“A little disappointing !” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Tides Boracay

Save Saved
You added The Tides Boracay to your Saves list
The Tides Boracay
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   D Mall Station 2, Balabag, Sitio Manggayad, Philippines   |
Ranked #74 of 131 hotels in Boracay
“A little disappointing !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in the tides for the second half of our holiday in Boracay. Bad idea for a newly wed couple who had just come from another top of the range hotel.

As our decision to stay in this hotel stemmed from the photos on their website, we were very disappointed to find how poor the rooms actually were! Very run down with paint stripped off the walls in some sections and bodgy touch ups in others. Also very awkward set out, the basin is outside of the bathroom.

Very basic amenities that looked a little scary to use including a white bath tub with an old and discolored shower curtain and non-slip mat. Much of the water when showering goes onto the floor of the bathroom rather than in the actual bath tub.

The rooms are fitted with an air condition and safety box (probably the two best aspects of the room).

The pool is smaller than the photos depict however to its credit, the gym is brand new with basic weight and cardio machines. You also receive free access to wifi from the room which is often speedy.

In terms of location, tides is in the heart of D'mall. Good for those who want to be at the centre of everything yet not so good for those who don't. Shopping and restaurants all around including a supermarket within 100 metres. This hotel is not a beach front resort however the beach is within waking distance. In saying this, there is no access by any form of transport to the front of this hotel. You must walk roughly 100 meters through Dmall from the road.

The hotel staff are very friendly and welcomed us with drinks upon arrival. They also assisted in taking our bags to our room in which I might also add, there are only stairs and no lift which becomes a little annoying to travel in the heat.

All in all, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone who wants more than a very basic place to sleep and shower. For the price we payed, I would expect a little more from a room and personally would not return.

• Stayed December 2012

130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Quezon City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here from November 18-20. Two rooms. Traveled with my sister and her boyfriend.
Essential Room.

It was okay. Nothing spectacular. Loved the location of the hotel.
Staff were very friendly.
Breakfast was okay.

Weird thing, though: both our rooms' toilet bowl got clogged. Ewww.
The lower faucet of my room's shower suddenly fell to the floor.

But yeah, it was okay. Would probably go back if I would travel with my friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

After many visits in Boracay, we decided to stay at the Tides due to its central location. Service was good but rooms are in need ov makeover. Aircon was damaged and was not easy to adjust. TV was 5 years old. The rain shower needed replacement. Weird thing was the sink was in the main room and not in the bathroom... Breakfast buffet was average!

Does not worth the money they are asking for...

Room Tip: Second floor!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
manila
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Me & my husband wanted to book their promo but the sales person we talked to was suplada. She was not helpful at all and was very impatient with us while we were just asking the basic questions. We tried to overlook this, and still continued to communicate with her, but grabe. and suplada. We really wanted to try Tides but are turned off by the sales agent so we decided to go elsewhere. Better bring our money where there is better business. My suggestion to Tides Management, monitor and train your sales people they are your front-liners. If they are not helpful how do you expect people to choose your hotel? very infuriating.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Quezon City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I was excited when my friend got us a promo rate for The Tides for the summer season. I've always wanted to try this hotel ever since it opened some years ago. I thought it's the place I wanted to be. But when we actually stayed there, I was a bit disappointed. As always, it has some good and bad points:

1. Location: It's nice that it's within the D'mall and very accessible from the numerous restaurants (affordable, if I may add), the Budget Mart and just a short minute walk to the beach. However, as mentioned in the other reviews, if you like lounging on the beach, you'll have to order from the beachfront restaurants to be able to use their lounge chairs for free. Otherwise, you'll have to leave your things unattended on the beach. We've tried this a couple of times already and thank God we never lost anything.

2. Room: I was expecting a really nice room despite the low rate we paid for it. After all, their published rates are quite high and they've got really nice pictures on their website. (well,duh!) The room was very basic. It was clean enough but the bathroom only had half a glass divider between the shower area and the toilet so it floods when you shower. There were mosquitoes in the hallway so we have to get in and out quick so as not to let them in. There was no drying rack just the short retractable drying line inside the bathroom. For a family who's got swimsuits, boardshorts, etc. to dry after swimming, it wasn't enough. Also, they do not have beach towels for their guests.

3. Restaurant: I am very much aware that food inside the hotel is overpriced in Boracay, or anywhere else for that matter. But I do expect the food to be worth the price I paid for. Food in restaurants along the beach are quite pricey as well but at least they taste good enough. It took more than 30 minutes for an order of burger and fries and a bowl of soup. My 4 year old daughter kept complaining that the food was taking long - very loudly, if I may say so - that they provided us with complimentary drinks. Which according to my daughter wasn't good. ;-)

4. Service: The staff weren't as accommodating as I'd expected. When I asked to be moved to a room with queen-sized bed, as I've requested and they'd confirmed before our arrival, they seem to be unwilling. Thankfully it was indicated in our hotel voucher so they had no choice. The staff in their restaurant (Ka-on) were attentive and even asked for our card key so they can apply a discount to our tab as in house guests.

5. Discounts & Privileges in other Establishments: If you read the back of they keycard jacket, it says that you get discounts and privileges in the listed establishments upon presenting it. Got 20% discount in Ka-on (the in house resto) and 10% discount in Epic. Didn't get to try the others including Aria, Cafe del Sol, Real Coffee and a few others, though.

All in all, it was an okay enough stay for the price we paid for but I won't say I'd come back again. I'd probably choose another beachfront hotel when we visit Boracay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Mandaluyong, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Tides Boracay location was perfect for someone who looks for Metropolis feel in an island. It is situated in the middle of Station 2 where D'Mall is located. Location is good but for people who looks for serenity and privacy this is certainly not a place for you. If you are the happy type that wants the night life Tides will be the best place to stay.

Service was excellent people were so helpful and lovable. Even their GM was very accomodating! Thank you Sir! Service is very good and we are thankful for all the help and assitance they have extended.

Food was surprisingly good! I never thought they could deliver a good tasting asian fusion dish! I specially love the Asian Chicken Salad- sorry i forgot how you named it. They serve a very good Virgin Mojito and yes the best mango mojito in the island maybe even in the whole country.

Room was spacious and beds were really wide! It was modern clean and comfy. I just have some issues with their lavatory though, i don't know in other resorts but there are really some sort of a drainage thing that smells. But overall i love whatever motto or saying they paint in every bathroom.

If your a beach person this might disappoint you since the beach is far it may be walking dstance but still it's a struggle looking for a beach front that you can enjoy. Pool was very nice loving it's location and it was clean!

I recommend this hotel since it gives you value for money. Service was excellent! And just like what the painting in the walls..."what happens in the tides...stays at the tides".

Room Tip: If you like partying and will go back to the hotel not in your usual self...try booking a room on th...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

Having arrived late ( 3am ) we struggled to find accommodation at peak season. After hours of searching we came across The tides. What a find :) we booked into a large double room that was modern,clean and comfortable. I loved the little quirks on the walls throughout the hotel

• Stayed April 2012

Been to The Tides Boracay? Share your experiences!