“Not a bad place to stay” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel La Roca
Graham Avenue | Tagbilaran City, Philippines   |
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Bohol Island
Cebu
“Not a bad place to stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

My wife is a nice bathroom freak; and this hotel had a poorly designed and maintained bathroom. Otherwise the pool and fruit trees were nice. Looked like they did a lot of wedding parties there.

Room Tip: The family rooms have two queen size beds
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

Just a one nighter here after spending the week on Alona Beach. Rooms were old but clean. Mattress a bit thin. Cable tv. Hot water. I had the cheapest room. p875.00. Nice outdoor setting. Clean pool, I saw them cleaning it. Free wifi in lobby. The staff were attentive and seemed like they enjoyed their jobs - lots of impromptu singing - just up the road from a small mall. Enjoyed my short tine here.

• Stayed April 2011
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

This is a large hotel but on checking it appeared we were the only guests (yet apparently only the more expensive room was available- hmm). It is basic, uncomfortable and with a very noisy aircon.

The staff were a little rude. You now the sort of place where you have to wait for them to finish their conversations before they give you their attention. My husband had a badly bruised shoulder from having to move out of the way of the staff coming down the stairs as they wouldn't give way??

It did seem clean...ish. There were a few ants in the bathroom and it smelt a bit musty but the sheets were clean.

We took one look at the room and went out for dinner deciding to spend as little time as poss there. For just sleeping one night it is okay and very close to the seaport. We went next door to Bohol Topics to eat and drink (the best thing about it is the location).

Breakfast was very strange. We were obviously the only people there yet getting any service was a nightmare. She brought the menu so I said coffee and toast. The she went away and said I couldn't order from menu as breakfast was included. So she gave me a slip and asked me to tick what I wanted. Okay, so still just coffee and toast? It was all unnecessarily complicated when we wanted to leave for a ferry.

If you want a cheap night close to seaport then stay here but it is what it is. A budget hotel. It was clean enough but not comfortable. Staff do their job, just with no pleasentness.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I am originally from Bohol but grew up in Manila. Sad to say that everytime I hear people talk of going to Bohol, they come back with a comment that staff in the beach resorts / Hotels they go to only provide good service to foreigners but neglect to serve local tourists with a smile.

And I experienced this multiple times at dumaluan, bagobo, etc etc.

My wife and I stayed here for a night because we wanted a place close to the pier (a 3min trike ride) and within walking distance of the malls, city, etc.

Their staff was very nice from the receptionist, waiters, cleaners... everyone. Very very warm and friendly. The rooms are not as classy as the new ones around but the phrase "you get what you pay for" does NOT apply to this place.

It is cheap but very nice place to stay, it is quiet and cozy. The poolside diner was even romantic in ambiance. and the food is GREAT! again cheap but big helpings and big on taste! It is like eating homemade food and not commercialized ones.

I would reccomend this place to anyone who wishes to stay in the city of Tagbilaran.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
DOHA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

I was on my last leg of my trip and spend 3 nights at La Roca. In the Phils, in christmas time it so noisy, but I had a my best rest ever, hotel set just a short away from the city but surprisingly quite. Good staff , very reasonable rates, with a swimming pool at that!
More than value for money, I recommend it

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
bacolod
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

I was so disgusted of the staff,so impolite.We arrived at the port and i just give her my paper from my travel agent and she just walked without even welcoming us to their place or even saying ' good afternoon" ,and not even telling where to go,so we assumed that she'll be going to the van like what she did.The driver did not even bothered to offer a help for our baggage and didn't even bothered to open the car for our baggage to think that we came from a long journey and we were all so tired.The staff didn't even oriented us on how many minutes or hours we will be traveling form the port to the hotel.The worst is when we got there staff were so impolite and didn't even bothered to greet us or welcome us,they just handed the key and that's all.
I've been to so many hotels and all i knew drinking water is ready at the bedside for the guest,but for them you have to request for it.Whats even worst is when we left the hotel they didn't even bothered to thank us for staying,as if we just passed by the hotel.NOBODY even dared to help us with our baggage and not even a single smile we got from them.
To the management,please take a few minutes to review all the comments you have.Please tell your staff that they should not behave like this.They carry the name of your hotel,the success of you business depends on this.We were all so disgusted about our stay there and pls do some steps to improve the quality of your service.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

This was the worst motel i've ever stayed @ and i'm 52. All aspects of our stay were terrible. Should be called the Cock Roach Motel as i killed one @ 2 AM. My son and dau both recd several bites. Had to ask for a re-cleaning of the bath. Sink drain plugged, had to ask 2x for attention and they didn't fix. Staff screwed up our reservation and overcharged and wouldn't give us a refund immediately--said it was against their Policy. I told them i'd get the police involved and they gave us a cash refund the next day. Was an absolute pigsty and caused my family of five great distress--no one slept due to insects. The air con also didn't work properly. There is nothing at all remotely good about this hotel. As i told the staff in America a place like that would go out of business. We booked our last night at the Bohol Tropics motel and had an enjoyable night. If this review saves one person frm making the mistake of spending a night @ this hotel, taking the time to write this was worth it. Thunder Mountain Kid, Juneau, Alaska, USA

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel La Roca? Share your experiences!