the top deck...big rectangle pool but no shade at all. I'm burning out there. So we decided to try back at night...flies everywhere! They need one of those OFF! Bug be gone kind of things to keep the flies away. it's a nice deck though that eventually turns into a lounge/bar with cabanas.

The complimentary breakfast was your normal Filipino/continental breakfast. At least it's AC'd in there. Overall it's a good hotel. For being in a resort area I could have opted for better service, a bigger room, and working AC. But for the location, price and the cold drink and cold towel when we arrived, it was worth the price.

• Stayed May 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the tides for the second half of our holiday in Boracay. Bad idea for a newly wed couple who had just come from another top of the range hotel.

As our decision to stay in this hotel stemmed from the photos on their website, we were very disappointed to find how poor the rooms actually were! Very run down with paint stripped off the walls in some sections and bodgy touch ups in others. Also very awkward set out, the basin is outside of the bathroom.

Very basic amenities that looked a little scary to use including a white bath tub with an old and discolored shower curtain and non-slip mat. Much of the water when showering goes onto the floor of the bathroom rather than in the actual bath tub.

The rooms are fitted with an air condition and safety box (probably the two best aspects of the room).

The pool is smaller than the photos depict however to its credit, the gym is brand new with basic weight and cardio machines. You also receive free access to wifi from the room which is often speedy.

In terms of location, tides is in the heart of D'mall. Good for those who want to be at the centre of everything yet not so good for those who don't. Shopping and restaurants all around including a supermarket within 100 metres. This hotel is not a beach front resort however the beach is within waking distance. In saying this, there is no access by any form of transport to the front of this hotel. You must walk roughly 100 meters through Dmall from the road.

The hotel staff are very friendly and welcomed us with drinks upon arrival. They also assisted in taking our bags to our room in which I might also add, there are only stairs and no lift which becomes a little annoying to travel in the heat.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone who wants more than a very basic place to sleep and shower. For the price we payed, I would expect a little more from a room and personally would not return.

• Stayed December 2012
Quezon City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here from November 18-20. Two rooms. Traveled with my sister and her boyfriend.
Essential Room.

It was okay. Nothing spectacular. Loved the location of the hotel.
Staff were very friendly.
Breakfast was okay.

Weird thing, though: both our rooms' toilet bowl got clogged. Ewww.
The lower faucet of my room's shower suddenly fell to the floor.

But yeah, it was okay. Would probably go back if I would travel with my friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

After many visits in Boracay, we decided to stay at the Tides due to its central location. Service was good but rooms are in need ov makeover. Aircon was damaged and was not easy to adjust. TV was 5 years old. The rain shower needed replacement. Weird thing was the sink was in the main room and not in the bathroom... Breakfast buffet was average!

Does not worth the money they are asking for...

Room Tip: Second floor!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
manila
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Me & my husband wanted to book their promo but the sales person we talked to was suplada. She was not helpful at all and was very impatient with us while we were just asking the basic questions. We tried to overlook this, and still continued to communicate with her, but grabe. and suplada. We really wanted to try Tides but are turned off by the sales agent so we decided to go elsewhere. Better bring our money where there is better business. My suggestion to Tides Management, monitor and train your sales people they are your front-liners. If they are not helpful how do you expect people to choose your hotel? very infuriating.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Quezon City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I was excited when my friend got us a promo rate for The Tides for the summer season. I've always wanted to try this hotel ever since it opened some years ago. I thought it's the place I wanted to be. But when we actually stayed there, I was a bit disappointed. As always, it has some good and bad points:

1. Location: It's nice that it's within the D'mall and very accessible from the numerous restaurants (affordable, if I may add), the Budget Mart and just a short minute walk to the beach. However, as mentioned in the other reviews, if you like lounging on the beach, you'll have to order from the beachfront restaurants to be able to use their lounge chairs for free. Otherwise, you'll have to leave your things unattended on the beach. We've tried this a couple of times already and thank God we never lost anything.

2. Room: I was expecting a really nice room despite the low rate we paid for it. After all, their published rates are quite high and they've got really nice pictures on their website. (well,duh!) The room was very basic. It was clean enough but the bathroom only had half a glass divider between the shower area and the toilet so it floods when you shower. There were mosquitoes in the hallway so we have to get in and out quick so as not to let them in. There was no drying rack just the short retractable drying line inside the bathroom. For a family who's got swimsuits, boardshorts, etc. to dry after swimming, it wasn't enough. Also, they do not have beach towels for their guests.

3. Restaurant: I am very much aware that food inside the hotel is overpriced in Boracay, or anywhere else for that matter. But I do expect the food to be worth the price I paid for. Food in restaurants along the beach are quite pricey as well but at least they taste good enough. It took more than 30 minutes for an order of burger and fries and a bowl of soup. My 4 year old daughter kept complaining that the food was taking long - very loudly, if I may say so - that they provided us with complimentary drinks. Which according to my daughter wasn't good. ;-)

4. Service: The staff weren't as accommodating as I'd expected. When I asked to be moved to a room with queen-sized bed, as I've requested and they'd confirmed before our arrival, they seem to be unwilling. Thankfully it was indicated in our hotel voucher so they had no choice. The staff in their restaurant (Ka-on) were attentive and even asked for our card key so they can apply a discount to our tab as in house guests.

5. Discounts & Privileges in other Establishments: If you read the back of they keycard jacket, it says that you get discounts and privileges in the listed establishments upon presenting it. Got 20% discount in Ka-on (the in house resto) and 10% discount in Epic. Didn't get to try the others including Aria, Cafe del Sol, Real Coffee and a few others, though.

All in all, it was an okay enough stay for the price we paid for but I won't say I'd come back again. I'd probably choose another beachfront hotel when we visit Boracay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Tides Boracay? Share your experiences!